Model Cars Magazine Forum

For beer drinkers only

Venom

On 1/11/2022 at 2:36 PM, stitchdup said:

Ardbeg-Hot-Rod-Tractor-2c-1024x768.jpg

I surely hope someone’s already planning to build a model of this!

-A funny thing though... Just last night I was dreaming that my uncle and I were standing around drinking Budweiser The King of Beers out of a can and we were in disbelief of how good of beer it was because we hadn’t had it a long time. We were just standing there smiling and praising it like it was the greatest beer that we’d ever had in our lives.

Now I hope I don’t hurt anyone’s feelings, but in real life, I think Budweiser is about the lousiest tasting beer ever.... it tastes like water with a dab of apple juice.

1 hour ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

That wouldn't be a stupid assumption.

I suppose given just the statistics, it would be more of an educated guess than an assumption. However, countries around the world are seeing climbing obesity rates. It’s not solely an American phenomenon.

12 minutes ago, Venom said:

I surely hope someone’s already planning to build a model of this!

-A funny thing though... Just last night I was dreaming that my uncle and I were standing around drinking Budweiser The King of Beers out of a can and we were in disbelief of how good of beer it was because we hadn’t had it a long time. We were just standing there smiling and praising it like it was the greatest beer that we’d ever had in our lives.

Now I hope I don’t hurt anyone’s feelings, but in real life, I think Budweiser is about the lousiest tasting beer ever.... it tastes like water with a dab of apple juice.

I am, but my rear wheels and tyres are from the 1/12 57 chevy (a little too big but its what I have), witha heller tractor. Just need to order a drag engine for it

1 minute ago, stitchdup said:

I am, but my rear wheels and tyres are from the 1/12 57 chevy (a little too big but its what I have), witha heller tractor. Just need to order a drag engine for it

Les, that is awesome! .... If I weren’t so singularly focused on cars I would definitely consider it. Those back wheels were the first thing I thought of as presenting a problem.... So if the wheels you got are 1/12, is the tractor kit a 1/24?....

If there’s any chance you’d remember, I’d love to see your pics after completion.... Maybe PM me or something?... I usually never check the other categories except Model Cars and Race Car Models, sometimes the Drag Cars

3 minutes ago, Venom said:

Les, that is awesome! .... If I weren’t so singularly focused on cars I would definitely consider it. Those back wheels were the first thing I thought of as presenting a problem.... So if the wheels you got are 1/12, is the tractor kit a 1/24?....

If there’s any chance you’d remember, I’d love to see your pics after completion.... Maybe PM me or something?... I usually never check the other categories except Model Cars and Race Car Models, sometimes the Drag Cars

Will do if i remember, its a few builds down the line though. Theres video of the tractor racing an old lotus racecar on you tube, just search ardbeg tractor and its one of the first vids. I wont spoil the result...

• Thanks 1

I knew you were being funny. Maybe it's because we're in the same state. hehe

Someone mentioned oatmeal stout earlier and I have had a couple brands of those and loved them. Once had one for my lunch with some excellent cheese I believe from the UK as it had the Union Jack on the label. Very crumbly though.

• Like 1

We have countless Micro Breweries here in the greater San Diego area, but so many go the hoppy route which I don't care for.  Outside of beers I love a chilled cab and am a huge tequila fan - can't keep it in the house 😅.  My goto is Don Julio Anjeo.  1942 is nice as well but I end up missing the bite as some of the finer tequilas are too smooth if there is a thing.   Centenario anjeo is the best bang for the buck in my opinion.

Edited by Keavdog

Riley, as I miss interpreted your humour, it is I who should apologise.

Les, actually I forgot all about Asda being acquired by Wal Mart for a time. Thanks for the reminder! So I have shopped at Wal-Mart in around about way without realising it for some time now.

Talking of branding, Scotch Whisky is spelt without an e before the y. All others I believe have to be spelt whiskey.

On 1/13/2022 at 2:55 AM, Bugatti Fan said:

To those fans of Budweiser (The King of Beers?). Did you know that there is another Budweiser beer brewed in the Czech Republic?

It's sold in the U.S. under the name Czechvar. I can get it for $11.99 for a six-pack at the Polish grocery stores in Greenpoint.

