Model Cars Magazine Forum

1984 Z-28

maydaymike

At long last, the replica of my dad's '84 Z-28 is complete!  I started this build in 1998, but it was put away, along with all my other modeling stuff soon after.  I recently took the hobby back up, and this is my second completed build.  The kit is the '82 Camaro from the Revell "Prestige Auto Movers" set.  It's built straight out of the box with the exception of the MPC BFGs (lots of guys hate on them, but they're really easy to letter) and wheels from an AMT '57 Corvette Gasser.

20220109_102627.jpg

20220109_102657.jpg

20220109_102725.jpg

20220109_102819.jpg

20220109_103016.jpg

115025-10592-pristine.jpg

• Like 3

Hey there Mike form another Mike.  Good job of the "replica".  I bought an '84 new myself. My wife claimed it as her  car.  I talked her into letting me sell it because I wanted a Corvette. She cried her eyes out as the new owner drove it off.....she never lets me forget it too even after all these years.

18 minutes ago, TransAmMike said:

Hey there Mike form another Mike.  Good job of the "replica".  I bought an '84 new myself. My wife claimed it as her  car.  I talked her into letting me sell it because I wanted a Corvette. She cried her eyes out as the new owner drove it off.....she never lets me forget it too even after all these years.

My dad bought this one in about 1990 from General Tire through an auction.  It was initially used by them for track testing, then later relegated to the office pool.  The holes were still visible in the floor where the rollbar had been removed.  It was unusually optioned.  Aside from the 5.0 HO package and 5 speed, AC and cruise were the only options.  Crank windows, AM/FM radio, etc.  Didn't even have the power hatch release.  It lead a hard life. After 5 years of abuse from tire testing and ferrying executives to lunch, my dad used it to pull a trailer for the family business.  It held up through well over 200k miles until it was retired due to rust and a second broken transmission.   A future project is scratchbuilding the cut down horse trailer that we hauled tire molds on.

20200522_205517.jpg

Edited by maydaymike

3 hours ago, maydaymike said:

My dad bought this one in about 1990 from General Tire through an auction.  It was initially used by them for track testing, then later relegated to the office pool.  The holes were still visible in the floor where the rollbar had been removed.  It was unusually optioned.  Aside from the 5.0 HO package and 5 speed, AC and cruise were the only options.  Crank windows, AM/FM radio, etc.  Didn't even have the power hatch release.  It lead a hard life. After 5 years of abuse from tire testing and ferrying executives to lunch, my dad used it to pull a trailer for the family business.  It held up through well over 200k miles until it was retired due to rust and a second broken transmission.   A future project is scratchbuilding the cut down horse trailer that we hauled tire molds on.

20200522_205517.jpg

Very interesting story Mike. Ours was bought new from the dealer. I specifically wanted the H.O. engine and luckily they had just what we wanted. Was black with the silver ground effects.

• Like 1

One of these years I'm going to build a model of my '84 Z-28. Mine has the H.O. engine so the dual  snorkel air cleaner is coming from the Miami Vice Daytona kit(!). The '82-'83 kit console and dash need modification to do an '84- no clock in the console on an '84 and  the dash air vents need altering( my car is a non a/c car). 

6 hours ago, ZTony8 said:

One of these years I'm going to build a model of my '84 Z-28. Mine has the H.O. engine so the dual  snorkel air cleaner is coming from the Miami Vice Daytona kit(!). The '82-'83 kit console and dash need modification to do an '84- no clock in the console on an '84 and  the dash air vents need altering( my car is a non a/c car). 

The clock was optional in '84.  Dad's had one.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/11/2022 at 7:31 PM, maydaymike said:

The clock was optional in '84.  Dad's had one.

Interesting. I've never seen an '84 with a clock on the console, only in the radio. I'll have to check my sales brochure.

Edited by ZTony8