Model Cars Magazine Forum

1970 Plymouth 'Cuda

Bronzekeg

chassis work has been started and yes this is a great kit. I misplaced a factory wheel somehow so I might go with mags from the era. has anyone else experienced problems using lacquer paints over swirls in the plastic? the firewall had swirls from the plastic injection process that show up when using lacquer but not enamel. I may have to switch colors and use an enamel.

DSC04399 (2).JPG

DSC04402 (2).JPG

DSC04403 (2).JPG

6 minutes ago, Bronzekeg said:

chassis work has been started and yes this is a great kit. I misplaced a factory wheel somehow so I might go with mags from the era. has anyone else experienced problems using lacquer paints over swirls in the plastic? the firewall had swirls from the plastic injection process that show up when using lacquer but not enamel. I may have to switch colors and use an enamel.

I have run into that swirl problem as well. It is a risk you take when skipping primer.

• Like 1

Good job on the engine and chassis so far. 

I have had plenty of this trouble with lacquer paints on plastic in the past. I have no idea why this phenomena happens, and it’s even worse with metallics. As others have said, a good primer and it’s never a problem. If I’m spraying without a primer, I always choose an acrylic or enamel. 

I was able to fit the Revellogram Goodyear Blue Streak Sportscar Special tires under my '70 'Cuda T/A project.  They appear to be about the same width as your tires.  Don't recall having to do much if anything to make them fit.

DSCN4838

Edited by afx
  • Thanks 1

thank you all for the input and ideas. I mocked up the body/ chassis so I could rework the wheel tire combos offsets. It took several hours to get the right look and feel I was looking for. I've been working on the interior also. going after a 70's feel.

DSC04414 (2).JPG

DSC04418 (2).JPG

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mopar - D said:

You are on a roll Ken with your Mopars. The Cuda is looking good so far nice Hemi and interior. I’ve got some extra stock wheels for this kit. 

thanks Dan, congrats on the brbo win! you really went the extra mile with your build and it turned out great. I've decided to go with american racing wheels and wider tires on the back of this build.