Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/24 Revell '79 ('81?) Chevrolet Camaro Z/28

Casey

That doesn't look like the Monogram glue kit.  I know the stock wheels were changed at some point, but don't recall that style being in that kit.  The wheel openings look funky too, as if this body could be shared between this and a Firebird kit...

But the snapper hasn't got T-top inserts, and those side pipes are molded as part of the chassis, to hide where the body snaps in place.

I'm wondering if this one isn't an ex-Airfix kit.  Those kits use the same body for both Camaro and Firebird versions, with the body being more correct for the latter.  If anyone has to bother with those, the one to have from that bunch would be the Type K Sportwagon.

39 minutes ago, Mark said:

That doesn't look like the Monogram glue kit.  I know the stock wheels were changed at some point, but don't recall that style being in that kit.  The wheel openings look funky too, as if this body could be shared between this and a Firebird kit...

Interesting...never noticed that before, but after comparing side profile photos of the 2nd gen Camaro and Firebird, I see the fender arch shapes are different---rounded on the Firebird and more oval on the Camaro.  Always assumed they were the same...but now I can't un-see it..

Not only are the wheel openings different on the second-gen cars, so is the profile of the outer body panels.  The fenders and quarter panels are different of course, but so are the outer door skins.  A Bird door will bolt onto a Camaro and vice versa, but there will be a mismatch between the panels.  The creases on the Camaro doors are sharper.

This doesn't apply to first-gen cars, as the '67-'68 Firebird was a rush job and the '69 was known to be a one-year-only redesign.  Third-gen cars were cheapened by GM to where they shared doors (the divisions had to fight for unique quarter panels).  

1 hour ago, Fat Brian said:

For reference, the Airfix kit has vents in the hood and a whaletail-esque spoiler.

airfix-cowboy-camaro-z28-nib-factory_1_75c2a89b2c44a3f4e0efe5e3989edba8.jpg.48426cf6d4e96a8fd222750ea0361d1b.jpg

Airfix issued those kits in every combination you could think of, plus a few others.  I've got a Sportwagon that I pieced together from two or three kits I picked up a a junk store.  I remember grabbing a Camaro version of the wagon, to make sure I had enough clear parts.

5 hours ago, Casey said:

Tires look a bit too chunky/tall, no?

Black donuts. Fingers crossed we get something even a little better looking! (more scale-correct)  I'll pick one or two of these up if the price is reasonable.

Edited by bisc63

I addressed this back in the Vegas stuff, but that's 5 months ago now. Ed said that the year was incorrectly listed in the Revell Germany listing and the kit was the 3n1 '79 that's been around the block several times. It's due for a reissue just based on the usual 8-10 yr cycle that Revell has used on general kit runs for years.

I can't speak to what the blurry picture shows vs. the contents of the '79 as I've never had one, but the wheels look like the ones that were in the original Midnight Z Monogram box art from 1985.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Rob Hall said:

You would think they would correct the year after 5 months.  

It took them the same 5 months to finally get the scale of the '69 Camaro correct. Two miracles is too much to expect apparently. Wasn't either the 69 or the "81" also listed as a Z16 originally as well?

1999 is getting their info directly from Germany, they've been getting some U.S. kits months in advance of when we actually got them here...it was nearly a full half a year for that Halfcab Bronco kit between it's Japanese release and U.S. one.

Doing a quick go around I don't see this kit listed for order anywhere in Europe (the 69 396SS is on pre-order everywhere), nor is there any mention of it on Stevens or any US Distributor list either. 

FWIW the only upcoming kit on the TBA list that now has a price is the '56 T-Bird which is clocking an MSRP of $34.99. They're also sold out of Henry Js already...

The wheels shown were never included in the '79 Z/28 2'n1, the fender vents are no longer the louvered '79 style (but rather the open vent style), and there are wheel spats in front of the rear wheels, which apparently didn't start until 1980. I don't think this is the 1/24 ex-Monogram '79 we are familiar with. The 1/25 Revell CHiPs Camaro looks the closest to the built up model shown, especially the slightly too large tires.

I don't care. I'll happily purchase one, just to have it. I like this kit. 

If I build it, it will set on the shelf next to the Monogram Flip Nose Malibu that Revell is releasing in the next few months.

Both Kit were a big part of beginning my journey into Model Building. 

Edited by alexis

• Casey changed the title to Revell 1981 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28

For a snapper, the CHiPs Camaro looks pretty good.

I've never had one, but it looks like the t-tops are molded in and the body contains all the 80-81 trim. Now if they include multiple colors of the Z28 stripes - I'm in!

I could use other kits to "accurize" the chassis . It looks like the closest we'll get to the last of the 2nd gen.

BTW, the Monogram snapper has an offset turbo hood blister. Never offered by Chevrolet.

• Casey changed the title to 1/24 Revell '79 ('81?) Chevrolet Camaro Z/28