Model Cars Magazine Forum

AWD Twin-Turbo Mount-Washington hillclimbing... GREMLIN!

23 hours ago, Steve H said:

I’m with Ray. This is definitely a great look for a Gremlin. Then again, I would expect nothing less from the house of Claude! I’m hungry now too! First the pizza truck, now this, I see a theme… you’re speaking my language. Styrene and great food!!! 

Cheers, Steve

Hi Steve!

Thanks for the comments, it means a lot to me.

You know, in the french language, we have a saying that would loosely translates to " when it happens twice, it's bound to happen a third time" . So, after pizza and Tex-Mex, what will it be? Let me see... One of my friends runs the best italian restaurant in town, and his "linguine pesto" has delected guests from all over the world visiting Quebec city.

I'll see what I can do! 

CT

Love the concept and how you brought it to reality from your mind... and it looks even more Gremlin-y with that wing... I probably would have thought of a drag car or pro street for the little Gremlin, but hill climb is even better!... Great execution of ideas!

.... And this got me thinking of the Pike’s Peak record of  7 minutes and 57 seconds up more than 14 thousand feet of gravel mountain road... which is truly mind boggling for anyone who’s driven up mountains regularly. We have a 10,000 foot mountain on the edge of town which is fully paved, and pushing the speed limit of 30 to 60 mph on winding switchbacks takes approximately 9 minutes to get to the top... So, I can’t really wrap my head around 7:57 up 14,000+ feet of loose gravel... it would be extreme insanity!

......Well I guess I stand corrected. It is a paved road and the record is 5:55.246!.... and this is what It looks like🤪

Edited by Venom

3 hours ago, Venom said:

Love the concept and how you brought it to reality from your mind... and it looks even more Gremlin-y with that wing... I probably would have thought of a drag car or pro street for the little Gremlin, but hill climb is even better!... Great execution of ideas!

.... And this got me thinking of the Pike’s Peak record of  7 minutes and 57 seconds up more than 14 thousand feet of gravel mountain road... which is truly mind boggling for anyone who’s driven up mountains regularly. We have a 10,000 foot mountain on the edge of town which is fully paved, and pushing the speed limit of 30 to 60 mph on winding switchbacks takes approximately 9 minutes to get to the top... So, I can’t really wrap my head around 7:57 up 14,000+ feet of loose gravel... it would be extreme insanity!

......Well I guess I stand corrected. It is a paved road and the record is 5:55.246!.... and this is what It looks like🤪

Hi Josh!

Thanks for the compliments.

I alluded to Pike's Peak in my intro, cause I knew it was more of an household name than the Mount Washington's Run to the clouds. I never raced that mountain, but climbing it with my Harley was interesting.

First, the warden at the gate advises you that temperature at the summit is 40F degrees lower that at the base. So much for lightly dressed summer riders! While climbing, you run trough 3 succeding types of vegetation: full forest canopy, then lean bushes, then rock and moss. And you can't really appreciate Mt Washington until you drive back down. Good luck with the brakes! 

Finally, the TV and FM transmitters buildings at the summit are CHAINED to the rock, for this is where the highest winds ever measured on earth were reported. 265 MPH, if I remember properly (don't hold me on this... I'm getting older by the day...). Whatever the exact number, I can attest that it humbles you when you think about it, on a "mild" summer day at the summit. 

CT 

2 hours ago, Claude Thibodeau said:

Hi Josh!

Thanks for the compliments.

I alluded to Pike's Peak in my intro, cause I knew it was more of an household name than the Mount Washington's Run to the clouds. I never raced that mountain, but climbing it with my Harley was interesting.

First, the warden at the gate advises you that temperature at the summit is 40F degrees lower that at the base. So much for lightly dressed summer riders! While climbing, you run trough 3 succeding types of vegetation: full forest canopy, then lean bushes, then rock and moss. And you can't really appreciate Mt Washington until you drive back down. Good luck with the brakes! 

Finally, the TV and FM transmitters buildings at the summit are CHAINED to the rock, for this is where the highest winds ever measured on earth were reported. 265 MPH, if I remember properly (don't hold me on this... I'm getting older by the day...). Whatever the exact number, I can attest that it humbles you when you think about it, on a "mild" summer day at the summit. 

CT 

Awesome!

50 minutes ago, Rigor said:

Looks killer Claude funny thing is I used to work at Cafe noche years ago Tom the owner is a nice guy man haven't heard that name in a long time 

Hi Dwayne! 

Well, it's a small world, as they say. How amusing.

We may have met, because I was there countless times in the last 8 to 10 years. I was tipped on this restaurant by the Concierge at the Green Mountain Inn in North-Conway, and I must admit I was a bit hesitant when I entered the restaurant. But as we all know, it's what happens in the kitchens and ... in your mouth that matters. It was Tex-Mex Nirvana, as far as I'm concerned. I plan to return again later this spring. 

I tried to download their logo from their website to print my sponsor decal, but to no avail. I had to duplicate it, as well as I could with my computer Word software. 

Thanks for your comments. See you at Cafe Noche!

CT 

• 2 weeks later...
20 hours ago, happy grumpy said:

Another example of your craftsmanship and talent to integrate new tech with old school designs. This shed a new light on what those old cars would have evolved into had they been successful.

great job as usual.

Merci Mario!

Truth be told, I was much inspired by a series of illustrations that the great Steve Stanford created for Hot Rod Magazine a few years ago.

Mr Stanford was asked: "What would AMC iconic cars look like if the company had continued into production?". He updated the Pacer, the AMX, the Javelin, the Matador and of course... The Gremlin! (see below). Not quite an exact reproduction of his design, but I tried to integrate "molded" bumper caps to the old design. 

Needless to say, the Pacer is next on my list. I recently found a pristine Johan Promo, and the process is on. More later!

CT 

70 Gremlin concept.jpg

• 4 months later...
14 hours ago, Rocking Rodney Rat said:

Cool beans! I've never been on the Mt. Washington Auto Road. I climbed Washington several times have been on the cog railway. Looks like this would make a fast ascent! -RRR

HI!

I did it many times, both by car and motorcycle. Never tried the cog railway. On my bucket list!

CT