Model Cars Magazine Forum

Metal Earth - Space Shuttle Launch Kit

I started this the day after Christmas and over the next ten days it took about 14 hours to finish .  I built a couple of their planes a few years ago but they were nothing like this , they only had a dozen or so parts . This kit had 80 pieces !   As stated in other threads the instructions were a challenge and shaping the curved parts takes lots of patience , but it was worth the effort and very satisfying to eventually finish the model .   I think everybody should try at least one of the Metal Earth kits , you might enjoy it !   I take lots of photos , hope you like it .

I experimented with different ways to take the photos and ended up putting the model on a raised platform in front of a blue background .

Edited by TooOld
  • Like 1

That came out very nice!  I followed your Work-in=Progress thread and enjoyed seeing it come together. The coloring that they have added to their kits really improves the overall look. The pure metal ones are nice, too - but the shuttle kit wouldn't look as good if it were all shiny metal.

Bart

6 hours ago, David G. said:

That's beautiful!

It's certainly something to be proud of.

David G.

Thanks David !

3 hours ago, bh1701 said:

That came out very nice!  I followed your Work-in=Progress thread and enjoyed seeing it come together. The coloring that they have added to their kits really improves the overall look. The pure metal ones are nice, too - but the shuttle kit wouldn't look as good if it were all shiny metal.

Bart

Thanks Bart !  The pre-colored parts are definitely an improvement , hopefully they do a bunch more .

18 hours ago, TonyK said:

You, the model, and the photos are amazing. Your skill and patience are applauded.

Thanks Tony !  Since I've got my camera figured out I'm starting to enjoy taking pictures more .

Here's a little fun with an editing program .

Edited by TooOld
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, PappyD340 said:

Super nice and that last photo is killer!!

9 hours ago, peteski said:

Great Photoshop job!  I had a hard time determining that the shuttle was a model.

Thanks Larry and Peter !  I don't have Photoshop , I used a free program called Paint.Net .  I'm sure it's no where near as good as Photoshop but with some practice you can do quite a lot with it .  Below the original photo is on the left and with my Shuttle is on the right .  Besides replacing the Shuttle I also changed the sky and widened the photo to use it as a desktop background , maybe about 30 minutes work total .

• Like 1

Thanks for showing before and after examples.  I used the word "photoshopped"  in the context of manipulating/editing a bitmap image to achieve the desired result. 

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/photoshop

Another free program that has been around for some time is Gimp. 

The added clouds look really good. One thing that looks a bit strange is the repeating pattern on the barbed wire in the lower right of the photo.  You probably cloned the same piece of the photo multiple times.  If you felt like taking the time, that should be easily fixed. 

• 2 weeks later...