Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT mercury cougar fast back.

happy grumpy

A few years ago, while browsing this forum ,I stumble on a nice "what if" kind of build of a 69 eliminator fast back and it looked so right. I don't remember who did it but if you recognize yourself, thank you for inspiring me to build my own. I swap the top and back from an AMT 69 mustang and voila. This is how this car should have been build IMHO but you don't have to agree. It came out t better than I thought it would since I am weary of attempting extensive surgery like some of you do. Since it is a relatively simple mod and that I wanted this so bad, It got me going.

As always thanks for sharing.

ford 1969 cougar fastback 07.jpg

ford 1969 cougar fastback 08.jpg

ford 1969 cougar fastback 09.jpg

ford 1969 mercury cougar 10.jpg

ford 1969 mercury cougar 11.jpg

ford 1969 mercury cougar 12.jpg

ford 1969 mercury cougar 13.jpg

ford 1969 mercury cougar 14.jpg

• Like 4

This one Mario? I'm happy to be of inspiration if this is the model that got you interested in doing one. You nailed it Buddy, She looks fantastic. I know I enjoyed building mine.😎

45204527032_a4fb26e73a_c.jpg

Edited by Geno
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Geno said:

This one Mario? I'm happy to be of inspiration if this is the model that got you interested in doing one. You nailed it Buddy, She looks fantastic. I know I enjoyed building mine.😎

45204527032_a4fb26e73a_c.jpg

I think the one I saw was yellow or light orange i can't remember for sure. It was at least 4 or 5 years ago. Anyway, yours looks just as cool. I wonder why Ford did not offer a fast back option for the cougar, it looks so natural in this configuration. I guess someone at ford did not want to compete directly with the Mustang unlike Camaro and Firebird. Thanks for sharing your take on the cougar. Proof that I am not the only one who likes this iteration of an already nice car.

Thanks everyone for the kind words.

27 minutes ago, Pat Minarick said:

This one maybe? You did a nice job on yours. Going to do a '70 as soon as I get a few missing pieces. 

12-24-2010016_zps575c47b1.jpg.a64272b1544964f986f913a79237f618.jpg

Pat, I'm pretty sure that's the one I saw. Thanks to you for inspiring me to do it . This car looks so nice like this. Would be fun to see one done for real.

thanks for sharing.

• Like 1

Mario, your Cougar looks great.

Mercury did do a Cougar show car called El Gato. It was a metallic green fastback Cougar with definitely 70s styling for the grille and taillights, but easily recognized as a Cougar. I always wanted to build one, but it's way back in the queue.

1970-mercury-el-gato-right-600.jpg?resiz

Edited by SSNJim
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, happy grumpy said:

I think the one I saw was yellow or light orange i can't remember for sure. It was at least 4 or 5 years ago. Anyway, yours looks just as cool. I wonder why Ford did not offer a fast back option for the cougar, it looks so natural in this configuration. I guess someone at ford did not want to compete directly with the Mustang unlike Camaro and Firebird. Thanks for sharing your take on the cougar. Proof that I am not the only one who likes this iteration of an already nice car.

Thanks Mario, I done mine in this color as my dad had one this color when I was a kid, I loved that car. It got clipped by a salt truck and totaled.