Model Cars Magazine Forum

How about a laugh?

Ace-Garageguy

8 hours ago, espo said:

There were times that it really looked like Jackie Gleasson was afraid of Audrey Medows when she would give him that Death Stare.   

Oh yea,she was really the boss of the house.She was the smart one,and despite what Jackie Gleason always said that he was the boss, Audrey Meadows really wore the pants in the family..But whatever it may be,that  was,and still is,one hilarious show.🤣👍👍. IMO though,Barney Miller is another hilarious show.too.

Edited by NYLIBUD
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, ChrisBcritter said:

Along those lines:

earlspby1973.jpg.abaa9b4cc216e91f09f8dc2698e39658.jpg

Bulldozer towing a '57 International dump truck towing half of a PBY-6A Catalina (I took this picture back in 1973; Snake should recognize the location :D).

Hmmmmmm....can't say that I do. Looks like something Walter Soplata would do, but the place is much too clean/organized to be his. (Have you read his son's book? It's fabulous.) 

I don’t understand this picture of this plane.I feel like i’m looking at a plane,yes,but i can’t make out the front of the plane.To me it looks like the plane has an opening front nose,and is that straw coming out of the nose cone?Looks like the plane is throwing up..Idk🤷‍♂️

FB788677-7689-4D92-AA53-6E4785413F83.jpeg

2 minutes ago, NYLIBUD said:

I don’t understand this picture of this plane.I feel like i’m looking at a plane,yes,but i can’t make out the front of the plane.To me it looks like the plane has an opening front nose,and is that straw coming out of the nose cone?Looks like the plane is throwing up..Idk🤷‍♂️

Much of the aircraft is missing...

Consolidated PBY-5A Catalina (28) - Untitled | Aviation Photo #1588779 ...

2 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Much of the aircraft is missing...

Consolidated PBY-5A Catalina (28) - Untitled | Aviation Photo #1588779 ...

Ah thank you sir,so this picture is of what the plane would actually look like?Still the above pic of the plane being towed is a weird photo.

Edited by NYLIBUD

31 minutes ago, NYLIBUD said:

Ah thank you sir,so this picture is of what the plane would actually look like?Still a weird photo.

Yup. A PBY Catalina flying boat, dating back to before WW II.

The wing, both engines, and the fuselage forward of the wing pylon are missing in the other shot.

Though one engine and prop are on the back of the tractor, I don't believe they're from the Cat.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
TYPO

12 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Yup. A PBY Catalina flying boat, dating back to before WW II.

The wing, both engines, and the fuselage forward of the wing pylon are missing in the other shot.

Though one engine and prop are on the back of the tractor, I don't believe they're from the Cat.

I gotcha,again thanks for clearing that up for me Ace.

44 minutes ago, Raoul Ross said:

Are you looking at the yellow-nosed plane in front of the tractor Bill? Looks like a P-51 or a P-40 maybe?

"Duh...muh duh huh unnh?" (as I drool on the keyboard).

Man...I'm blind. Now I see the wings and the flaps drooping. Geez. I better not use anything sharp this PM.   :D

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Raoul Ross said:

Looks like a P-51 or a P-40 maybe?

Doesn't look like a 51 to me. P-40 is most logical but somehow it doesn't look like that to me either. I'm thinking maybe a Buchon, one of those Spanish-built Bf 109 variants that was used in the Battle of Britain movie in the late '60s. Several of those made their way to the US after the filming, and a few are still around. 

Maybe Chris remembers/knows what it is and will share. 

Oh, the one at far left is a B-25. That one I know. B)

CASA HA-112-M1L Buchón 6 | Tony Hisgett | Flickr

Edited by Snake45
  • Like 1

Didn't know my photo would get that many responses! I took that shot at the Victory Air Museum near Mundelein, IL; and yes, that's a Spanish copy of an Me109 in the background - one of six displayed at the field after being used in the movie Battle of Britain. Google "Earl Reinert Victory Air Museum" for more info on the place.

