Model Cars Magazine Forum

My continually updated thread with fresh HOT ROD mock ups.

chris chabre

20220107_100747.thumb.jpg.f48dc8566866c33f72dd435ad3d11607.jpgdecided to sit down and pull some stuff out of my hot rod boxes. the blue pick up is an old Lindberg survivor, the 3 window and 4 door are Drag City Castings, the Vicky is an unknown resin. ill eventually finish the chop on the pick up and 5 window.  as you can see I'm mainly into 60s era drag Inspired stuff (the plan isn't a set of billets on the 4 door)  idk when I'll get back on these due to life BUT I have all the kits and parts needed between my kits and parts boxes.

20220107_100604.jpg

20220107_100759.jpg

20220107_100747.jpg

20220107_100735.jpg

20220107_100724.jpg

Edited by chris chabre
--
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Painted Black said:

Sometimes this is more fun than building, cool hot rods you have.

I think it is almost always more fun haha Thank you!

3 hours ago, Bullybeef said:

Looks a lot like my to be built pile (except a lot cleaner). 

Ive done my best in the last few years to fully organize stuff. Its hard because Im restoring a house, and my 3 buildings (shop, barn and garage) constantly moving things around etc but so far Ive been fairly successful.

• Like 1

needed to relax and its been too cold to work on my Comet in my unheated shop last night, so I dug out some more stuff to mock up.  Mini tubbed the Vicky, put in some blue windows and started blocking my Scott Colmer 40 coupe body as well.  my goal? no idea to be honest.  

20220114_180238.jpg

20220114_183711.jpg

20220114_183725.jpg

20220114_225414.jpg

20220114_232919.jpg

20220114_232913.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Good stuff. The mockup phase is always the most fun for me. Actually building the things is a lot like work:D

thanks Bill. Mock up is where I hash out my ideas and clear my brain. In awhile, Ill get tired of looking at these and change them up haha

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Scott Colmer said:

Hey  Chris,

All those projects look awesome. It's great to see you still have the 40 on the list. It's good to see it mocked up.

I like that helper too!

Scott

Thanks Scott!!! As you can see, Its morphed into a drag car as you originally planned! Time will tell where it goes from here, but I had to put it into the mix with the rest of the Hot rods!!! I have a few more thrown in there as of today

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Very cool stuff--pick one and drive on! Personally I'd like to see what you do with the old Lindberg truck. B)

the blue one is staying as is, its one of a very small group of survivors I have, I do want to get a pair of stacks for it since the original builder had a set on it . I have another someone painted this awesome pink That Im gonna mess with eventually

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dennis Lacy said:

Early mock up might be my favorite part of any project. Holding up a dozen different wheel & tire combos, hunting through bins and kits for just the right parts. Leaving it set up and checking it out as I randomly pass by the bench. Good stuff!

SAME! this is the top of my display cabinet in my office so its neck height. I have to walk by it everytime I enter or leave my office since its the front room of our house

• Like 2

2 hours ago, larman said:

A lot of neat projects going on! I really like the chopped 5 window window, the '34 pickup and the Lindberg '32 pickup.

thank you! here's another 5 window (this one a drag city casting) for the mix and a 34 cabriolet I'm channeling and converting into a roadster.  Thanks to @tim boydfor the idea of using the AMT 36 roadster cowl piece 

20220117_174109.jpg

20220116_172823.jpg

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, chris chabre said:

thank you! here's another 5 window (this one a drag city casting) for the mix and a 34 cabriolet I'm channeling and converting into a roadster.  Thanks to @tim boydfor the idea of using the AMT 36 roadster cowl piece 

20220117_174109.jpg

20220116_172823.jpg

Nice! I should have grabbed one of the Drag City 5 windows, I don't think you can get them anymore.

• Like 1

tonight's mock up has a back story...

saw a guy post on FB that he finally found one of these new in the box. I asked him if he'd be interested in selling me a pair of the headers, fenders and interior pieces. he said he'd gladly send me the pieces since he doesn't need them anymore...THIS showed up today...after I picked up my jaw, I went into harvest and mock up mode again. 

THE PLAN. I want to clean up one of the glue bombs and get it on the shelf. Im then gonna build one using a Revell body and nailhead, along with a pair of slicks and those chrome wheels from what I believe is an American Graffiti coupe

20220118_180053.jpg

20220118_191858.jpg

20220118_191912.jpg

20220118_191918.jpg

Edited by chris chabre
  • Like 2

I know I already told you this but that is so awesome. (My actual reaction is against the rules, LOL!) Truly some great people in this hobby. 

The mock up with the properly proportioned Revell body looks killer. Especially with the slicks and forward rake. It also looks way better with the chrome-reverse wheels instead of those fugly ones the kit came with. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Dennis Lacy said:

I know I already told you this but that is so awesome. (My actual reaction is against the rules, LOL!) Truly some great people in this hobby. 

The mock up with the properly proportioned Revell body looks killer. Especially with the slicks and forward rake. It also looks way better with the chrome-reverse wheels instead of those fugly ones the kit came with. 

I really wish I could get a photo of how well the interior fits inside the body!

• Like 1

tonight's mock up. I ended up with this converted 3 window body and chassis, so of course I had to do something. I ended up modifying a T bed because it needed something.  A friend of mine told me it looks like an old WW@ gas ration"pick up" got hot rodded. works for me!

20220119_201655.jpg

20220119_201745.jpg

20220119_203939.jpg

Edited by chris chabre
  • Like 2

• chris chabre changed the title to Hot Rods: Continually updated thread with fresh mock ups
16 hours ago, Scott Colmer said:

This is fun. I love playtime! 

You know Chris, looking again at that version of the 40, I can see I left some shoulder on it beyond stock. If you go one 1:1 with that one, it may throw you off.

Keep posting, I like the dream show of it.

Scott

you did, you actually asked me if that would be OK when you widened the roof. 

14 hours ago, Bullybeef said:

This is a great thread! I like some of the starts that you have. That lindberg 32 is a sweet find.

thanks! there are more to come, I just haven't had time to sit down. I have however been working details out on motors, etc...The 34 pick up fpr example will have a blown Y block  and belly burners.

That linberg "32" I had to have as soon as I saw it. I'm gonna build another slightly more in my tastes, but that one will never be taken apart. It normally hangs out with my survivor Riv and trailer

20211005_203531.jpg

• Like 3

• chris chabre changed the title to My continually updated thread with fresh HOT ROD mock ups.