Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell S10 "Street Sleeper"

I suppose we all know this kit shares parts with the Revell Syclone and somewhere along the way, tooling was misplaced, damaged, or whatever.  The kit, out of the box, gives you Chevrolet S-10 body panels, wheels, trim; and gives you the GMC Syclone drivetrain setup.  I'm ok with that, although I would really love a plain-jane S10.  Anyway, I have a few of these in the stash and started working on one last month (December).   Here's where I am so far.

Wheels are not attached, and I'm thinking of striping them and going back with an aluminum finish.   In these pictures, wheels are Alclad II Black Chrome.   Other metallic finishes are either Alclad II Chrome or Tamiya spray lacquer Gloss Aluminum TS-17.  Tamiya washes used throughout. Pardon the dust. :) 

2022-01-15-12-02-45-778_orig.jpeg

2022-01-15-12-02-56-018_orig.jpeg

2022-01-15-12-24-30-038_orig.jpeg

Edited by Jonathan

• Jonathan changed the title to Revell S10 "Street Sleeper"
15 hours ago, NOBLNG said:

Nice start!👍 I had an ‘84 and ‘91. They were nice little trucks.

My Dad had a 90 (I think, maybe 89?) 4.3, extended cab.  Between the trucks that he and I have owned, I think that is still my favorite.  He sold it with around 250k miles on it; next guy kept it for another 100k before unloading it.

10 hours ago, Rusty92 said:

Off to a good start. I am looking at buying an S10 for my next vehicle, I've always liked them!!

I'd love to find a first generation one in good shape!

Nearing the scary part - final assembly...

And then I realized - I chipped the paint just under the windshield, behind the cowl.  ARGHH!!!   Should I repaint the cab?  The paint is a tad thin on the roof.  Of course, if I repaint, there is the (very high) probability that it will look worse once I'm done with it.  🤨

2022-01-19-23-06-36-319_orig.jpeg

Edited by Jonathan

On 1/18/2022 at 5:17 PM, Keef said:

I’ve wanted to get a couple of these kits to build the truck I sold a few months back.

146k original miles

Why did you sell it, if I can ask?   

On 1/18/2022 at 5:30 PM, crazyjim said:

Chassis details are very nice. I like the different shades of paint used.

Thank you.

On 1/18/2022 at 10:02 PM, Tabbysdaddy said:

Very cool. I built the 3 in 1 version to resemble my friend's truck (long bed). Now the truck is mine so I got this kit to go with the Waverider I have to build it with a long bed. 

I didn't know about this one but picked it up when I saw it. It is 1/20 scale though. 

The 3-n-1 kit is the one to have if you can find it.  I sold one a little while back and wish that I'd kept it.   

I never understood the 1/20 scale kits - they don't fit well with anything in the cabinet.  Have you built that kit?  Just wondering how it builds up...

23 minutes ago, Keef said:

No time to work on it anymore

Bummer.  I was just wondering.  I've always been partial to these trucks.  Of all the trucks that have been in the family between all of us - I think the first generation S-10 remains my favorite.