Model Cars Magazine Forum

SMP/Missing Link 1911 Chevrolet

Eric Macleod

I present my rendition of Missing Link's resin reissue of the SMP 1911 Chevrolet, my first completion in over two years.  While it is correct to have no top and no windshield for these cars, personally I think a car looks sort of ugly without them. I had a very hard time cleaning up the flash on the kit provided wheels,  and ultimately decided to replace them with a wheel tire combination from the AMT 1923 Ford Coupe kit....and destroyed one of those too. There is no engine supplied in this model.  I considered scratch building an engine for this kit, I really wanted a model that was done. Warts and all, here it is. I think it looks decent along side another crude model, the Tonka 1913 Ford Model T Touring. 20220116_230910.thumb.jpg.990489369f6d51fd27fc2bbeb311f2ba.jpg20220116_230926.thumb.jpg.11642d5860aced881b0e3075ecda51cc.jpg20220116_231220.thumb.jpg.b7ce34a840f8c6fa18e1765268dfc8b0.jpg

• Like 2

12 hours ago, RSchnell said:

Nice build of an unusual subject! Refreshing to see some brass era stuff posted. What kit is the Model T Coupelet in the background? 

Good eye. The Coupelet is an Aardvark/Model Martin transkit. It included the body, interior. Top, hood, radiator, fenders and litte doo-dads like top irons and door handles. Andy Martin is a contributor here and could address the question in more detail.

In the case of my build, I used the '25 Ford Model T Runabout for the chassis, running gear and wheels. I had Chrometech plate the small parts brass but they seem to have disappeared so I am not sure who I would use now. Hope that helps a little.

14 hours ago, Eric Macleod said:

Good eye. The Coupelet is an Aardvark/Model Martin transkit. It included the body, interior. Top, hood, radiator, fenders and litte doo-dads like top irons and door handles. Andy Martin is a contributor here and could address the question in more detail.

In the case of my build, I used the '25 Ford Model T Runabout for the chassis, running gear and wheels. I had Chrometech plate the small parts brass but they seem to have disappeared so I am not sure who I would use now. Hope that helps a little.

Thanks for the info! I've used Tamiya clear yellow over Bare metal foil and Floquil Silver to simulate brass and actually doesn't look too bad. Used that method on a couple of the ICM Model T kits.

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/14/2022 at 7:15 AM, Chromecop said:

Thanks for the pics of your very nice build! They'll be helpful to me when I start restoring my old , incomplete SMP 1911 Chevy

I would suggest getting ahold of an AMT 23-25 Model T kit.  There are lots of parts in those kits that can help complete this one. I'll look forward to seeing yours.