Model Cars Magazine Forum

Italeri 2022

dbostream

Well, I was very glad to be able to get the Toyota FJ Landcruiser with alternate tops last year, so there is some good. It is really great to be able to get the various Rallye cars also.

So, I think many builders will find at least a couple kits that interest them. Remember too, that Italeri is focused on Europe, not North America.

• Like 2

On 1/20/2022 at 3:14 PM, BVC500 said:

The problem with these reissues like the 190e and the 500SLC is that they're crude, not very accurate 30-40 yr old kits, so why does Italeri think there's any interest?

Perhaps because there IS interest, despite the fact that it’s not your interest. And, as for crudeness, they are no worse than any old Jo-Han kit, but most anybody would like to see those reissued, and every so often we hear moping about those “precoius molds”…  Oh, that’s right, they are American… 🙄

Edited by PowerPlant

Easy there, Mr Croat - that's not the sort of hypocrisy you'll catch BVC in with any kind of frequency.

Otherwise, you have a point.  People who assume their lack of interest means nobody has any interest are really saying more about themselves than they are anyone else.

A pokey, underachieving, malaised-out GM colonnade is one of the most idiotic automotive subjects ever conceived to lust after, but at least any of 'em is way uglier than its A-platform antecedent.

But hey man, that's just, y'know, like my opinion.  

k-archive-75202e2726f5c504131816645b34930d56ce7404.jpeg.1e632bd5093c5ccc29700a160def803f.jpeg

• Like 2

5 hours ago, PowerPlant said:

Perhaps because there IS interest, despite the fact that it’s not your interest. And, as for crudeness, they are no worse than any old Jo-Han kit, but most anybody would like to see those reissued, and every so often we hear moping about those “precoius molds”…  Oh, that’s right, they are American… 🙄

Perhaps there's not and they're just hoping the market will buy their junk because it's not costing them much effort using old molds. Demand better. Don't buy misshapen, toy-like models and maybe they'll do better and make new investments, like the Bugatti. The market should speak for itself, not Italeri for the market. 

Look at the Volvo. While I don't think its as bad as the 500SLC, they didn't even bother to address the truck-like tires. Seems like there was no questioning "is there any small improvements we can make to update this kit?"

Edited by BVC500

Sorry if I offended anyone. And I myself am a fan of his dudeness so I respect your opinion man 😎

just trying to make a point that saying how nobody is interested in certain subject matter literally underneath a post in which someone expressed interest seems a bit redundant.

I do understand the point that improving certain details/parts such as tires could have/ should have been done, but I’d rather see the kit reissued unchanged than not reissued at all… I can work around not-so-great, but find it impossible to work around nothing 😝🤷‍♂️  And btw, if you think  new Italeri tooling is any better, you should take a look at their new 1:12 lancia delta inaccurato, pardon… integrale. Once again, my sincere apologies if my wording was crude, and kind regards.

Edited by PowerPlant
  • Like 1

I will be adding one of the crude Mercedes kits to my stash, to go with the just as crude Volvos I added last year.  I will also be doing a Whats In The Box video video recorded in 4k to really help capture the crudeness😊

That is interesting that the Volvo appeared in the '22 release , thats gotta be a typo for sure.

Edited by martinfan5

3 hours ago, Chuck Kourouklis said:

REALLY.

I kinda like my Delta Inaccurograle - certainly find it and the 8C2300 and the Cinquecento superior to many a finer ESCI reissue.

Well, smashed body shell aside, of course.  But Italeri's promised to make that right. 🙂

And a Type 35 to the same standards is one big YES PLEASE, imnsho...

A friend of mine is doing a detailed build of the Lancia on a Croatian forum. He is quite a stickler for rally car details, and the kit lacks quite a bit of detail in the interior (especially for a larger scale kit of a domestic car), which I am not intricately familiar with, but there are all sorts of very obvious an inaccurate tooling solutions on the barren/visible interior floor. But don’t get me wrong, I’m not bashing Italeri or anyone here, just saying that no kit is ever quite perfect (reissue or new tool) and sometimes corners are cut for various reasons that arise during the production process. That said, I would not enjoy this hobby as much as I do if all I had to do was shake the box and get a perfect result. I actually find it fun and challenging to improve, change and adapt certain aspects of most any kit I ever dig into to suit my preferences. And yes, the tires in the volvo and mercedes kits are atrocious, but if I like the subject matter in general, I don’t worry about that and just do my own thing anyway. Plenty of options out there to chose from. As long as the general appearance and the shape of the main body features are correct, everything else in my book is subject to that magic thing we call kitbashing and scratchbuilding. So, bring them on I say 😀

Edited by PowerPlant
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, PowerPlant said:

As long as the general appearance and the shape of the main body features are correct, everything else in my book is subject to that magic thing we call kitbashing and scratchbuilding. So, bring them on I say 😀

I've got to ask, since you seem to like euro subjects like me. No offense to the builder here, just a picture I found on google of the Revell/Aoshima 230TE.  One can argue that the model captures the general appearance and the shape of the main body features...while getting every part and shape completely wrong and turning a handsome 1:1 vehicle into a caricature, such that no amount of kit bashing and scratch building will fix. Some might be satisfied with this, and some like me aren't.  I don't mind scratch building here and there, but without Mikhail Petrenko's CAD skills and a 3d printer to create a part or a new model from scratch, I'm left with not buying turds for subjects that I like, such as the w201 or w107 Mercedes. I grew up with a w124 300TE and would love a nice kit of one (ModelingMaster has w124s in the works). But I see the 500SLC (the 190e not to the same degree) fitting into the same category as the Revell/Aoshima 230TE. 

Now, ya'll will say "fine, then don't give them your money" and I certainly won't - its being saved for new and exciting Alpha Model kits. I saying that you shouldn't reward Italeri for regurgitating old, poor quality kits either. :) 

3274485136_2_8_7iPdFajT.jpg

Edited by BVC500