Model Cars Magazine Forum

For beer drinkers only

Venom

Spaten Optimater and used to get it on tap at a German restaurant but haven't been able to import it for a few years. Don't know what happened. Any good dark beer is my favorite but can easily grab a 6 pack of Moose Drool or Longboard from Kona goes down pretty good.

1 hour ago, vintagerpm said:

Shiner Bock

Can you send me some?  Trade for a model perhaps?  We used to get it here, but about 6 years ago can only get the yellow carton stuff and it is not as good as the black carton bock.  I miss it.

So to answer the original question here. My favorite depends on the mood and session. (get it?)

Lawnmower beer is Hamms or PBR.

Founders IPA or Sierra Nevada IPA are goodies.

And Rochester Brewing Co MIlkshake Stout is my favorite winter relaxing beer, sometimes takes an hour or more to down the pint...

When I was stationed in the Philippines in 1985 the go-to beer was locally brewed "Red Horse". Pure Bilge water, but due to the vagaries of Filipino brewing the Alcohol content varied from a weak 3.2%, to upwards of 7%. There was no way to tell which was which. You could always tell when the bartender finished a case and started a new one, as the beer would go from "Wow' to *&$%&^   in one  bottle. The reverse often happened too.  Go from Dishwater to Pretty Good. There never seemed anyway to tell what you were going to get.  The little brown bottles had been recycled so much that the rims were worn and the metal caps barely stayed on. NO Church Key needed! Just pry with your thumbs. Ah, to be young again.....

Ditto to Keavdog, of course these are now only occasionally.  Back in the day almost anything would work, except Budweiser, I have never been able to drink that stuff. While in Korea, similar to Alexis post, the go-to beer was Crown.  It seemed to be anywhere from 3.2 to 70 proof.  You could sit there drinking until curfew, get up, take a leak and walk away or wind-up crawling on the floor after only a couple. A youth misspent.

I'm not that big of a Beer drinker as I once was. The last mass market type Beer that I would drink, and usually have in the frig. in the summer months is out of Colorado called Fat Tire easily spotted by the bicycle tire on the label. Lately I have been getting Beer from a local micro-brewery from Lawrence Kansas called Free State. I don't know if it is found beyond the local area but if you like some full-bodied brews, you should give them a try. The best experience is their restaurant in Lawrence as they offer several styles of Beer. 

Funny thing is I started out liking more full bodied beers... Sam Adams Boston Lager was my favorite, and one day I was with a friend and he gave me a taste of his IPA, and I about wanted to spit it out... I hated it and swore I’d never drink that lousy tasting trash... Well now Boston Lager is rarely ever seen i my fridge... and though it’s not technically an IPA, (it’s an American Pale Ale),the Dale’s Pale Ale is all I drink all year round now.... Funny how how that came to be🤷‍♂️

....I guess that’s why it’s always worth trying different beers

1 hour ago, Venom said:

Funny thing is I started out liking more full bodied beers... Sam Adams Boston Lager was my favorite, and one day I was with a friend and he gave me a taste of his IPA, and I about wanted to spit it out... I hated it and swore I’d never drink that lousy tasting trash... Well now Boston Lager is rarely ever seen i my fridge... and though it’s not technically an IPA, (it’s an American Pale Ale),the Dale’s Pale Ale is all I drink all year round now.... Funny how how that came to be🤷‍♂️

....I guess that’s why it’s always worth trying different beers

I've had Magic Hat #9 when I was in southern New Hampshire,..Nashua if memory serves...good beer !

We visited Magic Hat in 2016 when we were in Burlington.

I like most all fruity IPAs and tend to switch it up. My local grocery store carries Citrus Mistress by Hop Valley in Oregon. There are a few other NorCal locals by Auburn Alehouse and Device that I buy as well.

11 hours ago, vintagerpm said:

Shiner Bock

Yup.

7 hours ago, jaymcminn said:

Belhaven Scottish Ale.

Another winner.

Beer to me is kinda like wine. What I drink depends on the meal.

Others I'm particularly fond of (that come readily to mind): Modelo Negra, Yuengling Traditional Lager, Red Stripe, Guinness Extra Stout, Kingfisher, Taj Mahal...and 100 years ago, nothing could beat an iced down Miller or 3 in pony bottles at the end of a long hot day.  B)

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
TYPO

There are over 150 breweries in San Diego County. We have a lot of good beer to choose from. My current favorites are Ballast Point Grunion, and 5 Suits Pit BOS Hefeweitzen. I also like, in no particular order, Elysium Space Dust, Sierra's Hazy Little Thing, and Anchor Steam.