We used to go trout fishing every year on the Connecticut lakes in New Hampshire and jump over the Canadian border for Laurentide Biere. That, a couple of loaves of bread and a bunch of bologna and we were all set. 
Unfortunately, Molson stopped brewing it years ago. 
   Coincidentally, that’s around the same time we stopped going trout fishing on the Connecticut lakes in New Hanpshire.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Venom said:

Does it taste the same?

Soitny. It tastes exactly like the stuff I used to get straight from Czechoslovakia. Budweiser Budvar/Czechvar beer is produced only in the brewery headquarters at České Budějovice and exported from there. When I was stationed in Germany in the early '80s, a couple of German friends and I used to make unauthorized border crossings northeast of Hundsbach inside the 1Km Zone (that only applied to U.S. military personnel and that section was patrolled by the 2nd ACR out of Camp Gates in Marktredwitz) and hiked a couple clicks to a small village to buy a few cases of Budvar at a small inn. The old guy and his wife spoke German; so, that made communicating easy. A case cost the equivalent of three bucks at the unofficial black market exchange rate. He told use he could use hard currency and accepted Deutschmarks and dollars. One time, we saw a patrol jeep coming up the road as we were coming back with the beer. I started to panic when one of the Germans, a guy named Gunther, told me, "Don't worry. Just make a stupid face and smile if they ask questions. They will think you're German." We handed them a few beers and they left us alone. :D

German Gasthäuser have what's called a Bierwärmer to warm beer. It looks like the handle of a potato masher grenade. The cylinder is filled with warm water and is immersed in a beer mug. I saw many oldtimers sitting at the stammtisch preferring to drink their beer warmed in this manner.

Beer warmer from Westmark

Personally, I lost my taste for warm beer after quaffing too many room temperature cases of Piels, Rheingold and Schaefer during my misspent youth.

13 hours ago, Keavdog said:

Ha - way back it used to be "FREE!"

I like FREE too!😁

11 hours ago, Venom said:

Haha, funny thing is, some beer actually has better flavor when warm...that’s a fact

My buddy told me when he was overseas in the service most beer was warm & tasted better that way. But I still like it better cold, especially on a hot day. Going to my fathers today and I'm sure we'll have a couple cheap Bush beers.

• Like 1

I definitely prefer it cold. I did drink warm Guinness in Ireland and the UK when on vacation years ago, but generally prefer it cold.   The worst experience with warm (or intentionally warmed alcoholic beverage) was mulled wine....a slight taste caused an intense gag reflex--couldn't drink it, smelled like turpentine. 

17 minutes ago, mchook said:

I like FREE too!😁

My buddy told me when he was overseas in the service most beer was warm & tasted better that way. But I still like it better cold, especially on a hot day. Going to my fathers today and I'm sure we'll have a couple cheap Bush beers.

Every gasthaus I've been to in Germany, and bars in other parts of Europe from which I wasn't banned, had cold beer in bottles and from the tap. On a hot day, a Radler (half pilsner, half lemon lime soda like 7-Up with some ice in a liter beer mug) is good.

On 1/11/2022 at 1:36 PM, stitchdup said:

Never heard of that in scotland, it might be a scottish recipe but its more likelly as scottish as mel gibson was in braveheart or an advertising slogan. You might like some of the brew dog beers though as they seem to be similar

If you guys want to trade model kits for single malt whiskys I'm up for that, lol. There are 2 whisky distillers, 2 gin distillers, 1 gin blender and one dark rum blender (its not very good, just cheap whisky blended with molasses) local to me, and I can get most up to 18yr old whiskys. After that they get real expensive. Personally I cant stand whisky but thats probably cos when we were little there was more chance of the shop having whisky than calpol so we got whisky when we were sick and it was rubbed on badies gums when they were teething. On a related note, heres ardbeg whisky's tractor

Ardbeg-Hot-Rod-Tractor-2c-1024x768.jpg

This is the coolest coincidence!! I’m not a beer drinker (I like it, but it doesn’t like me) so I just accidentally stumbled on this.
For my next build, I was planning on doing a custom tractor along this styling. I have the Porsche tractor, was going to use the tires from the Orange Blossom Special, and a big beast of a motor. Every once in a while I tend to build something obscure. My intent will be “custom tractor”, not “tractor puller”. 
I’m hoping to start in a few weeks, after I finish my Camaro. Maybe some of you beer drinkers will come along for the ride when I get the WIP started??

Thanks for sharing that Les, so cool. 

• Like 1