Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 1955 Chevy Bel Air.

Dragonhawk1066

Getting started on my first of the year, and my first "Shoebox" Chevy. It will be a Creamsicle Orange and White two-tone with a Beige interior, a big block Chevy under the Lex's Scale Modeling cowl induction hood, and ride on Pegasus 19" front/23" rear "Chrome T's". Hopefully I can keep the ride height when all is said and done.

DSCN9573.JPG

DSCN9574.JPG

DSCN9575.JPG

I managed to get the body in Stynylrez White Primer on Wednesday, then wet-sanded the primer coat yesterday. It might be kind of hard to see in the pics, but I got the Pearl White (actually Anita's White Metallic craft paint) sprayed on today. I put four coats on the roof, trunk, and rear 1/4's. I also put two coats on the rest of the body and hood hoping it would help as an undercoat to the custom mixed Pearl Creamsicle color I hope to spray on tomorrow. I also got the interior sprayed in a custom mixed Beige color, and I really like how it turned out.

DSCN9581.JPG

DSCN9584.JPG

DSCN9588.JPG

DSCN9589.JPG

DSCN9596.JPG

Edited by Dragonhawk1066

19 hours ago, CabDriver said:

That craft paint looks great! Are you laying down a barrier coat before masking, or just masking right over it?

I just masked over it. It dries pretty fast, and I made sure not to press too hard on the tape when masking. Turned out great with no lift-off.

Got the custom mixed Orange on the '55 this morning, I guess it's more Orange Sherbet than Creamsicle, lol. It's a little bit lighter than I would have gone, but it's my wife's color choice and she loves it, so that's all that matters. I think I'll use Green Stuff World Chrome for the trim, so lots of masking coming up Monday or Tuesday.

DSCN9597.JPG

DSCN9598.JPG

DSCN9600.JPG

DSCN9601.JPG

DSCN9605.JPG

• Like 1

23 hours ago, CabDriver said:

You’re braver than me - but it came out great!  Super clean!

LOL! Thanks! The beauty with craft paints is that if it would have pulled any paint up, a scrub in some water would have removed the rest, and I would have been able to re-paint as soon as it was dry again. Still a risk, but I've worked with craft paints a lot and have never really had a problem with tape lifting off the paint, even after a few hours.

10 hours ago, FLHCAHZ said:

Looks great!  I am wanting to try the Green Stuff World Chrome.  Will you show the process? 

Thanks! I will if I can remember, lol. It will consist of taping off all of the trim, painting it gloss black, and then airbrushing the chrome. It will be the first time since I got back into the hobby 4 years ago that I will not be using Bare Metal Foil for the trim on a build. Barbatos Rex on youtube has a great video on using it.

I got the clear on today, it's not knock out bright and glossy, but I wasn't expecting that with these colors, or the Clear Varnish(In the background of the first two pics here) I used. I will let it sit for a few days and then wet-sand, polish, and wax(which based on previous uses of the clear, should brighten it up a bit), before taping off the trim  for the chrome process. I two-toned the interior yesterday, and added the foil on the trim, and brush painted Molotow Chrome on the door handles and window cranks today. I also detailed the dash today by brush painting Molotow on the insert. I painted the gauge background black, lightly brushed some Molotow onto the numbers and script, and touched up any excess afterwards with Tamiya Panel Line Accent.

DSCN9610.JPG

DSCN9612.JPG

DSCN9616.JPG

DSCN9619.JPG

Edited by Dragonhawk1066

Looks great, and your dash is a freekin' work of art. Gonna tackle the dash on my own project in a few days, so consider me inspired!

Also looking forward to the Green Stuff treatment for your trim. I bought some BMF but haven't tried it before, and there's a lot of anxiety that I might mess up an otherwise nice model..