Model Cars Magazine Forum

Fujimi EK9 Civic Type R Hatchback

lghtngyello03

I’m very happy to call this build complete!  It took a little longer to complete since starting back to work and having other things to do as well. This was built using the 1/24 Fujimi Civic Type-R kit. 

The paint is a custom mix of OEM Lexus Desert Sage Metallic from Splash Paints topped with Splash Paints 2k Clear to give it that great shine.  I couldn’t be any happier with how this color turned out, Splash is on top of their Custom mixes! 

The body is pretty much out of the box stock except for the front bumper holes were filled in,I opened up the grille and used some mesh,  and I added some LED lighting, thanks to the help of Aerev, on Instagram. The body needed some carbon fiber, so I used Scale Motorsports carbon decals to make the hood and rear spoiler look much better. 

I also scratch built a full cage inside (painted using Splash Paints Pure White,) used ZoomOn racing seats (painted in Splash Paints Red Interior color,) installed Eduard 4 point harnesses, and used some Hobby Design "Bride" Decals to get a much better looking interior. The carpet was also done using red embossing powder, and the rear package shelf was done using a silver embossing powder.  The exhaust that came in the kit was used, but the tip itself looked way too tiny, and not appropriate for the build, so I made an exhaust tip out of some styrene tubing, and lowered the muffler section down to clear the rear bumper.

The car did not sit low enough for the look I was shooting for either, so it had to be lowered to fit the part.  The wheels are Volk CE28 from AvenWorks  They are finished in Dupli-Color Bronze wheel paint. I also added some RB Motion valve stems. 

I am very pleased to add this one to the build collection and would love to build another one day. Thanks for checking it out, and on to the next build which will reveal a new paint line and color for Splash Paints!

72221398_Civic4.jpg.04cbd8fcf13ce42c68da845f2787dc7d.jpg

1690454225_Civic2.jpg.b32b4431f4917db09a0c46d19c21510e.jpg

509144615_Civic3.jpg.4c25128c863ec324200f389900ffc091.jpg

1176679707_Civic8.jpg.a2a004c4b3ac5a0df56fa6def523f900.jpg

694528131_Civic5.jpg.aa11654a62c7aa4f64cf749d3971b5f3.jpg

653305067_Civic6.jpg.b51e3447777d05334c2f889e3663912d.jpg

1014742680_Civic7.jpg.5e5343f3451d86cad15cb8936c89b1fa.jpg

1710359126_Civic9.jpg.19c630817356103af167c6ab6df4112b.jpg

1919468396_Civic10.jpg.8de1535405b37b77cdc5a41a2dd0bde7.jpg

1619531563_Civic11.jpg.fa2af0c2ad1165f6a9a7940a70b16fc1.jpg531976405_Civic12.jpg.681548ba53d14c9695378788e9391caa.jpg

363970611_Civic13.jpg.065d600fab090736db5a110bc2c9978b.jpg

Edited by lghtngyello03
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, cobraman said:

Very nice model, great finish.

Thank you sir!

2 hours ago, stitchdup said:

Very cool, the stance really makes for a tough look on it. Nice details in the interior too

Thank you! Yes the stance out of the box was horrible.  It definitely needed some help, lol. 

2 hours ago, Rbray47 said:

Great build! I like those Fujimi kits. They're fun to build and go together really well. 

This was my first Fujimi kit.  I have built so many Tamiya kits, I guess I am spoiled. The Fujimi is very basic, and lacks a lot of detail and the molded in headlights on the body is kind of a bummer as well.  I would build another, but I doubt it would be as detailed as this build. 

1 hour ago, Venom said:

Very nice, looks super👌

Thank you!

33 minutes ago, espo said:

I like the clean style and the paint finish. The scaffolding in the back look like a track-day car. 

Thanks man!  I wanted it to be something that looked the part for an auto cross car or maybe a nice twisty track day car.

Edited by lghtngyello03

4 minutes ago, happy grumpy said:

Excellent take on this Civic. Those who snob curbside kits, here's what you're missing. Even though simple, this kit builds up into a very nice replica. I have 3 of those kits and had a 96 civic 1;1 in the early 2000's . I like everything about it.

Thanks man!! I always wonder why people bash on curbside stuff.  I love building a detailed engine bay, but when I want a quick build, a curbside does it every time.  You can still be just as detailed as you would be under the hood, just in other areas.

Very nice build!   I've used Splash paints, but I have a tendency to melt, do you make many quick mist coats?  You do more than one color coat?  The LED lights add to the simple build.  I've gone to extreme effort to add engines to curbside kits, and doomed not finishing them.  What do you use for the red on taillights?

BTW: I'm on my third real Civic, so of course I'm a fan. 😁

Edited by 89AKurt
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, grodudulle77 said:

Very clean work !! I really like the look !! 👍😀

Thank you Philippe!

16 hours ago, Mattilacken said:

Beautiful build! Nice touch with the working lights and they seems to be done just right so it looks like a 1:1! Great job there!

Thanks Anton!

15 hours ago, Spottedlaurel said:

Very nice, the wheels look perfect for it and I really like the subtle colour choice.

Thanks Nigel!  I wanted something different, and Midori Green was way overdone.  I saw this color on a 1:1 online and had to find out what it was to do it myself.

13 hours ago, Dragonhawk1066 said:

Well done!

Thanks Craig!

11 hours ago, bisc63 said:

Very clean and realistic build - just what a model should be!

Thanks Rusty!  Glad to see this little import getting some love!

7 hours ago, 89AKurt said:

Very nice build!   I've used Splash paints, but I have a tendency to melt, do you make many quick mist coats?  You do more than one color coat?  The LED lights add to the simple build.  I've gone to extreme effort to add engines to curbside kits, and doomed not finishing them.  What do you use for the red on taillights?

BTW: I'm on my third real Civic, so of course I'm a fan. 😁

Thanks Kurt! I've been using Splash Paints for at least 3-4 years now.  I have never managed to have any melt or craze anything on me.  I do multiple mist coats to build a good foundation for a wet color coat.  The LED addition was definitely a good bit of work, but was really worth it for the end result.  The red on the tail lights believe it or not, is red Sharpie.  

I'll include my method that I use to shoot Splash color and 2k clear that I posted on my NSX build page. Hope it can help you.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, ATHU said:

Smooth paint job and excellent attention to detail. Great work!!

Thank you very much!!! 

7 hours ago, galaxyg said:

Well that is just fantastic, both the ideas for modifying the original kit and the execution of them. I love the colour.

Thank you very much!  Yes the color is definitely a favorite on any build I’ve done lately