Model Cars Magazine Forum

AHM was primarily a HO railroad manufacturer between the 1960s-1980s. They were pretty well known, and did locomotives, rolling stock, buildings and vehicles among other things. I've never heard of a AHM 1/25 scale vehicle, though.

Edited by SSNJim
  • Like 1

Yah, rebox of a Revell kit. I have a glue bomb of that around here somewhere. 

AHM was primarily into model railroad but in the '60s they also imported/distributed the very cool little 1/87 ROCO tanks and armor. I had dozens of them! I also have a 1:1 scale model of a Walther P.38 with AHM on the box. I think they also had some model airplanes, such as some early 1/72 Fujimis--I think I have so-labeled F4U-4 and -5 Corsairs. 

18 minutes ago, Mark said:

I had a Miss Deal Studebaker kit in AHM packaging.  I remember when those AHM kits first appeared in the early Seventies, the retail prices were higher than AMT, MPC, or Revell.  

Unless you caught a WOOLCO AHM FALL SALE!!!! These kits were 99 cents then. 

On 1/15/2022 at 9:26 AM, SSNJim said:

AHM was primarily a HO railroad manufacturer between the 1960s-1980s. They were pretty well known, and did locomotives, rolling stock, buildings and vehicles among other things. I've never heard of a AHM 1/25 scale vehicle, though.

They also sold N scale model RR items (like locos, cars and even structure kits).  Those were all just reboxed items made by other companies.

http://www.davidksmith.com/birth-of-n/ahm.htm

They did do other scales besides HO, but HO was their core business. An early name of the company was "H.O. Train Company", and AHM didn't start in N scale until 1968, many years after the start of the company. They did end up with a pretty broad product range.

3 hours ago, SSNJim said:

They did do other scales besides HO, but HO was their core business. An early name of the company was "H.O. Train Company", and AHM didn't start in N scale until 1968, many years after the start of the company. They did end up with a pretty broad product range.

That's correct.  Quoting the website I liked to in my last post:

Associated Hobby Manufacturers got its start in Philadelphia in the 1940s by Bernard Paul, who, legend has it, sold balsa wood model airplanes in the back of his mother's candy shop. After establishing his model railroad business in the 1950s, one of Paul's first moves was to take on the Hobby Industry of America which, intent on putting importers like AHM and Polk's of New York out of business, passed a ruling that trade show exhibitors had to pay $300 for each brand they showed. Since Paul imported 40-50 brands, it made for an untenable situation, so he had everything repackaged for his "H.O. Train Company" brand. (Polk's pulled the same stunt using their "Aristo-Craft" brand.)

On 1/15/2022 at 7:38 AM, Snake45 said:

Yah, rebox of a Revell kit. I have a glue bomb of that around here somewhere. 

AHM was primarily into model railroad but in the '60s they also imported/distributed the very cool little 1/87 ROCO tanks and armor. I had dozens of them! I also have a 1:1 scale model of a Walther P.38 with AHM on the box. I think they also had some model airplanes, such as some early 1/72 Fujimis--I think I have so-labeled F4U-4 and -5 Corsairs. 

Those Roco Minitanks were very cool! There was an unbelievable variety of equipment!