Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT Corvair

happy grumpy

I built this when I was trying to figure out the Tamiya acrylic metallic paints to mix custom colors. It ended up giving good results. I did not care much if I botched it, I got this kit dirt cheap and I did not care much about the subject matter. When I looked at the finish model I got to say, that's a nice little car with an undeserved reputation back in the day. If this hobby has taught me anything , it's given me a new appreciation for cars that I did not really catch my eye back then, now with hindsight, I appreciate them more now that are mostly gone from the roads. I have close to 300 model cars and I like every single one of them.

cheers.

chevy corvair 01.jpg

chevy corvair 03.jpg

chevy corvair 10.jpg

chevy corvair 11.jpg

chevy corvair 12.jpg

• Like 4

13 hours ago, happy grumpy said:

If this hobby has taught me anything , it's given me a new appreciation for cars that I did not really catch my eye back then, now with hindsight, I appreciate them more now

Ain't it the truth?!

Very nice job on this one; that color is gorgeous on the Corvair's body. Which Tamiya color is that?

Thanks everyone for your kind words,

6 hours ago, bisc63 said:

Ain't it the truth?!

Very nice job on this one; that color is gorgeous on the Corvair's body. Which Tamiya color is that?

Rusty, the colors I used were tamiya acrylic metallic brown , bronze and metallic gold. The only thing to be careful of is to wait a few days to let the acrylic cure, especially the metallic, If you use TS 13 clear too soon it washes the metallic particles and it looks bad. I always wait at least a week before I clear, and another  2 to 3 days before I polish. The non metallic paint is more forgiving but I treat it the same . I found that if you wait longer , the clear does not sink in the paint as much and it gives a better finish with less coats. I hope this makes sense . It works for me.

regards

On 1/20/2022 at 1:25 PM, happy grumpy said:

Thanks everyone for your kind words,

Rusty, the colors I used were tamiya acrylic metallic brown , bronze and metallic gold. The only thing to be careful of is to wait a few days to let the acrylic cure, especially the metallic, If you use TS 13 clear too soon it washes the metallic particles and it looks bad. I always wait at least a week before I clear, and another  2 to 3 days before I polish. The non metallic paint is more forgiving but I treat it the same . I found that if you wait longer , the clear does not sink in the paint as much and it gives a better finish with less coats. I hope this makes sense . It works for me.

regards

Super nice Corvair, and I love the color choice.

I'm using Tamiya acrylic metallics too, and you're so right about waiting for it to cure before clear. On my latest project, I got good results for the hood and body after a 1-day cure, but on a third piece I hit it with a way-too-wet coat of clear and it lightened the color somewhat. The acrylics make up for the long wait with their ease of use, and airbrush cleanup is far easier. They go on smooth!