Model Cars Magazine Forum

GSL-XXVIII COMMON KIT BUILD '29 FORD XPU MOCKUP

Hi Kit, this is just fantastic stuff. Your thought process and layout for what/where to cut is perfection. I will definitely be looking back on this when doing chop jobs in the future. Thanks for detailing the procedure. That mock up tease is killer. 

Cheers, Steve

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Steve H said:

Hi Kit, this is just fantastic stuff. Your thought process and layout for what/where to cut is perfection. I will definitely be looking back on this when doing chop jobs in the future. Thanks for detailing the procedure. That mock up tease is killer. 

Cheers, Steve

Steve,

RRR & I Have chopped a number of tops and kinda documented each of them, here's the Revell '32 Ford 5 Window Coupe:

762213099_KRKustomsRods325iveWindowRollingBonesChoppedCoupe.jpg.7271b121de72a51ad815aaafe3ac245e.jpg

K&R Kustom+Rods '32 5ive Window Rolling Bones Chopped Coupe

Third Cut the C Pillar to the Back Lite but not all the way through untilthe otherside has been cut to the same point

Blacken the C Pillar Cuts for Sanding to Create a Flat Even Surface

Check your progress to make sure you do not remove too much material

Sand the Surfaces to Make Them Flat Even

Test Fitting again took out one more inch...

'32 5W Chop Job - Step Cut the A Pillars Right & Left

'32 5W Chop Job - Step Cut the A Pillars

'32 5W Chop Job - Step Seven Set Alignment Blocks to the inside of the Pillars

'32 5W Chop Job - Step Seven Back Lite Opening

'32 5W Chop Job - Step Seven Left Inside

'32 5W Chop Job - Step Seven Right Side

'32 5W Chop Job - Step Seven Left Side

https://public.fotki.com/jferren/rolling-bones-style/

Here the AMT '34 Ford 5 Window Coupe:

1030038645_KRKustomsRods345iveWindowChoppedCoupeu.jpg.2250b6dc5fa9009471d75c6f79aa3745.jpg

https://public.fotki.com/jferren/34-5ive-window-heav/

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mr. Metallic said:

I love those wheels from the Revell snap 57, but always struggled with putting them on a hot rod because of the sheer size of the fronts. but pairing them with the fronts from the Revell Model A solves that problem elegantly. Well done

Wait 'til they're toned down a bit...

3 hours ago, Kit Karson said:

Here's an opportune moment, do you recall the era &/ kit that the trailer was issued?

That same trailer came in a lot of different AMT kits.  I don’t know when it was first issued, but I know that it also came by itself in one of the plain box kits.  I’m guessing that it was first issued sometime in the late 60s.  It currently shows up in the various race team kits, and also in the Fireball 500 kit, which is where I got the one in these pics.  It came as a tandem axle setup, but it is simple to convert to a single axle.  I also moved the axle back to improve balance, and added a couple of fenders scratch built out of a cap from a shampoo bottle that my wife gave me.  The Fireball kit didn’t include ramps, so I scratch made those too.51931DE3-364E-461A-AC04-3DB5E7EB91E3.thumb.jpeg.f1c23a597e3ca42f260b2792e676de28.jpeg57269198-6CCB-45B2-AC57-E3B971F9E7E0.thumb.jpeg.6470a37eaffa6ec25479d7ec25ab0730.jpegA8AAA0F6-D4EF-4E08-AB75-C285F0D1E293.thumb.jpeg.e793b87e65c752a2f4cf0a2d33e99cd9.jpeg485C067C-1AD8-4A7B-B702-1B1B0618E075.thumb.jpeg.4b55b109eda2506e205dbf27e7631c5e.jpeg

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Kit Karson said:

Here's an opportune moment, do you recall the era &/ kit that the trailer was issued?

Without having access to verify this from my box art stash, my best recollection is that the trailer first came as a bonus in the AMT 1964 Corvette Roadster annual kit.  I built a "restored" version from a glue bomb original about 10 years ago or so.  I'm sure Mark will jump in here with additional details and/or a correction, but the only reissue application I am aware of was the Firebird 500 kit.  The original version had a single axle and was a "tail sitter" (as the aircraft modelers say) because the axle was located too far forward to balance the load on a trailer hitch. 

