Model Cars Magazine Forum

Two-toned paint schemes masking question.

GMP440

I am working on the painting a 71 Cyclone race car. Would like to read about suggestions as far as what kind of paper to use for covering areas

not to be painted. I have been using newspaper but is there anything else better that would work. Thank you.

ive always sprayed the lightest color first, over enough area , then started teh mask with bare metal foil to reduce the paint lip, then i tape a large baggie around the rest of the model leaving the darker area to be painted exposed.

so far the the baggies havent given me issues with bleed like newspaper, or paper bag has

bill

I use two things for masking paint...........Parafilm M, and Tamiya Tape. Both leave no residue, are easy to handle and are relatively inexpensive for what you get.

Pb120790-vi.jpg

The Parafilm can be found here but it's a little pricey IMO for the size roll they give you--------you're better off finding it on eBay on the cheap if you want to buy it on the 'net.

Also if you have a medical supply shop nearby, they may have it as it's used in laboratories for sealing beakers. :lol:

Tamiya Tape can be found in well stocked hobby shops, if not there then definitely on the 'net.

HTH!

I use something similar to Bill; Tamiya tape for the nitty gritty (or sometimes Bare Metal Foil for really intricate masking), and then Glad Press 'n Seal to mask off everything else. The Glad stuff is nice because it sticks (but not permanently), so it's a lot easier than monkeying with newspaper and more tape.

:P

I use something similar to Bill; Tamiya tape for the nitty gritty (or sometimes Bare Metal Foil for really intricate masking), and then Glad Press 'n Seal to mask off everything else. The Glad stuff is nice because it sticks (but not permanently), so it's a lot easier than monkeying with newspaper and more tape.
:D:P

Try this as it works and is the quickest way to mask off!!

IMG_0231.jpg

IMG_0757.jpg

IMG_0764.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I unsuccessfully have tried 3M fine line tape and paint always leaks under it, so I was very interested in these discussions about tamiya masking tape. I did a search for "Tamiya tape" to try and find a source to purchase some of it. That search brought up a posting from Finescale.com where a guy says Shurtape Razor Edge Gold Premium masking tape is the same stuff but much cheaper. It's supposed to be available at Sherwin-Williams Paint stores.