Model Cars Magazine Forum

Something To Hold Your Model While You Work On It

I've had issues in the past when trying to do delicate work on a project. I'm talking about placing decals, attaching very small parts, etc. I saw a suggestion some time back here on the forum about circuit board holders. Well, I ought one and I'm very happy with the results I'm getting. I've finished my Bugeye and used the holder when I was doing decal work and attaching parts like the windscreen and mirrors. I've included pics of the model before I attached the mirrors. What I really like is being able to rotate the model and hold it in place at any angle. I modified it by covering the each of the plastic holders with a soft makeup sponge. I used zip ties to hold them in place.

20220106_140559.jpg

20220106_140719.jpg

20220106_140751.jpg

20220106_140935.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It is a good idea… I went ahead and ordered one. Just beware that most of the listings on eBay are for a holder with maximum PCB length of 20cm and width 14cm, which is a bit small for 1/24 1/25 cars. I found one that’s bit more expensive that goes up to 30cm long.

best,

M.

11 hours ago, 89AKurt said:

I just ordered one yesterday!  Saw the idea on Fakebook.  I like the sponge idea, could they be stuck on with r/c servo tape?

Maybe. The plastic parts have grooves. I'm not sure what r/c servo tape is.

38 minutes ago, Matt Bacon said:

Just beware that most of the listings on eBay are for a holder with maximum PCB length of 20cm and width 14cm, which is a bit small for 1/24 1/25 cars. I found one that’s bit more expensive that goes up to 30cm long.

best,

M.

I thought about that and decided that I could buy some rectangular steel and cut it to the desired length. 

2 hours ago, Miatatom said:

Maybe. The plastic parts have grooves. I'm not sure what r/c servo tape is.

Received today!   R/C servo tape is fairly thick foam, doubled sided sticky adhesive.  I'm also thinking of trying foam weather stripping tape, only because I have some.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've invested in one and some metal from eBay to increase its flexibility.

boss-mustang-topdown.jpg

boss-mustang.jpg

jag-chassis.jpg

all-cars.jpg

The basic product (https://thepihut.com/products/fully-adjustable-pcb-clamp-holder) is a little bit too short to reliably hold everything you might want to throw at it (max length is 20cm or so). So I bought 50cm of 30mmx15mm steel rectangular tube section off eBay, which should hold pretty much anything in any rational scale. I also invested in some 1/2" x 1/2" x 1/16" aluminium T section, which is glued into the board clamps, and foam attached to the flat surface with double sided tape to provide a firm and flexible grip. I haven't used it in anger yet, but tests with a large 1/25 body and a smaller 1/32 suggest it will do the job...

best,

M.

Edited by Matt Bacon