Model Cars Magazine Forum

1963 Chevy II NHRA SS/RA ca. 1975

This was my attempt for the 24 hour build. I didn't make my deadline (0200, 01/30/22), but got it a bit over halfway done. Anyway...the headers and slapper bars are scratchbuilt. I cast the wheels in nail resin. Front tires are Frontrunners from a Monogram Pro Stock kit (lettering to the inside, since this is a curbside). Rears are AMT Parts Pack Goodyears. I mixed the major blue using Model Master Pontiac Engine Blue, and Arctic Blue. I should get it finished up in the next few days. As always, questions, comments and critiques are welcome. Thanks for looking!

2DSC_0003cr.jpg

DSC_0011cr.jpg

DSC_0002cr.jpg

DSC_0006cr.jpg

DSC_0009cr.jpg

DSC_0010cr.jpg

DSC_0012cr.jpg

Edited by Straightliner59
  • Like 2

On 1/30/2022 at 1:27 PM, Ace-Garageguy said:

Nice. I've always had a soft spot for draggin' wagons.  :D

Oooh! And Modified Production! Especially M/P!

I got the grille finished. Reworked the headlights. I drilled out the flat backs of the kit, and replaced them with tooling aluminum discs, domed with a doming block set--a great investment for scratchbuilders, BTW. Roll bar is assembled and painted. I'll add bolt heads to the mounting plates, and install it. I am super happy with its fit! As always, questions, comments and critiques are welcomed. Thanks for looking!

DSC_0001cr.jpg

DSC_0002cr.jpg

DSC_0007cr.jpg

DSC_0010cr.jpg

• Like 1

I got the bolts added, and the rollbar installed. I painted the inside of the roof and cut a headliner from a sheet of textured paper I had lying around. The inner roof is painted Humbrol Azure Blue, and the headliner is a Humbrol sky blue. I've had many of these tins of paint for about forty years. I stirred them and added a little spec paint thinner, and they worked beautifully! I used some photoetched door handles and window cranks I had in a drawer, and made knobs for the cranks from shor lengths of Evergreen rod. I see a couple of spots that could use some paint touch up, but, I mixed the metallic blue, and I used it all. Comments, etc.--bring 'em! Thanks for lookin'!

DSC_0005cr.jpg

DSC_0006cr.jpg

DSC_0008cr.jpg

DSC_0010cr.jpg

• Like 2

I've done a few more things, to it, in the last couple of days. Rules recommend a rollbar. If you have a rollbar, you also must have shoulder straps. Therefore, I went with a four-way setup. I installed some photo-reduced gauges and clear lenses. I built the wheel from two cut-apart kit pieces. I thought one of those old metalflake blue Moon steering wheels would be sexy! She's coming along. As always, comments, questions and critiques are welcome. Thanks for looking! For the record, I have dulled the sidewalls of the slicks, since I last got photos of them.

DSC_0006cr.jpg

DSC_0008cr.jpg

DSC_0003cr.jpg

DSC_0002cr.jpg

DSC_0006cr.JPG

DSC_0011cr.JPG

I finally finished the interior. I just thermo-formed a new windshield from .010" clear sheet. I'm going to make sure the bumpers fit well, and properly, then will foil the body. Then, it'll be just a matter of putting on the final bits, then putting it all together. I'll then call it done, while I finish up the graphics and decals. I'm pretty happy with the interior! I forgot to mention, earlier, that I had to cut the rear seat apart, and make it look like it was folded, in order to clear  the rollbar. I reckon you've already figured that out, but, felt I should clarify. Questions, comments and critiques are always welcome. Thanks for looking!

2DSC_0002cr.jpg

2DSC_0004cr.jpg

2DSC_0009cr.jpg

2DSC_0010cr.jpg

3DSC_0001cr.jpg

3DSC_0003cr.jpg

3DSC_0006cr.jpg

3DSC_0008cr.jpg

DSC_0002cr.jpg

DSC_0006cr.JPG

Edited by Straightliner59
  • Like 1

Dan,  As a stock elim. and station wagon fan I think you picked a great subject for this build. My only disappointment was no engine detail but I completely understand why your not going that route. It's looking good and anxious to see your progress. When completed it will surely look the part when "stock" was "stock". 

Glen

7 hours ago, Ian McLaren said:

I love stock Eliminator cars and the wagons are awesome, I really like what your doing here!

Thanks, Ian. This is my first one. They're definitely cool!

4 hours ago, Glen Powers said:

Dan,  As a stock elim. and station wagon fan I think you picked a great subject for this build. My only disappointment was no engine detail but I completely understand why your not going that route. It's looking good and anxious to see your progress. When completed it will surely look the part when "stock" was "stock". 

Glen

I appreciate that, Glen! I figured the curbside version would at least give me a shot at completing it in the 24 hour window. Not so much! I'm about halfway done with the foil, now, so should get it finished, today, except for the graphics. I haven't had time to work on those, much, yet. From the minute this kit was announced, I knew exactly what I wanted to do with it. It's been even more fun, because my first car was a '63 Chevy II four door, white, with the blue interior. 

10 hours ago, larman said:

Wow! Great job!  Love that roll bar and the belt is outstanding!

Thanks, Larry! I am very happy with the rollbar, too. 

56 minutes ago, dragcarz said:

SWEET BUILD!!!!  I love this! Looks great! 

Thank you, Roger. Shouldn't be too much longer, now, since I think the foil's done!

It's pretty cool how much that thin metal sheet can really bring a model to life. I'm going to do the emblems with paint. I would have done them, with foil, under the paint, but, it was supposed to be the 24 Hour build, so I didn't figure it would be a good idea to try that, for the first time, then. In hindsight...

This leaves windows, emblems and graphics, basically. As always, questions, comments and critiques are welcome. Thanks for looking!

DSC_0002cr.jpg

DSC_0004cr.jpg

DSC_0012cr.jpg

DSC_0016cr.jpg

DSC_0018cr.jpg

• Straightliner59 changed the title to 1963 Chevy II NHRA SS/RA ca. 1975