Model Cars Magazine Forum

1949 Ferrari 166

Brudda

My buddy Mark came by and gave me a 1/24 166 Ferrari. So I’m going to do this as to give me a rest on my 935/78. Put the wheels together. They are pretty cool. I tried to paint the body but things did not go  right so I stopped and am resanding  the body. There are people saying the body is off but I do not care and am just going to build it out of box. After doing these big scale kits, this 1/24 seems tiny. So here we go…..

• Like 3

Just now, Brudda said:

My buddy Mark came by and gave me a 1/24 166 Ferrari. So I’m going to do this as to give me a rest on my 935/78. Put the wheels together. They are pretty cool. I tried to paint the body but things did not go  right so I stopped and am resanding  the body. There are people saying the body is off but I do not care and am just going to build it out of box. After doing these big scale kits, this 1/24 seems tiny. So here we go…..

FEAA518C-CCB6-4345-B0A4-FD74066D36CB.jpeg

7E726A51-3679-44FA-9457-EB95E4F7E1B4.jpeg

E03D01C8-DA73-477C-91C6-35E9D9456600.jpeg

• Like 1

Looks good. :D

2 hours ago, Brudda said:

There are people saying the body is off...

I've never seen two 166s that were exactly the same anyway, so without careful measurement of the particular car represented, which few modelers are going to have access to, it's pretty much a moot point. If the first impression looks close, that's about all you can reasonably expect.   B)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Looks good. :D

I've never seen two 166s that were exactly the same anyway, so without careful measurement of the particular car represented, which few modelers are going to have access to, it's pretty much a moot point. If the first impression looks close, that's about all you can reasonably expect.   B)

Ace-Garageguy, yes I have looked at several and each are a little different. This happens when your hand making a body of a car. I remember working on two 289 cobras and I went to look at the other for measurement and they were different. Hand hammered body’s are not the same. And I agree, if it looks close. run with it.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, slusher said:

Man, that’s a beautiful paint finish, Bruce!!

Thank you Carl. Had a disaster paint day last Sunday. So I just put it down, walked away and finished it today. Here is a little mock up of the body with the wire wheels. Kind of a cool little Ferrari. 

FF537F17-AF8F-4BA5-96FA-510189CF2FF1.jpeg

EFE4823F-2314-400B-8B29-ADF4D98CEFC2.jpeg

• Like 2

On 1/23/2022 at 9:36 PM, 89AKurt said:

Won't bore you with why I'm sitting in this car, but that's why I'm following this build! 😁

2728735827_9a11c02a35_o.jpg.71720cc68a28a502e851278ac07c4868.jpg

89 AKurt, please tell the story. This is why we build. History is what makes it great. Why is a regular 65 mustang worth so much and a Shelby mustang is worth so much more. History…

Thanks, didn't want to hijack your topic, but since the subject is of interest, here goes.  Gentleman lived back East, worked for IBM, traveled around the world.  He saw an ad in the local newspaper, the description was extremely vague, but he had to check it out.  He immediately knew it was an early Ferrari, only after pulling it home did he discover it is the first car, serial number is very short.  He had to track down the engine, which was in South America if I recall (he told me the story last century).  There had been a heated debate among Ferrari experts, so he took it to a Palm Springs car show and they poured over the car, and determined yes it is the first car.  picture on Flickr  Old Cars: First Ferrari Race Car Headed to Palm Springs Concours  He raced it on tracks back east.  It is unrestored, the paint is cracked, doesn't look sexy as the over-restored cars that everyone thought were the very first car.  I begged for a ride, took it around the block.  That was before my phase of producing videos, sure would have liked to document the story.  My pictures are from when he chaired the Prescott Antique Auto Club car show.

1934706032_Ferrarino1a.jpg.a30bd733377d8f9df47f49f991275565.jpg
1280524410_Ferrarino1b.jpg.99825728ea3ef4fc96450a5555ab480c.jpg

Edited by 89AKurt
  • Like 1

Bruce, your model is coming along nicely and will be following the build. That car has nice lines.

Dennis. Your 1/14th scale kit looks incredibly comprehensive. Is it one of Marshall Buck' s creations from his Creative Miniature Associates company? He is currently working on a 1/12 scale Ford GT40 kit I believe.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/26/2022 at 8:41 PM, 89AKurt said:

Thanks, didn't want to hijack your topic, but since the subject is of interest, here goes.  Gentleman lived back East, worked for IBM, traveled around the world.  He saw an ad in the local newspaper, the description was extremely vague, but he had to check it out.  He immediately knew it was an early Ferrari, only after pulling it home did he discover it is the first car, serial number is very short.  He had to track down the engine, which was in South America if I recall (he told me the story last century).  There had been a heated debate among Ferrari experts, so he took it to a Palm Springs car show and they poured over the car, and determined yes it is the first car.  picture on Flickr  Old Cars: First Ferrari Race Car Headed to Palm Springs Concours  He raced it on tracks back east.  It is unrestored, the paint is cracked, doesn't look sexy as the over-restored cars that everyone thought were the very first car.  I begged for a ride, took it around the block.  That was before my phase of producing videos, sure would have liked to document the story.  My pictures are from when he chaired the Prescott Antique Auto Club car show.

1934706032_Ferrarino1a.jpg.a30bd733377d8f9df47f49f991275565.jpg
1280524410_Ferrarino1b.jpg.99825728ea3ef4fc96450a5555ab480c.jpg

WOW!!! That is soooo cool!!!! Thank you for the great story. I have to put the Ferrari away for a little bit. Agora has a 427 cobra for me to start. I’m changing the paint and some other things. But I will be back on this build after the cobra.,

• Like 1