Model Cars Magazine Forum

Adjustments have been made in the wheels.  I used some Tamiya "German gray" for the tire color.  Tires are not jet black, especially the sidewalls.  The part that is in contact with the pavement is darker because it is constantly being worn away just a little but not the sidewalls.  The wheels were modified to a 6 lug design rather than the original 5 lugs that were on the Power Wagon that I originally took the wheels from.  The 5 lugs were cut off and the surface sanded smooth.  Then I traced around a hexagon pattern that is on a circle template.  A hole was drilled at each angle point and a piece of brass wire was glued in.  Then #15 fusion beads were dropped over the wire and superglued.  Then the wire was cut close to resemble the studs.  The front wheels are done.  The back ones needed to be done at the time of the photo.

1045.JPG.a22e6117e3a6da6874f152c9d6ddd4d5.JPG

Getting ready to make up the top.  The framework is done except for some cleanup of the joints.  The engine is also done.  Things are coming right along now.  The gnomes have been busy but will take a well-deserved day off for now!  That first photo is lousy, I know!  Have to brush up on holding the camera steady!

1062.JPG.5454a1382f8462e032ee41536e8394c5.JPG1065.thumb.JPG.a985b757493cb0ca7f1c8c9943b9679b.JPG1069.JPG.68d413d4b8ecfa425d09e3b2d9a7fc29.JPG

2 hours ago, hct728(Bob) said:

Hmm, you opted for the soft top version, guess this one won't be doing any brush fire duty, LOL! I assume these don't have any top fasteners, those were a neat detail on your previous build. That's a nice technique I plan to try, it looks great!

No brush unit, this.  No visible fasteners either.  A very basic build but for a specific purpose.

1 hour ago, hct728(Bob) said:

Such neat work on the grille guard and bumper, love the little loops cut into it! Nice details everywhere, sharp when made out of brass, too. Gotta ask why the separate headlight surrounds though

That's the way they were done and I did not have any to use from the kit.  The kit grill for the Gladiator is altogether different and the headlights are square.

I really love this truck. I have always wanted a 1:1 of these. Around 1996 Uncle Sam sent me to Egypt with our C141s. We were helping to train the Egyptian army load and unload the planes. They had a bunch of these trucks, but they were new. Turns out that the designs were sold to Korea and they were making them from old Jeep tools and designs, with new parts. I also had fun running around the desert outside of Cairo in a 2 1/2 ton fuel truck. Good times. 

Keep up the good work on this. I love watching you build these things as I always pick up tips and tricks to improve my builds. You help push us all to improve our skills.