Model Cars Magazine Forum

1961 Thunderbird AMT Styleine custom nose

W Humble

I'm back begging parts again!  Trying to finish an original AMT Thunderbird kit from '61, and sixty years ago I traded off the Styleine custom front treatment, or 'nose', though I utilized the rear in lieu of back bumper.  Now it seems like the ideal way to top off the front treatment -- with some mods to make it less obvious -- so I can complete this build.  Have some good really old stuff to trade, if needed, lots of wheelcovers, bumpers, etc.  Ask!  Thanks to all the friends out there who have helped me previously!!

Tom, I think I have a very small pic of the kit -- somewhere!  The nose I need extends from the hood scoop down into a snout a lot like some of the '70s Gran Prix, etc.  I'm using some of the custom front pan, plus Lucas P-100 type headlights from a R-R vintage kit (glue bombs of yore) for sort of a 'Gaylord' or Exner effect.  Plus a V-12 Diesel boat engine scratched from two Ford big-blocks -- love those V-12s & V-16 for power!  Hope to post it this year.  Thx!! Wick

Nice pic of Lauren Bacall Bogart!!

9 hours ago, W Humble said:

Tom, I think I have a very small pic of the kit -- somewhere!  The nose I need extends from the hood scoop down into a snout a lot like some of the '70s Gran Prix, etc.  I'm using some of the custom front pan, plus Lucas P-100 type headlights from a R-R vintage kit (glue bombs of yore) for sort of a 'Gaylord' or Exner effect.  Plus a V-12 Diesel boat engine scratched from two Ford big-blocks -- love those V-12s & V-16 for power!  Hope to post it this year.  Thx!! Wick

Nice pic of Lauren Bacall Bogart!!

Not sure I have one like you are describing but I'll dig around. I'm in the process of packing for a big move so it may be packed away.

BTW- you're one of the few who know who my avatar is of. (Lauren Bacall Bogart) We named our daughter Lauren (32 years ago) after her.

Later-

There was a Styline '61 Thunderbird hardtop kit, in the large flat box ala the Ranchero and Galaxie Club Victoria hardtop kits.  There was a "regular" 3 in 1 '61 convertible, but not a "regular" (non-Styline) hardtop as I recall.  '61 convertible kit had an engine and separate hood, hardtop did not.

5 hours ago, Can-Con said:

'61 thunderbird styleline instructions. The parts were a bit different each year between '61 and '63.

Thunderbird Styline Kit AMT 9

Thunderbird Styline Kit AMT 10

Can-Con, thanks for the pics.

Wick, I'm sure that I don't have the parts that are shown in the "Major restyling" pics. I will, however, keep looking and post what I do find.

Later-

3 minutes ago, Mark said:

And, for anyone who cares...if you stumble into a bunch of these parts, most of them are actually a decent fit on the newer tool '62 convertible kit.

I was kinda wondering about that.

I know the front bumper and hoods don't fit between the new and original but the back bumper from the new kit actually fits the old ones as well, if not better than their original parts.

Aha time:  forgive a fading memory-bank -- but after reading all the above, I have a feeling that it was from a FALCON kit?!  Still, that might work -- otherwise I do have a lonely Pontiac GP bumper, about early '70s?  No kit, just bumper!  Thx again!

7 hours ago, W Humble said:

Aha time:  forgive a fading memory-bank -- but after reading all the above, I have a feeling that it was from a FALCON kit?!  Still, that might work -- otherwise I do have a lonely Pontiac GP bumper, about early '70s?  No kit, just bumper!  Thx again!

Could the be from the 62 original Kit?