Model Cars Magazine Forum

Alpha Models Ferrari GTC4Lusso - Update 8/23/2022

Exotics_Builder

First start of 2022.  I need a break from heavy detailing after the last few models.  I also put the in work 69 Camaro Pace Car away for a bit while I decide what to do on the stripes.  The decals are not quite Hugger Orange (and the Fred Cady decals I have are even more Orange).  So, I decided to pull out the Alpha Models Ferrari GTC4Lusso for a build.

For those of us unfamiliar with Alpha, they are the full model division of Hobby Design.  They do high quality resin replicas of cars, mainly European.  The kits are curbside, so limited chassis/suspension detail and engine detail only on cars that are midship with engines viewable from the rear hatch.  And, in those cases, the engine is simplified. 

I would enjoy more detail in the engine area, even for a few more dollars.  But modern engine bays are usually crowded and shrouded, so detail is limited.  The same goes for suspension.  Many modern high-performance cars have aerodynamic chassis “trays” to manage airflow, up to and including diffusers.  Other manufacturers such as Tamiya, Aoshima and Revell of Germany have included more chassis detail in their styrene cars, and it would be nice to see Alpha do it as well.  However, I would rather have the subjects available to build.

Alpha does, in my opinion, do a great job in providing interior detail.  This is an area where it would be nice to have a door opening option.  The bodies are thick and attempting to open a door would be a major undertaking.  So, I will concentrate more on visible detail.

I have included photos of the resin parts (very well cast and looks as good as styrene).  There is also an extensive PE set plus pre-cut windows with the blackened areas already applied (kudos there).

I have cleaned the parts with soap and water plus an alcohol wipe and getting ready to prime.  The panel and door/trunk lines are a bit soft and needed to be scribed deeper.  Newer kits from Alpha have much crisper panel and door/trunk lines.  Even though the kit comes with two different sets of 19” wheels, I opted to go with Hobby Design Novitec 20” with Hobby Design Michelin tires.

I am still deciding on color scheme.  I have three different choices and will narrow down after first primer coat and clean up.

GTC4Lusso (1).JPG

GTC4Lusso (2).JPG

GTC4Lusso (3).JPG

GTC4Lusso (4).JPG

GTC4Lusso (5).JPG

GTC4Lusso (6).JPG

GTC4Lusso (7).JPG

Edited by Exotics_Builder
  • Like 4

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 4/16/2022 at 6:19 AM, Exotics_Builder said:

After the first clear coat, the color darkened more than I expected.  Decided I didn't like the result and stripped it.  Going to my fallback, Rosso Fiorano.

IMG_60889-large.jpg

That’s a shame about the first colour. I’m sure the Fiorano Rosso will look great. What’s your technique for stripping paint from resin parts?

14 minutes ago, beeRS said:

That’s a shame about the first colour. I’m sure the Fiorano Rosso will look great. What’s your technique for stripping paint from resin parts?

I wipe off with Hardware Store Lacquer Thinner.  No immersions and no puddling.  Tedious, but does work.  Have it back in primer ready to paint.

• Like 1

• Exotics_Builder changed the title to Alpha Models Ferrari GTC4Lusso - Update 7/5/2022
3 hours ago, iamsuperdan said:

Even though a red with beige Ferrari is cliche, it's also one of the best looking choices. 

Looking forward to seeing more.

:)

I know, but this color scheme seemed to best fit.  Especially when the Bronze I tried came out way too dark brown with the clearcoat.  

9 hours ago, Exotics_Builder said:

I know, but this color scheme seemed to best fit.  Especially when the Bronze I tried came out way too dark brown with the clearcoat.  

Totally. Your bronze paint looked really good, but then seeing the red...it's just how it's meant to be. It's why every Ferrari I've built has been red!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Getting back on this.  While I am waiting for the base coat to dry before clearing and before I attack the interior detail, I elected to assemble the brakes and wheels.  Ferrari has the option for carbon ceramic brakes, and I elected that for this kit.  Also decided on red calipers.  Fortunately, Zero Paints has the appropriate colors for the calipers and to simulate the brakes.  The brakes are a multipart assembly with resin and Photoetch pieces.  Careful assembly is required to ensure alignment when mounted with the wheel. 

The Lusso decal sheet did not include Ferrari logos for the calipers (although other Alpha Ferrari kits do).  Fortunately, I have the Revell 599 SA Aperta that has very nice caliper logos.  I did a hi-res scan of the area of the decal sheet I wanted.  I then printed it out on quality decal paper.  The logo is so small on the model that I used the hi-res bit map and did not convert to vector.

The assembled brakes should look very well on the assembled model.  Now on to the wheels.

GTC4Lusso (14).JPG

GTC4Lusso (15).JPG

GTC4Lusso (15a).JPG

• Like 2

• Exotics_Builder changed the title to Alpha Models Ferrari GTC4Lusso - Update 8/9/2022
  • 2 weeks later...

Wheel assemblies done.  Alpha provides two sets of wheels with the kit.  But I decided to use a different wheel set.  I have 2 sets of the Hobby Design Novitec Rosso wheels and decided to use one here.  This also required different tires.  Again, Hobby Design came through with their Michelin Pilot Sport tires.  I used smaller front and larger rear. 

I cleaned the resin wheels and painted them (Tamiya Titanium Silver with TS13 Clear).  The wheels came with air valves, but my set only had 3.  Fortunately, I had backup in the form of ZoomOn air valves and used these.  I also looked at applying wheel weights from Highlight Model Studio, but a test showed that they just “disappeared”.  So, I left them off.

I had to do some modifications to the wheel mountings to the body, but nothing significant.

GTC4Lusso (15b).JPG

GTC4Lusso (16).JPG

GTC4Lusso (17).JPG

• Like 1

• Exotics_Builder changed the title to Alpha Models Ferrari GTC4Lusso - Update 8/23/2022

Nice build going on - you're doing some great detailing.

I followed a white one up the Baltimore-Washington Parkway for quite a bit not too long ago. Very shocking to see - I certainly never expected a Ferrari "station wagon". but it was a nice looking car.

Looking forward to seeing this completed.

• Thanks 1

Very nice. I love these Ferraris, altho I still like the FF the best. You are definitely doing this model justice from what I have seen so far. I've never built one of these models, simply because of their prices. They seem to have way better detailed interiors than similar curbside Fujimi models, but at five times the price, they are a little rich for my blood. What they have going for them is the exclusive subject matter. However for couple bucks more I get the finished to perfection resin models from the likes of MR, BBR, Looksmart, GT Spirit etc. in 1:18 scale. 

By the way, can anyone help me get a set of these wheels? They used to be available all over the place and all of a sudden just vanished from the face of earth seemingly overnight. I really, really need a set of those. Or any other Novitec wheels for that matter. 

Edited by mrm
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, mrm said:

Very nice. I love these Ferraris, altho I still like the FF the best. You are definitely doing this model justice from what I have seen so far. I've never built one of these models, simply because of their prices. They seem to have way better detailed interiors than similar curbside Fujimi models, but at five times the price, they are a little rich for my blood. What they have going for them is the exclusive subject matter. However for couple bucks more I get the finished to perfection resin models from the likes of MR, BBR, Looksmart, GT Spirit etc. in 1:18 scale. 

By the way, can anyone help me get a set of these wheels? They used to be available all over the place and all of a sudden just vanished from the face of earth seemingly overnight. I really, really need a set of those. Or any other Novitec wheels for that matter. 

What are you trying to accomplish using Novitec wheels?