Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 70' Firebird Trans-Am

skymnky721

So its 8 degrees here today,,{how nice} and its perfect model building weather. Completed is the Revell 70' Trans am.  One of my fav GM body styles.  When I lived in Ann Arbor  Mi in the late 70's,,a girl I dated had her father who owned  a T/A  like this one,, she used to take us out in it,,she let me drive it a few times,,what an awsome car!  So heres my recent version.  Kit was tough to build on a few things,,had to make clearance for chassis to fit up under body,,but I always assemble all body fronts,,valences   ect  1st,,then paint as one assembled unit,,so maybe that contributed to the fit issue.   Sprayed can hardware store  blue,,hand painted everything else.   And some basic wiring,,pretty simple  but looks cool on the shelf!  Cheers!

009.JPG

012.JPG

008.JPG

010.JPG

014.JPG

019.JPG

021.JPG

024.JPG

1 hour ago, skymnky721 said:

So its 8 degrees here today,,{how nice} and its perfect model building weather. Completed is the Revell 70' Trans am.  One of my fav GM body styles.  When I lived in Ann Arbor  Mi in the late 70's,,a girl I dated had her father who owned  a T/A  like this one,, she used to take us out in it,,she let me drive it a few times,,what an awsome car!  So heres my recent version.  Kit was tough to build on a few things,,had to make clearance for chassis to fit up under body,,but I always assemble all body fronts,,valences   ect  1st,,then paint as one assembled unit,,so maybe that contributed to the fit issue.   Sprayed can hardware store  blue,,hand painted everything else.   And some basic wiring,,pretty simple  but looks cool on the shelf!  Cheers!

009.JPG

012.JPG

008.JPG

010.JPG

014.JPG

019.JPG

021.JPG

024.JPG

Really good 👍 Like the idea of a blue with the blue stripe as an option instead of white with the blue stripe. Clean. When I get around to mine, I hope my wheels turn out good like yours. Thinking that getting the black deep down between the spokes is going to be tough.

6 hours ago, rrb124@sbcglobal.net said:

Really good 👍 Like the idea of a blue with the blue stripe as an option instead of white with the blue stripe. Clean. When I get around to mine, I hope my wheels turn out good like yours. Thinking that getting the black deep down between the spokes is going to be tough.

Thanks rrb,,yea I moked up the white stripe  and then the blue,,and the blue just seem to blend better to the blue backdrop.  The wheels can be done pretty easy,,just  get a bottle of Flat Black,,about 1/4 full,,and just add thinner w/a eye dropper,,few drops at a time.  Then use that mix  to get a drop on the end of the small brush,,and just  "drop" it in to area where the lug nuts are,,and the thin paint will do the rest,,itll just fill the area by itself.  A magnifier wouldnt hurt either,,lol  at least I use one from time to time for rim work. Thanks for lookin! 

13 hours ago, bisc63 said:

That shade of blue actually looks pretty nice on that body. Good looking, clean build overall, bit I gotta ask: where are your headlights?!

Thanks Bisco,,lol yea theres a story  behind those headlamps. The kit came w/  a  1 pc  grill/headlamp/turn signal  all molded as 1 pc,,when I moked up the pc after painting the body,,  and was getting ready to do front grill ect paint detail,,the front end grill pc wouldnt fit  uniformly in there 3 specific holes,,grill,, headlamp,,turn signal,  so I dremmel cut them into there own seperate pcs,,the grill pc's went in fine,,but the turn signals+ headlamps didnt,,no matter how I placed them in there spots..there  were  gaps around both of them,,so I just used  "flat lens"  style headlamp fronts from  the spare parts bx ,,there round ,,flat and layed   over  the headlight opening from the inside alot  better than the kit headlamps.  The turn signals are same deal.  Hope that clears it up,,Cheers!

Edited by skymnky721
typo