Model Cars Magazine Forum

dodge d50 sport

5.0nut

• 2 months later...
On 4/23/2022 at 10:25 AM, Fat Brian said:

I'm down for at least one of these, I like this little kit. You can also get a 3d printed version of the quad headlight grille on Shapeways, it's a nice piece. 

710x528_28837371_15499933_1567526510_1_0.jpg.61a25206a83113c3560aeeb953666c84.jpg

https://www.shapeways.com/product/TL5QRQ8J2/1-25-scale-dodge-ram-50-grille

Looks like you'll still need to scrounge up headlights that fit.

• 1 month later...
5 hours ago, stavanzer said:

Yeah, I saw that. Looks like a nice build. The tires are "Very" funky, but will work. That 1990's tread pattern is just strange on this kit. But, that is a tiny nit-pick.

Those tires are from the AMT Viper kits. The last issue of this kit just had four of the big rear tires.

1 hour ago, Rodent said:

I am thinking that narrowing the wheels a bit to tuck them under the fenders and maybe using some of Fireball's Radial T/As might help this kit a lot.

Even the tires from many of R2s recent releases (like the Datsun 620 p/u) would do wonders!

Here is a build idea, from Gene Winfield. This would involve quite a bit of work but the end result would be so cool. The Olds Toronto engine could be sourced from the recently reissued MPC kit “The Californian”. The Eldorado and the Toronto shared the same engine transaxle setup.

53F0B397-935E-4872-80DF-7FD6EC1E84C6.jpeg

FBEEC2EF-16B8-4454-A690-75C4877F494A.jpeg

It’s a nice kit, well engineered and a lot of detail parts. The chassis will slide right under your street rods too. As I built mine I test fit the chassis under a 40 Ford sedan delivery.

You can also build a Mitsubishi version with some decal magic and that resin grille. 

One thing to note.. actual vehicle has six lug wheels.

1 hour ago, Tom Geiger said:

It’s a nice kit, well engineered and a lot of detail parts. The chassis will slide right under your street rods too. As I built mine I test fit the chassis under a 40 Ford sedan delivery.

You can also build a Mitsubishi version with some decal magic and that resin grille. 

One thing to note.. actual vehicle has six lug wheels.

I think the kit has 6 lug wheels, too- they’re just about 8 scale inches too wide! The wheels themselves look pretty accurate as stock wheels, except for the wideness. Cut them down from the back with a razor saw, find some much skinnier tires, and you should be good. 

My neighborhood Chrysler Plymouth Jeep dealer- Golden Motors in Roxborough, Philadelphia, had an Arrow pickup as a parts runner for many years. Basically a stock pickup in white with Golden CP graphics in gold. They ran that thing for nearly 15 years from what I remember. That might be something I have to build. 

On 6/5/2022 at 7:18 PM, stavanzer said:

Yeah, I saw that. Looks like a nice build. The tires are "Very" funky, but will work. That 1990's tread pattern is just strange on this kit. But, that is a tiny nit-pick.

Haha! In 1:1, those tires would be about $350 each! Most of these probably got Pep Boys $35 specials… 🤣

Edited by CapSat 6

I just watched the review. Those little ram stickers on the decal sheet were used on a LOT of Dodge Trucks from about ‘82-‘85. Now I need to build a stock ‘82 Dodge Van just to use some of those on it!!! 

Forgot just how nice the rest of the kit is, too. And who won’t love the cases of Coke? 

1 hour ago, Tom Geiger said:

5971E242-C136-4B80-A25B-AF6728821EC5.jpeg.a3b3d30de4e744be26ca3d33f04cc2d6.jpeg

I did mine as bare bones stock. I used wheels and tires from the 57 Chevy Black Widow.

I thought those big six lug wheels would be good for Chevy pickups…

I'm thinking of going the same route with mine. I'll see if any of the resin casters have narrow, six-lug steel wheels available; corresponding tyres, too.

Did you retain the kit's "Baby" 904 trans?