Model Cars Magazine Forum

What happened to all the whitewalls?

The exact same tires were in thousands of kits over the last few years, too, and people are always parting kits out on ebay if you don't have a need for a full kit. I'm sure there are plenty of members here who don't use the whitewalls which come in the kits they purchase, so post a Wanted ad below and see what happens.

Some of these parts packs were released a decade ago now, too:

Edited by Casey

• 3 weeks later...

I'm forced to paint my own, at least the wide style used from about 1952-62 as OEM.  One-Shot bulletin white on a card with a dab of thinner handy, and a really good quality brush; I can usually get a full tire in one brush-load.  I have to set it up to rotate to make a good job of it; maybe not 'show' but sure passes inspection!  But, now I'm running out of black tires too!

I have one set, source forgotten, of the dramatic US Royal 'Master' pinstripe-whitewall tires, brand name embossed and all; wish someone would reproduce those beauties!  C. 1962-up they were de rigeur for Autorama-level show customs!  Check old HRMs.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/5/2022 at 7:43 AM, gwolf said:

What happened to all the AMT Firestone whitewall sets? Most of the major sites either don't have them or say they've been discontinued. I thought those were pretty popular?

For the last month I've been watching for a set and finally found some .  The seller's listing was wrong saying they were Gold Lettered tires so I messaged him and he confirmed they were the Deluxe Champions .  They were in my mailbox yesterday !

000 0007