Model Cars Magazine Forum

Wanted, trans am wheel and tire.

dwc43

Not sure what kit this is. I got it as a junkyard. It's a 77 Trans Am, its curb side, it has strange grills under the bumper cover, has a V shaped cowl hood, stock rear trunk lid spoiler with sideboards that connect it to the qtr panels and it has rear louvers and side pipes. Not sure what you call this wheel, but it reminds me of an Oz Racing wheel.  I think it was pretty rare or unpopular on the Trans Ams. Hope someone can help with a wheel and tire from this kit. I'd like to rebuild it, keep these wheels and give it a race car look to it. Thanks.

Open photo

6 minutes ago, Casey said:

Like so?:

1980_pontiac_firebird_transam_turbo_pace

This is 24 or 25, not sure which. The wheel is right, but the car is wrong.  Even though the kit wheels look deeper to me. I wish I knew what kit it was. I'm going to try and find it on the net. I might get lucky. 

I went through 6 pages of Trans Ams and Firebirds on e bay and Google was no help either. I'll try and take it apart tomorrow night and see if there is a makers name on the inside of the chassis or cockpit. I might get lucky that way. I'll see if I can get some pics too. Can't do it tonight, Ga. Ala. game tonight. 

The car is black plastic. And now that you mentioned it, the wheels may not be from this kit. They look like they were chrome, at least on the outer edges. The cone of the wheel has turned red. It is curbside. The suspension is glued on. The rear axle, stock exhaust from the cat back is molded to the axle. The engine and trans front pipes and cat is part of the floor pan and framework. If it was not for the race car parts added to the factory rear spoiler, the V shaped cowl hood that starts right where the hood and bumper cover meet, and the louvers, I'd swear it was a 77 T/A.

7 minutes ago, dwc43 said:

The car is black plastic. And now that you mentioned it, the wheels may not be from this kit. They look like they were chrome, at least on the outer edges. The cone of the wheel has turned red. It is curbside. The suspension is glued on. The rear axle, stock exhaust from the cat back is molded to the axle. The engine and trans front pipes and cat is part of the floor pan and framework. If it was not for the race car parts added to the factory rear spoiler, the V shaped cowl hood that starts right where the hood and bumper cover meet, and the louvers, I'd swear it was a 77 T/A.

If you can get some pics up I think I could tell you what it is. I do know those Turbo wheels didn't come out until '80 and if they're molded in red and the car itself is molded in black then they didn't come with that car.

Everyone and their dog was pumping out Trans Ams and Firebirds in the late '70s and early '80s so without pics, we can only guess.

13 minutes ago, Can-Con said:

If you can get some pics up I think I could tell you what it is. I do know those Turbo wheels didn't come out until '80 and if they're molded in red and the car itself is molded in black then they didn't come with that car.

Everyone and their dog was pumping out Trans Ams and Firebirds in the late '70s and early '80s so without pics, we can only guess.

I'll get some pics, but it will be Probably Wed. before I can post them up. Ga. Ala. game tonight. I'll be worn out at work the next day for staying up so late tonight. 

You are right on those kits, I looked through 6 pages on e bay of nothing but T/A kits. Could not find it on Google either.

Oh, if it helps any, the wheels have a post on the back that pushes through a hole that has three slots around it on the back side of the tire.

51 minutes ago, dwc43 said:

I'll get some pics, but it will be Probably Wed. before I can post them up. Ga. Ala. game tonight. I'll be worn out at work the next day for staying up so late tonight. 

You are right on those kits, I looked through 6 pages on e bay of nothing but T/A kits. Could not find it on Google either.

Oh, if it helps any, the wheels have a post on the back that pushes through a hole that has three slots around it on the back side of the tire.

That sounds like how MPC did their tires for snap kits.  ,, but ,, is this your car?

Boxart Turbo Firebird PK 2305 AMT/ERTL

12 minutes ago, Can-Con said:

That sounds like how MPC did their tires for snap kits.  ,, but ,, is this your car?

Boxart Turbo Firebird PK 2305 AMT/ERTL

That's it. That's the kit. I knew someone would figure that out. Pic says it has 20 pieces. That sounds about right. lol