Model Cars Magazine Forum

California kid ford and sheriff Roy's Plymouth savoy.

happy grumpy

From the 70's flick " The California kid ".  Now for the Ford coupe , I tried to replicate the movie car but when it came to the decals , I initially found a set on eBay so I thought " great " I ordered a set , only to realize that it was a clear decals with only red flames so when you apply this to a black surface you end up with a shadowy reddish blob . So I look into the spare decals and applied a substitute that kind of looks like the flames on the car in the movie. The car is still around but has changed a bit over the years. I build it with the wheels it had in the movie. Sheriff Roy's car is the AMT belvedere converted to a Savoy. I looked at screenshots and did my best with what I had. I am happy with the results though, not exact replicas but certainly recognizable for anyone who has seen the movie.

Thanks again for looking.

Calif kid ford.jpg

calif kid duo 01.jpg

cal kid plymouth savoy 01.jpg

cal kid plymouth savoy 02.jpg

cal kid plymouth savoy 03.jpg

cal kid plymouth savoy 04.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jim B said:

Great combo, Mario.  Never saw the movie, but the cars are definitely cool!

How did you do the whip antenna on the Savoy?  Looks like Christine's good sister.

Thanks Jim and Bob.

James,

the antenna is just stretched heated sprue. It's a useful technique when you need thin, round antennas like they have on military vehicles and older aircrafts.

53 minutes ago, Bullybeef said:

What kit did you use for the 34 coupe? 

Bil, It was a snap kit from Revell, I only added the front bumpers and scratch build the rear bumper. The wheels and tires come from the kit bashing box. There is another kit from Revell (second picture) but it is unusable, the scale is off . I guess the ZZ top 33 could also be used.

CALIF KID FORD B.JPG

REVELL HOT ROD FORD 34.jpg

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, happy grumpy said:

Bil, It was a snap kit from Revell, I only added the front bumpers and scratch build the rear bumper. The wheels and tires come from the kit bashing box. There is another kit from Revell (second picture) but it is unusable, the scale is off . I guess the ZZ top 33 could also be used.

CALIF KID FORD B.JPG

REVELL HOT ROD FORD 34.jpg

Thank you Mario! Well done, I never would have guessed a snap kit.