Quick backstory on the half-a-plane: Late WWII Catalina seaplane; later converted to a "flying yacht" and cracked up in Lake Michigan in 1966. Earl bought the salvaged remains and displayed it at the museum until it closed in the mid-80s; then it ended up with the Air Force Museum who saved the side bubble turrets for the PBY they have on display and probably scrapped the rest.

Edited by ChrisBcritter
  • Sad 1

12 hours ago, JollySipper said:

If that truck was so great, they could power all their tools off of it, and they wouldn't need the generators!

As an aside, that thing in the front is a compressor, not a generator. And the red things are plastic cases holding power tools. 

There are all kinds of videos on You Tube showing just how much you can power from a Lightning.

1 hour ago, iamsuperdan said:

...There are all kinds of videos on You Tube showing just how much you can power from a Lightning.

And everyone knows that anything on YT that hasn't been taken down or plastered with disclaimers is absolutely true, correct, and exhaustively, scientifically verified by people who really really do know everything about everything, and is free from any spin trying to push a particular narrative.

Hysterical Laughing GIFs | Tenor

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
CLARITY
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Doesn't look like a 51 to me. ...I'm thinking maybe a Buchon, one of those Spanish-built Bf 109 variants that was used in the Battle of Britain movie in the late '60s. Several of those made their way to the US after the filming, and a few are still around. 

14 hours ago, ChrisBcritter said:

Didn't know my photo would get that many responses! I took that shot at the Victory Air Museum near Mundelein, IL; and yes, that's a Spanish copy of an Me109 in the background - one of six displayed at the field after being used in the movie Battle of Britain. Google "Earl Reinert Victory Air Museum" for more info on the place.

BOO-YA! I finally got something right! :lol:  Chris sent me a pic of the actual Buchon in the pic in question, but I didn't ask his permission to post it, so I won't. B)

Meanwhile, getting back to the topic of Funny Stuff: 

01GGQHM0FPPXGVCWTRM7HA3WYN.jpeg?w=960

5 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

And everyone knows that anything on YT that hasn't been taken down or plastered with disclaimers is absolutely true, correct, and exhaustively, scientifically verified by people who really really do know everything about everything, and is free from any spin trying to push a particular narrative.

Hysterical Laughing GIFs | Tenor

Or I guess I could just go see the clients who have bought our Lightnings and see how they're holding up. One is a work truck for an HVAC contractor, the other is working on a farm. They run all of their tools and equipment just fine. Just like so many of the YT videos out there showing normal people using their trucks. But I guess that doesn't support a particular narrative either.

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, iamsuperdan said:

Or I guess I could just go see the clients who have bought our Lightnings and see how they're holding up. One is a work truck for an HVAC contractor, the other is working on a farm. They run all of their tools and equipment just fine. Just like so many of the YT videos out there showing normal people using their trucks. But I guess that doesn't support a particular narrative either.

Dan, maybe you know something about this. I read an article a short time ago ( can't recall where ) that they tested a new Lightning pulling a 6,000 lb. ( I believe ) trailer and it could only to 85 miles. Have you heard or read that ?

50 minutes ago, cobraman said:

Dan, maybe you know something about this. I read an article a short time ago ( can't recall where ) that they tested a new Lightning pulling a 6,000 lb. ( I believe ) trailer and it could only to 85 miles. Have you heard or read that ?

Yeah, TFL Truck did a test on that. They've done a few Lightning videos, and TFL are pretty honest and accurate about the Lightning and what it can and cannot do.

From experience, if one needs to tow anything, the Lightning is NOT the truck. Yeah, it can handle a trailer no problem, but the range loss is significant. We have our Lightning demo unit here. The boss bought one so we can demo it. It's a Lightning Lariat with the extended range battery. Full charge shows around 400-430km of range. So that's fine. That's almost a Monday to Friday of daily driving stuff. 

But hooking his ski boat up to the back dropped that full charge range to around 120km. He got to the lake and was worried about getting home. That's about a 70km round trip. And it's not a heavy boat.

Totally unacceptable for anyone looking to use their truck for towing duty.