Jump to content
Model Cars Magazine Forum

1949 Ferrari 166


Brudda
 Share

Recommended Posts

looks like a great kit and you are definitely doing a great job with it. I personally would have gone with darker red, as Ferrari used different red than what todays rosso corsa is. 
 

about the story with the real Ferrari, I don’t mean to rain on anyone’s parade, but that is not the first Ferrari car. The car in the picture caused a lot of stir when it resurfaced, but by now it is known that the oldest part on it is its Motto body (which is unique) originally made for serial number 002C, which in turn was the third Ferrari made. 

Edited by mrm
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 months later...
8 hours ago, beeRS said:

This is going to be a beauty!  Lovely paint job. Who makes this kit? MFH?

Hello beeRS. Yes it is a mfh kit. But it needs a few things. I will try to make a hood and deck lid hinge. They are not included in the kit. Made a firewall. If you notice, there is a gap between the floor and the dash arrangement. So I made a firewall out of some evergreen. The kit engine has plug wires, but no other wire details are included. So you have to come up with the extra detail wires. No brake lines, or other lines are included. Need to fab a throttle linkage. Well the list goes on and on. Good kit, although expensive, you need to fab some extra detail to get it the way you want. Thank you sir. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/14/2022 at 7:42 AM, Ace-Garageguy said:

Very clever assembly jig for the grille insert. I'll have to remember that one.   :D

Thank you Ace. Could not hold the parts with my hands. Had some silly putty for masking and thought it might work. Glued into a square and took it out of the silly putty and filled in the rest of the photo etch grill. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...
On 5/9/2022 at 12:57 PM, dino246gt said:

You're doing a great job on that kit, looks like it's going to be a fantastic model after you finish it, FORZA FERRARI!

 

Thank you dino246gt. Speaking of a Dino 246 gt, reminds me when Ferrari of Los Gatos was open. I saw the most beautiful Ferrari I ever saw at that time. It was a maroon Dino 246 gt with a beautiful tan interior. I believe it to be one of the most beautiful pininfarina design on a automobile. I have a Fujimi kit of one and am working on it a little at a time. It’s going to be maroon with a tan interior. Cool name, cool car! 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Brudda said:

Thank you dino246gt. Speaking of a Dino 246 gt, reminds me when Ferrari of Los Gatos was open. I saw the most beautiful Ferrari I ever saw at that time. It was a maroon Dino 246 gt with a beautiful tan interior. I believe it to be one of the most beautiful pininfarina design on a automobile. I have a Fujimi kit of one and am working on it a little at a time. It’s going to be maroon with a tan interior. Cool name, cool car! 

Yes, I use that name because I used to have one! Sold it to settle a divorce back in 1983!

Got back on my feet and after 20 years I was able to get a 308GTB.

Dino 246GT is now out of my price range, sadly.

img076.jpg

IMG_E5467re.JPG

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, dino246gt said:

Yes, I use that name because I used to have one! Sold it to settle a divorce back in 1983!

Got back on my feet and after 20 years I was able to get a 308GTB.

Dino 246GT is now out of my price range, sadly.

img076.jpg

IMG_E5467re.JPG

You are a very lucky man to have had the pleasure of owning one! I had a choice of a lime green 246 Dino or a silver 914-6. I bought the 914-6. Because I was told they had few problems. The 914-6 was still a fun car, just did not look as sexy as a Dino. Cool, I love the stories! Thank you for them! 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Brudda said:

You are a very lucky man to have had the pleasure of owning one! I had a choice of a lime green 246 Dino or a silver 914-6. I bought the 914-6. Because I was told they had few problems. The 914-6 was still a fun car, just did not look as sexy as a Dino. Cool, I love the stories! Thank you for them! 

By the way , I really love that 308 also. Another pininfarina beauty

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/14/2022 at 3:33 AM, Codi said:

I just don't know how you can build a car this small and intricate Bruce.  My hats are off to you.  cheers, tim

Thank you Tim. A very big challenge. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, peteski said:

That is some impressive work Bruce!  I noticed that the silver engine parts seem to have a textured surface. Was that present on the unpainted parts, or is it the silver paint itself?

Hello Peteski, it’s the metal. I polished the parts and this is what I ended up with. In person it looks polished. And the rough texture is not present. The pics really make it look rough. Smallest Ferrari i have worked on. Mfh kits are time consuming. My friend Phil calls them (time suckers). Good detail but it does take a lot of time. ( One of my things I do , is I take pics of the model in various stages and look at the pics for flaws. ) This works very well if you want to put the model in a contest. What I have so far. 

DD75896E-E33E-4530-A379-9E4A7AA36852.jpeg

B85872FF-9DD9-466E-8EEF-1D2D8CABC171.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks for the explanation Bruce.

You mentioned that this is the smallest Ferrari you have worked on.  Isn't the kit 1:24 (standard) scale?  Do you normally work on larger scale (1:16, 1:12, OR 1:8), or even on 1:1 scale Ferraris? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If you want o make it realistic, the valve covers need to be semi-gloss black (more on the flat side). The texture the parts come in would be perfect for the krinkle finish of the original. Also the tubes that collect all the spark wires need to be polished. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Barchettas had the early spec V12 with unpainted cam covers - some with - some without - the decrative ribs - about the magnetos - i’m building one w/ the mags mounted to the rear of the block - but i think ive seen photos of one or two that had front mounted - so MFH may have based their 24th sc kit on a car w the front mounts - i think their 12th sc Barchetta - which they produced last yr - has rear mounted magnetos - anyway - yours look good !  I took this photo at a Cavallino event nearly 20 years ago - sometimes you get lucky …

B225BA11-C725-4791-9956-E28BFF140EBA.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, peteski said:

Thanks for the explanation Bruce.

You mentioned that this is the smallest Ferrari you have worked on.  Isn't the kit 1:24 (standard) scale?  Do you normally work on larger scale (1:16, 1:12, OR 1:8), or even on 1:1 scale Ferraris? 

Hello peteski, I like 1/25-24 the most. I did a 1/43 Ferrari Dino years ago. But it did not have a engine. I kind of fell into big scale a few years ago with my friend Mark. He needed someone to make kits and I was available at the time. He Works for DeAgostini USA. Did a Toyota 2000 gt( remember the lens was crooked and you helped me with that) and things kind of took off. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, absmiami said:

The Barchettas had the early spec V12 with unpainted cam covers - some with - some without - the decrative ribs - about the magnetos - i’m building one w/ the mags mounted to the rear of the block - but i think ive seen photos of one or two that had front mounted - so MFH may have based their 24th sc kit on a car w the front mounts - i think their 12th sc Barchetta - which they produced last yr - has rear mounted magnetos - anyway - yours look good !  I took this photo at a Cavallino event nearly 20 years ago - sometimes you get lucky …

B225BA11-C725-4791-9956-E28BFF140EBA.jpeg

Yes absmiami, I have done the research and the covers were not black. They were raw aluminum. As were most of the other parts. The mags in the mfh car have them in the front but in some photos like yours , they were mounted in the rear. I do not know the reason for that. Thank you sir. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...