Model Cars Magazine Forum

BRBO Steveracer's Autocar Dump Build

Here  is my entry.  Going to build it from the box and may add details.  Still to be determined.  Joining this fun because I need the pressure to get this done in a year - LOL.  Going to weather it, see how realistic I can make it look from the curb or construction site....

Box art.jpg

IMG_4568.JPG

• Like 1

OK, so I got a bit of a start with this kit this week.  I am in the midst of like 5 other projects, so this may take some time.  First thing I did was find some good reference that I would like to model after.  If it is ok to post these photos here, this is my inspiration.

Somewhere between these dirty and workhorses and cleaned up workhorses....

IMG_5158.JPG

IMG_5163.JPG

IMG_5160.JPG

IMG_5165.JPG

Also, a bit of progress....had to tape the chassis down during gluing to ensure it was as straight as possible.  All parts de burred and cleaned up as reasonable as possible.

IMG_4852.JPG

IMG_4891.JPG

Edited by steveracer
Get the order straight
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, Oldmopars said:

I love this idea. If you need another dirty dump Autocar for inspiration, I did this one during the first part of covid.

Scott, will you quit posting photos of trucks that you see out there in the real world.  Sometimes it confuses me and think they are models....

5 days?  Really?  I can't even make up my mind in 5 days.

• Like 1

Been a while as I was finishing my Beetle.  Here is an update.  I have decided to paint these two colors, plus the black for chassis.

IMG_4855.thumb.JPG.14273c2dbd4fda6fc909a963791ffc60.JPG

That is an old dark metallic green for the cab and hood, gold for the fenders.

Here is my favorite matte or semi gloss black paint.  It was $1.99 from Lowes last year, and I have been through the first can which was a fantastic matte black.  I bought two more, and they are both semi gloss but still look and spray great.  By the way, the first can sprayed ALL THE WAY down to the end of the can.  None of the 2X stuff going on.... The other paints I got from Maynards for less than $2 each.  

IMG_4868.thumb.JPG.1af431690b951b63e75b52f443e575de.JPG

A little more chassis work and priming the body parts after some clean up.  The upper windshield molding, on the passenger side is a bit wacked, so I had to sand and fiddle it a bit, otherwise the body is great right out of the box.  

IMG_4902.JPG.a2d3e4f8fddc1ad00d2c990ed1d6520e.JPGIMG_4875.thumb.JPG.b77e3ba4aaa5646402192c8b0d24205d.JPG

The air horns were just flat front pieces.  I realize they could be positive ball shaped as a cover, or opened up negative.  I chose negative, they will be black inside later....IMG_4889.thumb.JPG.4a94810a608bb49dd46d017d81c07f3c.JPGIMG_4892.JPG.d54368313a52e9abdcc8387dca4c4402.JPG

And finally, I messed around with the skid plate, this truck has seen a bit of heavy duty use, so had to scrape it up....not fully satisfied with this, I think it needs some more help later....

IMG_4923.thumb.JPG.e6010fc81a238a38c6d5b92384b8432d.JPG

That is all for now.  I somehow got invested in a few other kits as a diversion, that I wanted to build.  Doing the body work and paint first so that I can let them harden for a month or two on those models that get "fancy" paint jobs.  My next step is to paint the cab and hood so that can sit for a bit.  In the meantime I will be on the road, hopefully for a week and a few days. 

A little bit of progress.  Got some paint on the cab.  This old bottle of Testors was airbrushed on (really don't think I ever airbrushed a body before - always use rattle cans). 

IMG_4967.thumb.JPG.47b9a91ff686f138cdb1f0b532e03169.JPGIMG_4965.thumb.JPG.9d5f08ca7c192a92147edb94f035b998.JPGIMG_4966.thumb.JPG.1b27351eb8f828bb8dc0209dc0d4a387.JPG

Got some primer on misc parts including the chassis.  Kit has the usual amount of seams and flash, which I remove as much as possible.

I know a lot of you guys assemble the whole chassis then paint as one, but my concern is getting dirt and mud and grease everywhere in there, so I am doing some parts separately I guess.  

IMG_4929.thumb.JPG.fa03e8160fa387c40fb1a3c5e63f43b9.JPGIMG_4922.thumb.JPG.7aad586cf93a2eafe1cbcac197bca5df.JPG

I will provide a mockup of the parts in my next installment.  It is a cold cold day here, and the Daytona 24 is gonna be on the tube all day so I expect some decent progress of this kit, plus my many other projects going on this weekend!!!  :)

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Mopar - D said:

Nice progress Steve. Did you have to thin your Testors paint before air brushing with it? I’m going to guess that you are going to weather the rest of the truck with seeing what your interior is. Looking forward to seeing your next progress updates. 

MoparD, yes I thinned it with Lacquer thinner from Lowes.  Maybe 40% paint, 60% LT, but it depends on the consistency of what is in the bottle.  And if you use Lacquer thinner, do NOT put it back in the jar unless you plan to use it in the next week or two, it will gel up and be unusable.  Yes, I am going to weather it, I got a plan but like many plans guys make, it will be improv night here at the bench!

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 8/23/2022 at 6:47 PM, wayne00 said:

Can we get an up-date on your project?

Thanks

Rog😁

Roger, time for an update! :)  

I have taken a hiatus from building every summer so that I can enjoy the time outdoors.  It now has gotten colder, and I broke my foot last week, so what best to spend the time with?  Modeling of course!

Here are a few updates to the Autocar truck.  I painted the chassis semi gloss, as it will be dusted with dirt washes.  Added some decals and cleared with a semi gloss clear to protect them.  Used scotch pad on the tires for a little realism.  Did a little mock up work....

IMG_4975.JPG

IMG_4974.JPG

IMG_5014.JPG

IMG_9787.JPG

IMG_5144.JPG

IMG_4976.JPG

Edited by steveracer
  • Like 2