Model Cars Magazine Forum

My continually updated thread with fresh HOT ROD mock ups.

chris chabre

• 2 weeks later...

Been focusing on some survivor rebuilds and my Lindberg 32 when I have some downtime. Honestly it hasn't been much lately BUT, I got this 31 sedan from @Sam I Amtoday and couldn't resist getting it on the mock up bench. Model As need to be slammed and motivated by a proper hot rod type engine. More later but it's gonna work just as I see it in my head

I'm a junkie for cool shoebox Fords and when this one popped up (as well as 3 others) I had to have it. All the body mods you see were done long ago. I'm going to reblock everything and get it looking good again in a fresh coat of primer for now. 

20220414_212332.jpg

20220414_212429.jpg

20220414_212454.jpg

20220409_123750.jpg

20220409_123741.jpg

• Like 1

On 4/18/2022 at 1:27 AM, Sam I Am said:

I love your table, and glad the A sedan is on it. 

Thanks Sam! I am as well, its gonna make a killer 60s era hot rod

On 4/18/2022 at 10:08 AM, Vintage AMT said:

I really dig this one.

20220409_123750.thumb.jpg.fb94455ee8bb96f40a090032e5076682.jpg.2d5d6ee56ed06fe74114f5e34ea90b1b.jpg

Me too! I HAD to own it as soon as I saw it. Im hoping to get the body blocked and body worked soon. The original builder did all the hard work. Now I just have to fine tune/ fix some stuff

Edited by chris chabre

The roof was an option on the '50 Ford convertible kit.  When this kit was first issued it had an option of a hardtop or a chopped top, even a Carson style half top. I built one of the chopped tops years ago. 

DSCN0588.JPG

• Like 1

4 hours ago, espo said:

The roof was an option on the '50 Ford convertible kit.  When this kit was first issued it had an option of a hardtop or a chopped top, even a Carson style half top. I built one of the chopped tops years ago. 

In the original version it was actually a full length Carson-style top in the kit. It got modified into the half top sometime along the way

4 hours ago, Vintage AMT said:

Is the roof from a Chevy? Looks familar, the wheels look like they are from the 67 Mercury Comet??

The roof imitates the roof of the 52-54 Victoria body style.

image.png.aecce7e834fa7c418e55f84434cdb7ae.png

6 hours ago, Vintage AMT said:

Is the roof from a Chevy? Looks familar, the wheels look like they are from the 67 Mercury Comet??

as others have stated, the roof is a kit custom option that mimics the Victoria roof line. The wheels are from the 67 Comet, I had them in my parts box and threw them in some whitewalls I had in there as well. Im not sure if they will make the final cut or not. I tend to use parts box stuff for mock up and then make my final decision as I Iron out the wrinkles of the build

• chris chabre changed the title to My continually updated thread with fresh HOT ROD mock ups.

I grew tired of staring at hot rods so I decided to clear the shelf of everything other than my 3 3 window design studies, and my Scott Colmer 40 coupe.

While organizing everything back into their boxes...this Drag City 32 pick up body called out to me and I knew what had to be done... A ONE MAN MODIFIED!

Initial idea was a lakes modified,  another is a 50s era drag car.. what will it become? idk yet, in the mean time, check out the new display in my Customs mock up thread!

20220516_194526.jpg

20220516_194538.jpg

20220519_195542.jpg

20220519_195531.jpg

20220519_195525.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, chris chabre said:

While organizing everything back into their boxes...this Drag City 32 pick up body called out to me and I knew what had to be done... A ONE MAN MODIFIED!

Initial idea was a lakes modified,  another is a 50s era drag car.. what will it become? idk yet, in the mean time, check out the new display in my Customs mock up thread!

20220516_194538.jpg

You're killing me with this one. You HAVE to go lakes modified. I always love seeing guys mess around with this body, it's so adaptable to so many different styles, but this is a first. I have a bunch of these bodies myself, and thought about a lakes mod, but you making it a single seater is inspired!

1 minute ago, Mr. Metallic said:

You're killing me with this one. You HAVE to go lakes modified. I always love seeing guys mess around with this body, it's so adaptable to so many different styles, but this is a first. I have a bunch of these bodies myself, and thought about a lakes mod, but you making it a single seater is inspired!

I'll see what I can do. I almost made it narrower but decided the width of the cowl was enough. Next I'm planning to narrow a deuce frame for it 

On 1/19/2022 at 7:53 PM, chris chabre said:

tonight's mock up. I ended up with this converted 3 window body and chassis, so of course I had to do something. I ended up modifying a T bed because it needed something.  A friend of mine told me it looks like an old WW@ gas ration"pick up" got hot rodded. works for me!

20220119_201655.jpg

20220119_201745.jpg

20220119_203939.jpg

@chris chabrefound it.

Sport coupe influence with the door frame windows and no top, but the sport coupes had doors like the 5w, the 3w doors give it a great look here. The tub influence on the back end of the body is a neat idea. Definitely looking forward to more on this one when you get to it. 

21 minutes ago, Mr. Metallic said:

@chris chabrefound it.

Sport coupe influence with the door frame windows and no top, but the sport coupes had doors like the 5w, the 3w doors give it a great look here. The tub influence on the back end of the body is a neat idea. Definitely looking forward to more on this one when you get to it. 

when I got it from the original builder, it was just the body and a shortened frame. It needed more length to look right so out came the truck beds in the stash. the T bed looked right, esp when I move the rearend back. I envision it as sort of a WW2 ration type car that got turned Into a 60s era hot rod. tje paint job on it will be stripped and something more appropriate will go on

• Like 1