Model Cars Magazine Forum

BRBO 2022 Brockway Dump Truck

• 2 weeks later...

I'm off and running and just a day in, have encountered my first issue.  I intend to use some oversized wheels and tires from AITM as shown below.  I checked fender clearance, etc on an A-Car dump I built in the mid-late 70's.  Everything looked good, I checked the front fit this morning and it looks like I may have to move the cab back a touch and therefore the dump box but we're only in the 0.10" range so no big problem.  I noticed the fronts sit at the outer edge of the fender so I decided to check the duals in back.  The results aren't good, I'm still trying to see if they'll fit the width of the dump body.  If so, major mods will be required.  I picked this build as I wanted something easy for a change, maybe I should just build one straight from the box.....

P1030290.jpg

No, the fronts will be fine.  Thankfully, last years Widow Woman Brockway 361 stalled at the decals and I have a complete cab with fenders I can use for mock up.  It's the rear suspension that's the problem, I can't narrow the suspension enough to get the tires under the dump body.  I've got an idea which should get it to look right but it'll require several hours.  Once started, there is no going back so I'll have to make it work.

I like what you are doing here. I had a similar problem with the S series International dump that I built. The wheels and tires wouldn’t fit under the bed. I ended up widening the bed. A couple weeks later I was behind a dump truck going down the road and noticed the tires were sticking out from under the bed on it. So depending on how much they are too wide a 1:1 might be similar. Looking forward to seeing more of this one!

Dump box is almost ready for paint, chassis is being modified for the Brockway cab.  After doing several Brockway conversions to Autocar kits, this one is somewhat familiar territory (though it's the first Autocar dump kit I've used, previous conversions have been the A64B tractor kits).  Work on the chassis continues until the battery boxes, air tanks and fuel tanks are mounted.  Once all the extras are on, it'll be off to paint. 

P1030291.jpg

8 hours ago, gotnitro? said:

Good looking start ! I was always told brockway used the bowed frames from Mack, yet several frames I've seen have been straight frames.  Can't wait to see your progress

Dave at AITM reccommended the A-cars for donor kits.  I've done most of the Brocks with the A64B as a donor and it certainly is the easiest conversion.  The Pete wrecker chassis worked but was a bit tougher.

Well, my hawks must have been on a break 'cause the squirrels got through!  This is what happens when the paint for the dump box is late, I got to thinking about some of the exhaust heated dump bodies I've seen and this is the result:

Two holes cut, screen installed and "covers" fabbed and installed.

P1030294.jpg

P1030296.jpg

P1030297.jpg

On 1/17/2022 at 10:36 AM, Mopar - D said:

Yea Warren I feel your frustration what looks like it should be a nice clean build and turns into a major building. Did you cut the fenders off the Brockway?

The 361 comes with seperate fenders, they were still in the bag when I took the pic.

Quick update, this is a mock up to check fit of the dump box and cab with the oversized rubber.  Dump body has been painted, need to add some detail paint.  I was going to try the chrome paint Mopar D used on his SuperBee fleet but after doing some test shots, I wasn't sure I could shoot a vertical surface without it running or sagging.  I resurrected some old Pollyscale silver and got it to go through the airbrush, came out with the look I'm after. The dump body is a bit off the back of the frame so it looks like a short extension is in order.  Cab is not the one for this build, it's from the on-hold Convoy build but it's all in one piece as opposed to this one which won't see the fenders mated to the nose until after paint.  A/C unit on this one is too high, if I go with a/c I'll have to find a lower profile unit.

P1030300.jpg

Progress shot.  Chassis is painted along with the cab.  Fenders have also been painted and ready to install when the cab is ready.  Dump box almost ready for the frame, once on will need to pipe the exhaust to the dump body.  So far so good, colors are silver blue pearl and dark blue pearl, both metallics. 

P1030301.jpg

• 2 weeks later...