Model Cars Magazine Forum

ALSO Coming - 1965 Dodge Hemi Sedan

Dave Metzner

Also under development at Moebius Models is a 1965 Dodge Hemi Sedan. This will be similar to our 65 Plymouth Super Stock Sedan and will share mechanicals with that kit.

Please note that the chassis seen here is not exactly as will be seen in the final kit. The final kit will have S/S Hemi underpinnings..

Here are some 3D images of the Dodge.. s with the forthcoming AWB car this only exists in 3Ds at this tiem. I anticipate mockups after Chinese New Year ends (Feb11)

Kits on shelves later this year..Maybe sometim this summer?? No promises at this date

Thanks,

Dave

2.jpg.3d13d01fda383306a39db60b527c592d.jpg1.jpg.a598cb744159840e29cb8db9640df386.jpg6.jpg.eef512d71a0134f8ce12569e0d221bee.jpg5.jpg.45bef8d0022fceb7522aba0a91092d9b.jpg4.jpg.259f93b162e57843b4bdb76bc638844c.jpg3.jpg.32734664f6a75f943079c107268fc838.jpg too early to set that date!

Edited by Dave Metzner
  • Like 5

This will esentially be an S/S Hemi sedan with S/S exhaust - S/S hood etc. All details of final content of kit box are not set in stone at this date.

Thought is basically to do an A-990 car.. but to include stock wheels and poverty hubcaps, maybe some streeet tires... Let the builder do a street version or a race car? We're still working out a few details on that..

Dave

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Dave Metzner said:

Thought is basically to do an A-990 car.. but to include stock wheels and poverty hubcaps, maybe some streeet tires... Let the builder do a street version or a race car? We're still working out a few details on that..

Definitely like the steel wheels and poverty caps!  Looks like a winner.

Personally I'd prefer the wedge engine like the '65 Belvedere, but I understand doing the hemi for the A990 connection.

If I may present a couple of proposals for the long-awaited kit :

1.) The Dana 60 --while a common upgrade-- wasn't available until the 1966 model year. The only axle for 1965 -regardless of transmission- was the 8.75" . For a correct / stock / A-990, it's the only correct axle housing.

2.) Back-Up lamps were optional until 01/01/1965 (though they were standard on higher trim level models such as the 500) . Include both tail lamp bezels for a correct two door sedan trim level.

Thanks much for the preview , @Dave Metzner!

2 hours ago, Dave Metzner said:

This will esentially be an S/S Hemi sedan with S/S exhaust - S/S hood etc. All details of final content of kit box are not set in stone at this date.

Dave

Would be nice to see a big block and correct bench seats..

Just found photos of Tailights without backup lights. The way taillights will be done in this kit - like Plymouths  chromed part with red to be painted clear red - this may mean that there is not enough difference between taillight with backups and taillight without to make two different sets of parts simple difference would involve painting backup lenses white or not... I need to study this a bit. 

as for the Chrysler 8 3/4 rear end, I'll see if I can find good references this is  not any guarantee that I can add it to the new kit but I'll try to get that done.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Dave Metzner said:

Just found photos of Tailights without backup lights. The way taillights will be done in this kit - like Plymouths  chromed part with red to be painted clear red - this may mean that there is not enough difference between taillight with backups and taillight without to make two different sets of parts simple difference would involve painting backup lenses white or not... I need to study this a bit. 

as for the Chrysler 8 3/4 rear end, I'll see if I can find good references this is  not any guarantee that I can add it to the new kit but I'll try to get that done.

Dave will these be the tail lights ?

1965-dodge-coronet.jpg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Dave Metzner said:

Thank you for considering my proposals , and for publicly responding. 

Landy's 1965 Coronet 'WO51' has one each of the tail lamp bezels -- one with back-up lamp , one without. The story goes that one of the tail lamps and its bezel was damaged , and Landy could only find the bezel  sans back-up lamp provision at the local dealership (otherwise, he couldn't run the car at the next event) .

Reference photos exhibiting both tail lamp bezels (and, yes, I realise that this detail is like picking fly poop out of pepper) BangShift.com Money No Object: The 1965 Dick Landy Dodge A/FX Coronet - BangShift.com

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, 1972coronet said:

If I may present a couple of proposals for the long-awaited kit :

1.) The Dana 60 --while a common upgrade-- wasn't available until the 1966 model year. The only axle for 1965 -regardless of transmission- was the 8.75" . For a correct / stock / A-990, it's the only correct axle.

Thanks much for the preview , @Dave Metzner!

Moebius' Plymouth kits have the 8-3/4" axle.  You might be thinking of the Lindberg '64 Mopars, those have the Dana 60 axle as the 1:1 car used in development of their Dodge kit had one (as well as widened rear wheel tubs).

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Dave Metzner said:

Dave

First let me thank you for considering this model and I think it will be financial success for Moebius. Since you are going to include some of the street parts as well would that also provide a standard bench seat? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mark said:

Moebius' Plymouth kits have the 8-3/4" axle.  You might be thinking of the Lindberg '64 Mopars, those have the Dana 60 axle as the 1:1 car used in development of their Dodge kit had one (as well as widened rear wheel tubs).

In one of the computer 'blueprints' , a Dana 60 is present. The images provided here exhibit the 8 3/4 diff. 

Like I'd mentioned, the Dana 60 was a common upgrade (and the Ford 9" as well) to the earlier B-bodies once it was released for the 1966 model year. Funny that NASCAR-campaigned cars still used the 8 3/4 in spite of the higher speed, higher RPM's and demands. Must be solely because of the easy swapping of the drop-out third member vs. the heavier and less serviceable Dana 60.