Model Cars Magazine Forum

SPECIAL DELIVERY

mrm

Hi everyone.

This is a model I finished about four years ago, but never took the time to photograph and post. Well, the other day I had some time and finally took some pictures. 

The model is very obviously based on Revell's Paddy Wagon, but there is a lot more than meets the eye. 

TS0IcK.jpg
qlVPBH.jpg

The body had its side windows filled in and the frame received quite a bit of work. 

ojQqFC.jpg
tURwVc.jpg

The frame and axles received a major rework to make them more realistic, with numerous resin plastic and photo etched bolts and nuts. The front received three piece photo etched brake discs from Detail Master, with scratch built calipers that were plumbed with braided wire and machined fittings.

z3EZ1P.jpg

The wheels use the original kit's centers, but were reworked at the front to fit the Rat Roaster tires. Each wheel received a machined air valve. 

EYYcEy.jpg

The engine and transmission from the Rat Roaster were installed which was easier said than done and necessitated a completely scratch built radiator. It may look like the original one, but it is far from it. Plenty of photo etch on both its sides, covered by brass grille. Everything is wired and plumbed with plenty of photo etch, braided lines and machined parts. The valve covers and air filters are resin with photo etch from MCG that have been painted gold to match the rest of the engine. To say that making the photo etch throttle linkage was a pain, would be an understatement. The exhaust was dechromed and then sprayed with various Alclad colors. 

15qwOr.jpg
9AhwPT.jpg
eIs5JO.jpg

VPgjDf.jpg

8PH4rQ.jpg

The exterior was painted brown and all the graphics were masked off and painted on. No decals here. Then the details were added, like the handles from a Revell '32 Ford and the billet aluminum gas cap. The two short rear panels were sprayed a little rougher and not sanded, to look somewhat beat up and danged up. 

1EiPJG.jpg

The interior was pretty much 99% scratch built. The dash was cleaned up and received a digital gauge cluster. The shifter was made from jewelry wire and styrene. The pedals are photo etched parts from I'm not sure who. The seat is a highly modified portion of the original kit's seat. The whole floor is brass photo etched diamond plate by some railroad model company that I don't remember. The partition between the cab and the cargo area is scratch built from sheet styrene and rods. The cargo walls are stained and lacquered balsa wood with strips styrene and rivets made for military models, covered with BMF. The shelf is all scratch built from sheet styrene and then sprayed with Alclad. The ceiling is made from wood stir sticks. the fuel cell is from the Phantom Vicky and so is the battery box. All the steps were rebuilt with railroad photo etched brass mesh. The chain at the rear is also railroad modeling item. The dolly came from one of the recently reissued AMT Coca Cola kits. The delivery driver girl was a female mechanic holding a wrench, which I reworked and repainted. Tail lights were from the parts box.

3ibBAB.jpg

s8bi5P.jpg

Ev8biP.jpg

pulgeW.jpg

4cooDO.jpg

This model was a true labor of love and I poured a lot of effort in it. I absolutely love the end result and it is one of my favorite creations. However, it has been a total failure at model shows, as it has never won anything. I really don't understand why, but honestly I don't care much. It brings smiles to most people who see it and it is definitely a conversation piece, which to me personally is more important than a trophy. 

I hope you like it and thanks for looking. 

Edited by mrm
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

The most important person you need to please is yourself.  If judges just happen to be too, it's just a bonus.  I have a car that I poured effort into, has not received one award.  I can appreciate the effort on the engine and brake details.

Thanks for the detail shots and explanation of all the scratchbuilding and hard work that went into this magnificent creation!

My first reaction was "haha, a brown UPS Paddy Wagon with a hot delivery girl. Cool idea. Engine swap and Rat Roaster tires".  But of course, on second glance, there's a LOT more going on.

Fantastic work and a super-solid execution of the concept. I'd say this is a model to be very proud of!

Thank you all guys.

On 1/9/2022 at 12:04 PM, Spex84 said:

Thanks for the detail shots and explanation of all the scratchbuilding and hard work that went into this magnificent creation!

My first reaction was "haha, a brown UPS Paddy Wagon with a hot delivery girl. Cool idea. Engine swap and Rat Roaster tires".  But of course, on second glance, there's a LOT more going on.

Fantastic work and a super-solid execution of the concept. I'd say this is a model to be very proud of!

Yeah, I think this is what is happening with most people. They look at it without paying attention that there is not much left of the original kit, other than the general shape of it. 

• 3 weeks later...