Model Cars Magazine Forum

AWD Twin-Turbo Mount-Washington hillclimbing... GREMLIN!

Hi!

Since I was 15 and helped my next-door friend instal Hooker headers on his 304 - 3 speed Gremlin X, I always had a soft spot for the strange little car from AMC...

I had a 76 AMT Gremlin X in my stash, but what to do with it that would be a bit unusual?

Let's see... I LOVE traveling to the Mount-Washington Valley in New-Hampshire, and I've driven to the top of the mountain a few times, by car and motorcycle. And I LOVE a famous Mexican restaurant in nearby Conway Village, the Cafe Noche. What if, in my fantasy, an all wheel-drive, twin turbo rallye Gremlin, sponsored by said restaurant, would enter the famous Run to the clouds,  Mt Washington's response to Pikes Peak, held in mid-summer since eons? 

There you have it: AMT 76 Gremmy, mashed with AMT's Dodge Stealth powertrain and platform, both extensively modified, of course. Parts box seats, Foose 64 Impala rolling stock, Monogram's Turbo TBird intercooler, MPC's borsch altered wing (modified). Throw in a lot of scratchbuilt: door panels, roll-bar, console, shifter, hand-brake, bumpers, scoops, radio antenna, air intake plenum, some sponsor and event home-made decals, etc. Tamya's paints + Alclad and Molotow's chrome. 

It remains to be seen if the typical Subarus and Focus will feel threatened... But we can entertain the fantasy. 

Hours of fun with styrene!

CT 

DSC01328 (2).JPG

DSC01329 (2).JPG

DSC01334 (2).JPG

DSC01336 (2).JPG

DSC01335 (2).JPG

DSC01337 (2).JPG

DSC01339 (2).JPG

DSC01341 (2).JPG

DSC01345 (2).JPG

DSC01348 (2).JPG

DSC01349 (2).JPG

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, cobraman said:

Very nice ! Best use of a Gremlin I have seen.

Thank you Ray!

I remember a fellow modeler ( Eric Ritz maybe?) who post on this forum once made a gasser version, in purple and bright green "flake", that was REALLY nice.

What can I say: variety is the spice of life...

CT 

Great job Claude!

Your imagination never stops... but even if it's fantasy, I think you didn't distort it too much with the Dodge Stealth powertrain, it stays in the family I would say!   Certainly anyone who sees this in their rear view mirror might be tempted to brake to see what's behind them and that could be an advantage in crossing the finish line first...LOL 😁

I can't remember the last time I saw a real one, you have to come here to refresh your memory, that's the advantage of scale models!

By the way, this is another clean and high quality build from you my friend, you never fail to impress and I still am!!! 👍

49 minutes ago, AmericanMuscleFan said:

Great job Claude!

Your imagination never stops... but even if it's fantasy, I think you didn't distort it too much with the Dodge Stealth powertrain, it stays in the family I would say!   Certainly anyone who sees this in their rear view mirror might be tempted to brake to see what's behind them and that could be an advantage in crossing the finish line first...LOL 😁

I can't remember the last time I saw a real one, you have to come here to refresh your memory, that's the advantage of scale models!

By the way, this is another clean and high quality build from you my friend, you never fail to impress and I still am!!! 👍

Hi Francis!

Thanks for the comments.

And come to think of it, I think you are right: any Gremlin growing on you in the rear-view mirror might have a disconcerting effect! Another case of "Objects in the mirror are closer than they appear"... LOL. 

CT

Whoa there partner, you’re gettin close to my hood now!  And tuggin at my Texas roots with the suggestion of Mexican food…well, we might just have to meet for a plate of fajitas, and a couple of margaritas.  Who’d a thunk that we share a fondness for those little sawed off Ramblers to boot?  You’ve got it all goin on my friend!  Another awesome example of that amazing imagination of yours.  

As long as we’re on the subject of “a bit unusual”, did I ever show you this one?  

TCOTT

image.jpeg

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, foghorn62 said:

Whoa there partner, you’re gettin close to my hood now!  And tuggin at my Texas roots with the suggestion of Mexican food…well, we might just have to meet for a plate of fajitas, and a couple of margaritas.  Who’d a thunk that we share a fondness for those little sawed off Ramblers to boot?  You’ve got it all goin on my friend!  Another awesome example of that amazing imagination of yours.  

As long as we’re on the subject of “a bit unusual”, did I ever show you this one?  

TCOTT

image.jpeg

Hi Tim!

Thanks for the comments.

Your concept reminds me a bit of a couple concept cars that AMC created for the show circuit, back then. One was a mash-up of an AMX/Javelin front end, with a Gremlin rear section. It was really nice. Yours has more of a "show car " attitude, with the layered grille and giant rear meats. Really unique!

As for the Tex-Mex, I sampled many fine restaurants in your neck of the wood. There used to be one on Mountain Road, in Stowe, in an old house. I think they later moved to the lakeshore /Church street district in Burlington, in search of year-round clientele... but I'm afraid they are closed now. There's also the Nero Gato in downtown Burlington, that was fine. But nothing tops the Cafe Noche in Conway Village, NH. 

Hope to be there soon, I'll stop by to shake hands with you on the way to the feast...

CT 

32 minutes ago, Rob Hall said:

Very cool Gremlins...now I'm getting the urge to kit bash one with a Jeep and do a desert Baja style racer...

Hi Robert!

Please do, I'm certain we have not exhausted the creative possibility for this little critter. The standard fender flares are well suited for any application that requires a bit more rubber at the four corners. Keep them coming!

CT 

On 1/8/2022 at 2:11 PM, cobraman said:

Very nice ! Best use of a Gremlin I have seen.

I’m with Ray. This is definitely a great look for a Gremlin. Then again, I would expect nothing less from the house of Claude! I’m hungry now too! First the pizza truck, now this, I see a theme… you’re speaking my language. Styrene and great food!!! 

Cheers, Steve