Model Cars Magazine Forum

On 1/8/2022 at 1:11 PM, Phildaupho said:

Great photos of GT350R prototype which is going to be auction Saturday January 15 1965 Shelby GT350R Prototype | S160 | Kissimmee 2022 (mecum.com)

Thanks Phil for the great link to all the photos! Especially useful are the interior shots. Great resource for us that can’t  afford the real one yet are able to build a scaled down version. Plus it doesn’t take up as much space 😉

Cheers Misha

• Like 1

How about a fake '65 Shelby Mustang GT-350R???? From what I read, the owner dumped some serious $$$ into this one with all nos Shelby parts... 

I think I  can gather up all the parts from my Monogram kits to build a model replica of this one...

22808_Side_Profile_Web.jpg

22808_Interior_Web.jpg

22808_Front_3-4_Web.jpg

Except for the wheels....🙄

Edited by deuces wild

On 1/26/2022 at 6:18 PM, deuces wild said:

How about a fake '65 Shelby Mustang GT-350R???? From what I read, the owner dumped some serious $$$ into this one with all nos Shelby parts... 

I think I  can gather up all the parts from my Monogram kits to build a model replica of this one...

22808_Side_Profile_Web.jpg

22808_Interior_Web.jpg

22808_Front_3-4_Web.jpg

Except for the wheels....🙄

The steering wheel isn’t stock.  The front valence is wrong.  Shelby made four 66 convertibles and later Beverly Hills Mustang that made twelve more in the 1980s with Shelbys approval.  Basically anyone can take a 65/66 convertible and add Shelby parts but if it does not have an original HIPO engine it’s just a car modified to suit the owners taste.  it would probably for for $50K at an auction if it’s well done.

Edited by vamach1
  • Like 1

Most sources say (4) '66 GT350 convertibles built, I have a book that claims (6) were built including (2) in Wimbledon White.  Not sure which is correct. 

I'll try and find the book with the reference to (6) cars being built and post it later.

Edited by afx
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, afx said:

Most sources say (4) '66 GT350 convertibles built, I have a book that claims (6) were built including (2) in Wimbledon White.  Not sure which is correct. 

I'll try and find the book with the reference to (6) cars being built and post it later.

SAAC and Shelby confirmed there were only four.  Six was the rumored number for decades until all four cars were found and verified.

506F6A87-5630-420E-89EC-3EFB40293A34.jpeg

Edited by vamach1
  • Thanks 1

The GT350R in this topic is a car I Tech Inspected a few times when it was raced in SCCA events in SoCal. Yes. I was a kid. But I worked Tech with my folks. I grew up involved with SCCA racing.  I see a few details on this car as presented, that are not correct. Like the door windows on aluminum rails. Rules then required at least one window open. Also removal of the wind wings was not allowed. But the spare tire...I never saw a GT350 raced with one. MAYBE in FIA sanctioned endurance races like Sebring. But in SCCA B/Production...Nah. In 1965, SCCA Production class rules required the stock right front seat, although the driver's seat could be replaced for driver comfort. Door interior panels were supposed to be full stock. The roll bar should have a diagonal brace and the rear braces should go to the rear fender wells. Not to the trunk.

Oh...And for a car selling for $4million dollars, they COULD have spent $30 for a fire extinguisher that's not depleted.

I see inaccuracies in the paint as well. Like the front valance stripes should end at the side of the lower radiator inlet. Not extend up the sides.

I made a living for many years building race cars and restoring old race cars. I'm retired from that. I've seen LOTS of restorations to how the current owners think it should be, not how it was done originally. And when you're dealing with a car worth from a few hundred thousand to several million bucks, I have always felt that such details matter. I could tell you about the Shelby 67 Mustang Trans Am and when the owner talked to other "Vintage Racers" who were racing later era Trans AM cars and they talked him into putting on wider wheels and tires and flaring the fenders and replacing the front a-arms with tubular arms and coilovers. I walked in the shop one morning to find a stack of tubular arms, wider wheels and tires, new fender panels with really pretty flares (not allowed in 1967 Trans Am rules) welded and bolted on. I told the owner and the other fab guy abut a 1968 Mustang with no history, but built really nicely with all of those modifications that had been lollygagging on the internet for over a year with an asking price of $30K. The owner of the '67 I was working on was looking for a sale value of around $400K as his car had history. So I told them I could do such modifications. But I wouldn't like it. I went to the office and pulled that other Mustang on the computer for them to see. They were both pretty mad at me. Correct that...REALLY MAD! But the next Monday, the flared rear fenders were cut off, the flared front fenders were piled in the corner with the tubular arms, Wilwood 6-puck brakes, fabricated spindles and coilovers. I was told to start putting the stock suspension parts back on it and when the new fenders arrived to put them on the car. No other discussion about it. But many times there's nobody around that was there when the car was originally being raced who cares about how it's "restored".

As for the wheels on that GT350 wannabe convertible, they are Cragar GT wheels. 1-piece cast aluminum, NOT cast aluminum centers welded to steel rims and then chrome plated like Cragar SS. I have an MPC 69 Coronet Super Bee with them on it. It's as I built it in '69. They may have come in that kit.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, vamach1 said:

Be interesting to see the SAAC registry and what it lists.  I have that book also in storage.

I have the '97 edition, I'll check it when I have a chance.

Shelby Cobra 427 – CSX3016 Sebring '66 - Model Cars - Model Cars Magazine  Forum

Edited by afx

6 hours ago, afx said:

I have the '97 edition, I'll check it when I have a chance.

16 hours ago, afx said:

16 hours ago, vamach1 said:

18 hours ago, deuces wild said:

16 hours ago, vamach1 said:

On 1/27/2022 at 7:28 AM, vamach1 said:

SAAC and Shelby confirmed there were only four.  Six was the rumored number for decades until all four cars were found and verified.

I just checked my 1997 registry and have attached the information on the convertible below. I was at the 1990 Palm Springs Historics at which Shelby were  the featured cars. There was a red convertible on display and they were giving out information sheets. I got one which I saved but currently cannot locate. I am pretty sure they wanted to build another series of continuation convertible. The car on display had a very simple roll bar. For years I have had a '64 1/2 convertible kit set aside with all the GT350 parts and a very nice set of GMP ten spoke wheels with Goodyear lettered tires.

Randy Leffingwell said in his book that the car Carroll drove was Candy Apple Red which would make a great looking model.

IMG_1181.JPG.6ea797353a9e382514e86b061c50507a.JPG

• Like 1