Model Cars Magazine Forum

1973 Phantom GTO Judge

DoctorLarry

This one has been floating around in my mind since I saw a rendering of it a number of years ago. One of my 73 resin bodies with the GTO nose and modified Buick GSX spoiler, resin Lemans interior, scratch built sport steering wheel, engine from a Firebird kit, Fireball resin Holley carb, 68 Cutlass chassis and resin large Honeycomb wheels. A modern take on a "could have been". Carousel Red/Saddle tan combo. Bucket seats, console, dash and tub my own resins. Sport wheel a cut down and modified NASCAR T Bird wheel. Fun so far. I did deviate on the rear spoiler. The Judge wing did not look right. Too big.

73 judge interior.jpg

73 judge pieces.jpg

73 Judge concept.jpg

ventura judge concept.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DoctorLarry said:

I found that one in a magazine, I think from an east Coast model show (NNA?). I can't remember but it is a clean model build.

It's one of Sean Svendsen's models. He has done box art builds for Moebius, Model king, etc as well as the decal design for some of the Model King reissues.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Slow progress. Shortened the chassis and added some filler pieces. Also worked on the floor pans and rear wheel wheels. I ordered some plus size honeycomb wheels which are pretty cool. Beautiful resin castings. I'm not always a fan of the big wheel look but they do fill the fenderwells nicely. Interior is pretty much done. I added seat belts and flocked the floor. Made the sport steering wheel from scratch. Still needs a shifter. I put the core support and radiator in and am finishing the A/C system. Next I need to paint the body and figure out the windows.

GTO project 1.jpg

GTO project 2.jpg

GTO project 3.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Getting closer. Did some detail painting with Molotow and got the wheel/tire/stance situation settled a bit.  I decided to go with painted bumpers on a suggestion from Rusty, one of our members.  I tried thinning Molotow with alcohol and spraying it but it just came out silver. Then I sprayed full strength and it looked like it should but then when I cleared it it turned silver again so I gave up. I still need to finish the interior, add a windshield, paint under the hood and touch up the chassis. Here it is next to my other Collonade Grand Am project.

twin collonades 2.jpg

twin collonades 1.jpg

twin collonades 3.jpg

• Like 1