Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell Beretta Pro Street

crowe-t

1 minute ago, TransAmMike said:

I just looked in on your thread here Michael.  Man you have done a lot of impressive work on the Beretta and it's certainly paying off.  Great job so far👌👌

Thanks Mike!  It's slowly coming together.

A bit off topic but yet related. I've seen this chassis stuffed under several Opel GTs and other small cars as a drag racing transformation. Chassis was only useful as a fairground cruiser. I appreciate your efforts to actually make it a legitimate chassis design.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, iBorg said:

A bit off topic but yet related. I've seen this chassis stuffed under several Opel GTs and other small cars as a drag racing transformation. Chassis was only useful as a fairground cruiser. I appreciate your efforts to actually make it a legitimate chassis design.

I'm doing what I can to make the chassis more realistic for drag racing/Pro Street.  It's what it is.  Revell was trying to maximize profits by re-using this chassis in the Beretta and Corvette kits.  It would have been better if I used another chassis but I wasn't planning on doing all this and I started having fun with this one and kept making changes.  Once it's in the body it should be convincing as a Pro Street chassis.  

Please don't think my statement is anything less than praise. I love what you're doing. The rear wheel tubs and the area for the rear differential are great. I picked up a started Firefighter Mustang II that someone did the same think to the chassis. Great improvement.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, iBorg said:

Please don't think my statement is anything less than praise. I love what you're doing. The rear wheel tubs and the area for the rear differential are great. I picked up a started Firefighter Mustang II that someone did the same think to the chassis. Great improvement.

Not at all.  I understood exactly what you were saying.  I really appreciate your kind words.

12 minutes ago, futurattraction said:

You're doing a phenomenal job with all your mods on this Michael.  Chassis updates make a huge difference!

Thanks Scott!  I have a Futurattraction B&M Pro Stick I'll be using in the interior.

Great work you're doing to modify the kit. I always liked the look of the Beretta and really liked this kit when it came out. You are making it so much better. I have peeked in on this project for a while now and just now sat down and read through it all. I am building a modified body 69 Nova that my friend started. I've been using the 55 Pro Mod chassis and working it over to fit. Reading through this build has helped me immensely to see what I need to do. Thanks, and keep it up.

Later-

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Modlbldr said:

Great work you're doing to modify the kit. I always liked the look of the Beretta and really liked this kit when it came out. You are making it so much better. I have peeked in on this project for a while now and just now sat down and read through it all. I am building a modified body 69 Nova that my friend started. I've been using the 55 Pro Mod chassis and working it over to fit. Reading through this build has helped me immensely to see what I need to do. Thanks, and keep it up.

Later-

Tom, thanks for the compliment and for taking the time to read through my thread.

• Like 1

I started making the exhaust system.  The headers will attach where the green lines are.  They'll be cutoffs where the red arrows are pointing.  Behind the mufflers they'll be short pipes that bend out in front of the rear tires.  The mufflers will be Flowmaster 40 series.   

IMG_3602 b Small.jpg

Edited by crowe-t
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, crowe-t said:

I started making the exhaust system.  The headers will attach where the green lines are.  They'll be cutoffs where the red arrows are pointing.  Behind the mufflers they'll be short pipes that bend out in front of the rear tires.  The mufflers will be Flowmaster 40 series.   

Pro-stocks are notoriously low to the ground. Have you set the ride height yet to verify you have room for an exhaust system?

21 hours ago, Jantrix said:

Pro-stocks are notoriously low to the ground. Have you set the ride height yet to verify you have room for an exhaust system?

It sits real low.  I'll most likely have to notch out the chassis rails to get the the exhaust to sit in closer for more clearance.

• 1 month later...

It's been a few weeks since my last update.  Since then I raised the roll cage up about 2.5 mm.  The top of the roll cage was sitting too low.  I had to cheat it up but now the top of the roll cage is up by the roof.  Due to raising the roll cage I had to raise up the top 2 bars in the engine compartment area to make it look right.  I cut off the black plastic bars and replaced them with styrene rods.

I rebuilt the 4 link and mounted the coil overs.  The first 4 link I made had the rear housing in the wrong position.  I have to strip the orange paint off the coil overs before re-painting them.  I added some more of the rear underside framing.  

I tested a color for the body.  The spoon is painted with a mix of Gravity Colors McLaren Mira Orange and Lamborghini Arancio Borrealis.  The McLaren Mira Orange is basically a red color so I added some to the Lamborghini Arancio Borrealis which is a light orange color.  This mixture is 7 parts Lamborghini Arancio Borrealis and 1 part McLaren Mira Orange.  I might add some more of the McLaren Mira Orange to darken it but so far I really like the color.  It's a red-orange color.

IMG_3739 Small.jpg

IMG_3742 Small.jpg

IMG_3745 Small.jpg

IMG_3755 Small.jpg

IMG_3764 Small.jpg

IMG_3772 Small.jpg

IMG_3773 Small.jpg

IMG_3749 Small.jpg

IMG_3753 Small.jpg

Edited by crowe-t
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 6/14/2022 at 10:07 AM, Steve H said:

Hi Michael, really enjoying this build. You are making huge improvements to this kit, it’s going to cool watching it all come together. That colour will look fantastic! 

Thanks Steve.

I've been getting this ready for paint.  I still have to finish the exhaust system and a couple of other small details.

I noticed the rear wheel tubs got thin on the tops from shaping them.  This week I cut the top section off the driver's side wheel tub and made a new section with .75mm Sheet styrene.  This week I'll do the same on the passenger side wheel tub.  The new wheel tub is sturdier and the shape is better.  It's also slightly wider on top so the tire fits better.

1329224411_IMG_4052Small.jpg.919bf580d068dc1b19004a3268563471.jpg

IMG_4044 Small.jpg

IMG_4050 Small.jpg

IMG_4057 Small.jpg

Edited by crowe-t
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...