Model Cars Magazine Forum

Masking tape experiment test

I have been seeing suggestions for using masking tape, as the material, for vinyl tops, and seat upholstery (for example), besides the normal use of masking for painting.  I know from experience that it has a short life (considering how old I am, let's say less than a normal lifetime), it loses the adhesive first, then it becomes brittle and crinkly, gets yellow, then it falls off or stays on the surface requiring a razor blade to remove.   If one keeps their model in an airtight box in the basement, it could be safe.  So I'm going to do an experiment, and I would like others to try it too, because a viable study requires multiple experiments, done by others who are better to be skeptics to prove me wrong.  I remember seeing paint test panels below billboards in Phoenix, Arizona, which is obviously a harsh climate, where the Sun's Ultra Violet rays trash paint, rubber and plastic in no time flat.  So this is an accelerated test.  I wrote the date with a Sharpie pen, which will also be tested against the UV rays because I know that fades, also did a squiggle with a Pigma Micron pen for my own edification.  In my case, it's on an east facing window (inside), it gets hot during summer mornings, but south and west should be just as good, but not north.   Tell us your latitude too, solar insolation is a huge factor depending on location.  I also have the brand of tape in the picture.  I would think humidity is a factor, but I don't care to go that overboard.  This should be as exciting as watching paint dry! 😆

Masking tape test.jpg

• 8 months later...

I was getting annoyed with looking at the tape on my door.  It's been 9 months.  The adhesive is still holding, but it's about to start flaking.  The Sharpie pen ink has almost disappeared.  The other pen ink has held up well.  The last stage of masking tape degradation is to become brittle and actually break when you remove it.  I just wanted to show how it's not a good idea to use masking tape for a finish product on models, and Sharpie pen is affected by UV rays.  Due to nobody else doing this test, I will conclude this is 100% proof. 🙄

IMG_4576.jpg

Do you expect us to believe actual physical evidence? I saw on the internet that masking tape always works just fine, so you must be wrong. (sarcasm)

Thanks for doing this, Kurt. I would never have used tape for the applications you mentioned, but hopefully you'll save somebody some grief. Now you can clean your window!😁

• Like 1

This can be the "control" experiment. Now you need to place the masking tape on a model and paint it. You will also need to use every manufacturer and color of paint that you can find. I am sure you can definitively get to the bottom of this. Please let us know if the paint delays or accelerates this process. Publish the results in a reputable scientific journal for peer review. Keep in mind, that I will only believe the results when I see them on Facebook. 

• Haha 2

Honestly, I never really understood the masking tape vinyl top thing anyway.

For anyone who has ever had a vinyl top on a car, you know that the grain on the vinyl is pretty fine.

It's designed to replicate the grain of real leather.

Reduce that grain to 1/25th scale, and masking tape texture would probably equate to a cow about 100 feet long and 50 feet high!

Masking tape texture is no where near close to being in scale for a 1/25th scale vinyl top.

Here are a couple of photos, (relatively close up ones at that) of 1:1 vinyl tops.

Even this close up, it's hard to see any sort of texture at all.

image.jpeg.03f33f6309df5f3270ff940e075f0b67.jpeg

f1840361798f1cec0a7ca68b36162629.jpg

70_Challenger+Vinyl+Top+%252841%2529.JPG

Reduce that 25 times, and you don't get this.

mcg713_detail.jpg

Looks closer to the 1:1 texture than 1/25th scale IMHO.

Steve

Edited by StevenGuthmiller
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Xingu said:

This can be the "control" experiment. Now you need to place the masking tape on a model and paint it. You will also need to use every manufacturer and color of paint that you can find. I am sure you can definitively get to the bottom of this. Please let us know if the paint delays or accelerates this process. Publish the results in a reputable scientific journal for peer review. Keep in mind, that I will only believe the results when I see them on Facebook. 

Or we hear from a certain know it all who hasn’t posted his opinion in a while.😆

• Haha 1

I did a masking tape vinyl top back in '01 or '02. So far, it's stayed put. It's in my garage where it's exposed to temperature swings. It gets a little sunlight in the late evening. If anything were going to happen to it, I believe it would've by now. I agree with Steve in that it really isn't to scale. But, it's no worse than than those that look like they have tiny pebbles sprinkled on. And it doesn’t have 1/2 inch thick scale laps. 

Edited by Plowboy
  • Like 1

Here's the one I did, with light "overspray". The rest of it's down and dirty, as I really just wanted to try it out. Usually, I would have taped off the trim, and shaped the seams. This is a slammer I did using the Hasegawa Buick. I used a spray bomb, to do this one. I would guess that even finer grain could be achieved, experimenting with an airbrush.

DSC_0019cr.jpg

DSC_0020cr.jpg

DSC_0022cr.jpg

DSC_0023cr.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 9/17/2022 at 2:59 AM, tbill said:

Near as I can figure, in 9 months, your truck moved about 3 feet…….

That was another experiment. 😏  It's actually project #189 that I finally got done this summer, widening, leveling, and making the end of the driveway bigger for parking the pickup.  One reason I haven't been working on any models, or been on this forum forever.

On 9/17/2022 at 5:55 AM, Ace-Garageguy said:

Science!  Actual definitive repeatable empirical evidence, with documented proof!

You sir, are a great American.

But beware. Being a proponent of giving credence to observable reality goes against the grain today.  

Dude, don't get me going, geez! 😆

On 9/17/2022 at 7:36 AM, Xingu said:

Just take my word for it, when I've sprayed thinned enamel on thick, the adhesive melts.  No pictures, something went flying and the words uttered are not allowed on this forum.   Seriously, I invite anyone to run the same experiment, let's see what different climates do.