Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/24 Revell '79 ('81?) Chevrolet Camaro Z/28

Casey

20 hours ago, Robberbaron said:

All I can say is read these review threads before purchasing.  Tried warning everyone in January.

Oh I knew it was going to be a snap kit, I just assumed they’d throw in better tires at that price. I guess I’m used to Round 2 upgrading tires in their old tools. Oh well, you know what happens when you assume. 😅

20 hours ago, Robberbaron said:

I still find it really odd that they're not describing this as a snap kit on the box…. Marketing it forty years later to adults that are used to full detail kits is a questionable move.

I agree. My guess is that they thought it would be too difficult for kids due to the flash (again, not terrible on flash but it would look really bad if you didn’t clean it up), and unappealing to them because of the single molded color. So, it will take an moderately experienced builder to make it look good. 

Anyways I’m still excited to build it… whenever I get to it. 

Styrene tyres can be made to look good -- if not better -- than vinyl/rubber tyres. What I do is:

1.) Primer after assembling and prepping
2.) Paint with Tamiya's Rubber, Black aerosol 
3.) Sand the tread with an aggressive grit emery board 

4.) Brush Tamiya Panel Line Accent: Black on the sanded areas

Looks better than sanding and lightly scuffing vinyl. I did this recently on the 1/32 scale Camaro F/C, and the AMT Rat Packer Nova. I'd share pics, but the weather's been crummy lately...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bob Ellis said:

I have the convertible version of this kit. A round 2 1970 Z28 kit may upgrade this kit.

Not Sure if it will but worth looking, I suppose.

Another kit I do not want. I like the Car. Not paying 22.00 for decals.....(with Free plastic parts)

This also shares guts with their 78-81 Pontiac Firebirds. This tool was last seen in 2006-7 as the 1979 Firebird Street Machine (green car on box). I remember building the Firebird issue because of the crazy widebody kit on the box, but seeing the chassis and motor, blegghhhh!!!!

I remember 14 year old me hacked up a dirt cheap C5 corvette and used it's guts and frame underneath the Firebird. Granted my execution 2007 era was, shall we say "not the best", but I had the right idea. Basically, if one has the skill and parts they can create iced tea lemonaid out of moldy teabags and rancid lemons.

Edited by RickRollerLT1

17 hours ago, RickRollerLT1 said:

This also shares guts with their 78-81 Pontiac Firebirds. This tool was last seen in 2006-7 as the 1979 Firebird Street Machine (green car on box). I remember building the Firebird issue because of the crazy widebody kit on the box, but seeing the chassis and motor, blegghhhh!!!!

No, That's a completely different kit.

21 hours ago, RickRollerLT1 said:

This also shares guts with their 78-81 Pontiac Firebirds. This tool was last seen in 2006-7 as the 1979 Firebird Street Machine 

There was a Camaro Street Machine kit in the "Hot Rod" (magazine) series that shares the body and most parts with the Firebird (same series) mentioned by Richard. I don't know if the interiors are the same, but I seem to recall the front and rear fascias for both cars were present in both kits.

s-l1600.jpg

s-l225.webp

• Thanks 1

On 11/1/2022 at 9:58 PM, StanGlover said:

Just picked one of these up from HL today. Decals look beautiful. The plastic tires… not so much. I’m a little disappointed they didn’t provide rubber tires. Some flash but nothing too bad. No warping. It’s definitely a snap kit but the box doesn’t mention that at all. HL has it listed for $34.99 in my area which is frankly way too much for what you get. Luckily this week is 40% off, so I only paid $21 which is what this kit should start at to begin with… Overall it should make a fun quick build/slump buster. 
 2C4EC79C-F88E-44CC-AF56-FB60E472F2BE.thumb.jpeg.026832a8fa1b94e783d528e955071085.jpeg
F05EBE60-ABEF-4AD6-95C0-AFC8783A0173.thumb.jpeg.e4d84be6dd2314b3b234a8355524a5c1.jpeg50A63D34-70A7-416C-97E5-1A4FE3C71294.thumb.jpeg.b3ed8f87661405f49d2ae6d6ceaaabd0.jpegA50D4D6E-999B-49C2-A685-32C6100C23C1.thumb.jpeg.3fe09a89e019c4cd38daacb18ffd9116.jpegE61ED9D9-ADF7-4715-9390-5F57FA73B92E.thumb.jpeg.361a6207ddba41fa4eb10762fc221eda.jpeg

Thanks for the pictures! 
It’s weird that there are only a few on eBay right now (highly priced, $50+) and none of the big online outlets have these yet. Just Hobby Lobby? 

• Like 1

Unfortunately, I won’t getting this one unless it’s just for the decals.  The wheel well shape is completely wrong.   Sure, it’s not like Revell has been immune to inaccurate wheel well shapes in their recent kits, but with this kit it makes a noticeable difference.  The wheel wells should be elliptical not round.  It has Firebird style wheel wells.

Round 2 should also reissue the AMT Snap-Fit ‘81 Z28.  It’s the same kit as the AMT Cheverra reissue, but with the stock rear deck lid/spoiler.  The Cheverra came with a custom whale tail rear spoiler/deck lid.  Including the stock rear spoiler/deck lid would get more profit out of the Cheverra tooling and offer a more realistic building option compared to the Revell kit.

Since Round 2 is reissuing the ‘80’s Camaro Pro Street, I hope it comes with the stock ‘80-‘81 style hood.  I think the tooling insert for the Cold Air Induction hood was either lost or damaged because they went to the earlier ‘78-‘79 style hood in the Thunder-Z and Pro Street kits.   Anyway, if they can’t find it, they could possibly clone it for a future release so a stock ‘80-‘81 Z28 could be built again.  Of course, if they also include the proper N90 wheels so the builder doesn’t have to raid the Revell Camaro or Monte Carlo SS kit to get them. 

Edited by mikos

1 hour ago, stavanzer said:

Here is a thread with useful Info about the Upcoming Round2 (ex MPC) 81 Camaro.

That was the ‘81 Turbo-Z annual.  The last issue of that tooling was the Camaro ProStreet in the mid ‘80’s.  That’s probably the one they’re straight reissuing.  The Thunder-Z and Pro Street kits did not come with the stock ‘80-‘81 style hood or N90 wheels.  They only came with the earlier ‘78-‘79 style hood and custom wheels.  This leads me to believe the original tooling insert for the ‘80-‘81 hood was either damaged or lost back in the early ‘80’s.  When Round 2 reissues it again, you will only be able to build a custom ‘78-‘79 style Camaro Z28.  The ‘80-‘81’s had a different style hood and front fender vents.   Even with the earlier hood, a stock ‘78-‘79 Z28 still can not be made because the fender vents changed in ‘80-‘81.  

Edited by mikos

Well, I'll take it any way they send it.

This kit as a Custom is still better than the Revell Snap-a-roo kit.

BTW, thanks for sharing your knowledge of this kit's history. As you can see up in that thread, I tried to show as much of the history as I could with the direction sheets, but direct info about the contents is always better.

Steve G. is always helpful with sharing the details he can share about these kits.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, stavanzer said:

Well, I'll take it any way they send it.

This kit as a Custom is still better than the Revell Snap-a-roo kit.

BTW, thanks for sharing your knowledge of this kit's history. As you can see up in that thread, I tried to show as much of the history as I could with the direction sheets, but direct info about the contents is always better.

Steve G. is always helpful with sharing the details he can share about these kits.

Me too.  I hope the first reissue sells well enough so that they can add the hood and wheels at a later date.