Model Cars Magazine Forum

1949 Ferrari 166

Brudda

The interior of the 166. My least favorite thing to do on a model car. Made templates from tamiya tape. Had some carpet left over from a mfh cobra. Surprised it came out. Now the sears. With Chris Smiths and Marks help, maybe I might have a chance of doing this without messing up. 

C18E7EB7-5EE2-4EA7-8358-359B074F1241.jpeg

8102E0BF-13B9-4878-9082-F793EFED1DBC.jpeg

BFD817E0-5E41-423E-86ED-A3CC5252474C.jpeg

9BB5BE90-AE33-4059-B2F6-30A519FBC91B.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Back on the Ferrari. Refitting things and getting reacquainted with the build. Model factory hiro kits need sooooo much attention it’s crazy. My fellow modeler , Phil,  says they are time suckers. He is right. The hood opens and closes nicely but the rear deck lid is a real pain. Seems no matter what I do the deck lid hits the body when I open it. So I think I may have a solution that I am copying on a 1/8 build. Here we go……..

0F7FB6AE-2CE4-46DD-AAED-A23880E13AB3.jpeg

DB84AB28-A887-453B-AC34-E49B0C7CB455.jpeg

B9B6ACAC-8F1F-47C6-AAFF-FF19B338B729.jpeg

image.jpg

• Like 1

Aw man, I was all excited to see the trunk hinge! LOL

Everything is looking so great so far!

Those MFH kits are really difficult, and for the high prices, kinda shameful!

But in the end, you'll have a remarkable and rare Ferrari to display!

Ciao!!!

23 hours ago, dino246gt said:

Ciao!!!

23 hours ago, dino246gt said:

Ciao!!!

Thank you dino246gt. I put a little slot for a hole on the body side of the hinges. So it will come back a little to clear the body. Kind of works.   Not the best but better than what I had. And your right, the price is crazy and does not come with everything. Like hinges. I look at a mfh kit as a very expensive partial kit. I have built several 1/12 kits and they are expensive and do not come with everything. I built a 1/12 427 cobra and it did not come with brake lines and wiring for the firewall. Plus other little things. So you have to scratch build those. It took me a whole year to build it. Crazy for a expensive kit. But if you want detail, these are the kits to get. Most mfh kits are too much for modelers. My friend Phil says they are time suckers. He is right. I had to build a revell kit in between these builds to keep my sanity. 

9 hours ago, beeRS said:

This is coming along nicely. Nice work on those hinges. I’m guessing the hood is white metal? What adhesive are you using to attach the hinges to the hood?

Thank you beeRS. I am using a ca glue with a activator. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Brudda said:

Thank you dino246gt. I put a little slot for a hole on the body side of the hinges. So it will come back a little to clear the body. Kind of works.   Not the best but better than what I had. And your right, the price is crazy and does not come with everything. Like hinges. I look at a mfh kit as a very expensive partial kit. I have built several 1/12 kits and they are expensive and do not come with everything. I built a 1/12 427 cobra and it did not come with brake lines and wiring for the firewall. Plus other little things. So you have to scratch build those. It took me a whole year to build it. Crazy for a expensive kit. But if you want detail, these are the kits to get. Most mfh kits are too much for modelers. My friend Phil says they are time suckers. He is right. I had to build a revell kit in between these builds to keep my sanity. 

I should add, for the defense of mfh kits, that it is highly specialized and not for your average modeler. And if you want super detail and a model that will impress, a mfh kit will do it. My cobra won best Shelby at the IPMS nationals. Took a whole year to build it but if you have extreme patience, this is for you. Here is a pic of the cobra

B24654CA-5D45-4CEE-B14C-25B23C6C2ED4.jpeg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mustang1989 said:

I can't get over the paint quality and details going into this rascal. Just beautiful work Bruce. You have my attention brother.

Thank you mustang1989. Headers and exhaust. Will put the tips on when the body goes on. 

13776EBC-E08E-466F-B3CF-13A9CF588354.jpeg

image.jpg

The floor mounted to the chassis. Seats installed, just put the gauges in the dash and the decals are drying. Had to make a firewall. Yes as expensive as this kit is , it had no firewall. The red panel on the ground is the firewall that I made from evergreen.The interior of a model is the part of the model I just do not like to do. Or it’s the least thing I like to do on a car model. But it’s kind of important on this little roadster. Since it really shows. Comming along. 

8D74D09F-A803-437F-AF99-E76999201A07.jpeg

1B95C7B4-37BC-4B1B-87A5-467593FEA894.jpeg

Very nice. 
I always had very mixed feelings about MFH. It is absolutely mind boggling the level of inaccuracies in some high end model makers, whether in kits or finished models. Some things I just scratch my head and for the life of me can’t find a reason why they would have done some things. 
  What model is this supposed to represent? Just Ferrari 166 is rather vague. Does it specify on the box? I’m asking, because most Barchettas with that five instrument dash have a shifter placed more forward with the unique triangular knob.