The far more common AMT trailer that has been reissued numerous times as a companion kit and as the Blueprinter box version was derived from tooling first seen in AMT's very early 1960's pickup annual kits.  It was updated with dual rear axles early on and should be easy to locate and buy on the kit resale market.   It is entirely different (a different tool) than the trailer shown in Kit's markup and my build below...

Here's a photo of my kitbashed and restored "glue bomb" version....

DSC 0733

While here is a photo of a heavily kitbashed version of the far more common AMT Trailer seen in many combo kits and the Ertl Blueprinter box....in this case it was extended in length and a third axle added....but still clearly an entirely different design and execution that the one above.....TIM

DSC 0395

Edited by tim boyd
  • Like 2

The trailer that I show in my pics above is identical to Kits trailer, as well as Tim Boyds restored “glue bomb”.  It came from the Fireball 500 kit, and the only difference is that it came as a tandem axle, and included no ramps.  They converted the single axle to tandem by adding a pair of “duel wheel brackets” as seen on the instruction sheet above.  It can easily be converted back to single axle by simply eliminating those brackets. The same trailer can be found in the much more recent issue Piranha Street N Strip Drag Team, and the Grand Prix D’Amerique Cobra Racing team combo kits.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, foghorn62 said:

The trailer that I show in my pics above is identical to Kits trailer, as well as Tim Boyds restored “glue bomb”.  It came from the Fireball 500 kit, and the only difference is that it came as a tandem axle, and included no ramps.  They converted the single axle to tandem by adding a pair of “duel wheel brackets” as seen on the instruction sheet above.  It can easily be converted back to single axle by simply eliminating those brackets. The same trailer can be found in the much more recent issue Piranha Street N Strip Drag Team, and the Grand Prix D’Amerique Cobra Racing team combo kits.  

Thanks Tim for the added insight on the Cobra and Piranha Combo sets.....TIM 

• Like 1

On 2/3/2022 at 11:22 PM, foghorn62 said:

Not to derail Kits build thread, but are the ramps back in the recently issued combo kits, or still sans-ramps like in the Fireball 500?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mr. Metallic said:

Not to derail Kits build thread, but are the ramps back in the recently issued combo kits, or still sans-ramps like in the Fireball 500?

No, the ramps are not included in the recent kits that I listed above.  I scratch build a couple of ramps to go with my trailer.  Pretty easy scratch build.

TS

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• 3 weeks later...

While spending most of my time concentrating on the '29 Track Nose Roadster I had an epiphany!  The conclusion that I came to was the rear tires do not fit the new XPU body.

227945719_28XPUblackboxandvisor.jpg.c0606d72b77c5b19bf49df4ede5de1f1.jpg

So, I reached out to Hendley's Machine Shop.  John said he'd take a look at what I wanted to do.  Some may recall the last set of rims he did for me: 

1576226589_SaltsterRimsFrontBackBlackWall.JPG.b4de5df25d3a9ad127c54ffbba19419b.JPG

Saltster Rims Front & Back

I mailed the rear tires from the Monogram Black Widow Hot Rod

WP_20220225_001.jpg.6922994023dc88bdfcbb12d15c72dc8a.jpg

And, as with the Saltster Front & Back Rims, the rims are from the Revell '57 Chevy Belair

WP_20220225_006.jpg.4084fa1a57364e50a4105f0875b10cde.jpg

WP_20220225_005.jpg.5031ea85c3cb111d1e6761fbc3f47ff2.jpg

Little known fact: The front tires in the Monogram Black Widow Hot Rod are the "Big"s to the front tires from the Revell '29 Roadster "Littles"s!

WP_20220122_023.jpg.a92a75ed4dcc56b6c6d818926a0f72e0.jpg

So, back to John's answer: Stage one complete... Salties turned down to.760" Going with aluminum hoops to fill the difference!

555529293_28XPURearTires.jpg.ba46e4af566e0e5b7199770def178d75.jpg

Kan't wait to see them beside the XPU!?. -KK

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • Kit Karson changed the title to GSL-XXVIII COMMON KIT BUILD '29 FORD XPU MOCKUP