Model Cars Magazine Forum

How to modify spoke wheel

hi every one🙂

I would like to show you how I modify the spoke wheels for bike models

I've tried many ways to do it and I felt this might be the most suitable way for me..

hope this tips works for you..😄

1304628333_Tips-spokewheels.mp4_20220119_195214_614.jpg.d5fbd648fa10e09306e263644ba60c10.jpg 

here is the  whole building process video:

hope you like it!!😄

• Thanks 3

Yes, this is a clever way to replace the plastic spokes.

It was unclear to me in the video how you held the hub halves together for installing first half of the spokes (4:31 in the video). Only after re-watching few times I noticed that you are using a screw in the center axle hole to keep the hub halves together.  It would have been useful if you showed that procedure in the video (or even just mentioned it in the captions.  You also did not make any mention of the blue paint marks which seem to be for aligning the rim and the hub. Still, this is a very helpful video.  Thanks!

I'm also curious how you cut the metal tubing so cleanly  for the nipples?

Edited by peteski
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, peteski said:

Yes, this is a clever way to replace the plastic spokes.

It was unclear to me in the video how you held the hub halves together for installing first half of the spokes (4:31 in the video). Only after re-watching few times I noticed that you are using a screw in the center axle hole to keep the hub halves together.  It would have been useful if you showed that procedure in the video (or even just mentioned it in the captions.  You also did not make any mention of the blue paint marks which seem to be for aligning the rim and the hub. Still, this is a very helpful video.  Thanks!

I'm also curious how you cut the metal tubing so cleanly  for the nipples?

hi,thank you very much for your comment🙂

yes,I use the kit's M1.6 screw to keep the hub..and yes, the blue mark is for aligning the rim and the hub..I forgot to record them or mention that..😅 I will pay more attention on my next video🙂

I cut the tube by a power tool with diamond grinding disc,after cutting them off,I also file the cutting edge..it takes time😅...I am also looking for a metal fabricator that can do this for me...

thank you and have a good day!!😀

Thanks for answering my questions Lin.  The video is very well done, but I figured I should  mention that it left me with couple of questions.

I was just hoping that you had some trick for cleanly cutting the tubing as I also find that task a bit of a pain.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Thank you. Great work...just the technique I need to get on with a 1/8 motorcycle build.     :D

4 hours ago, misterNNL said:

This seems to be a less labor intensive method to achieve that real spoke look than the lacing kit method. I may indeed attempt to do this on a future project. Thanks for sharing your technique with us.

thank you!!🙂

I am glad this tips works for you!!😄