Model Cars Magazine Forum

Quad Al dragster model i just finished

Jr Roberts

This is a model of Jim Lytle's Quad Al dragster from the mid 1960's that i just finished custom building. The model has (4) V1710 Allison air plane engines, I Chopped the Fiat body, Custom built chassis and drive train, Including some misc. parts from the Revell Tommy Ivo Showboat dragster & The Revell Mickey Thompson Challenger 1 salt flats race car. I saw the original car last year at a car show and it blew me away, So i had to recreate one for myself. There was a magazine article in the October 1965 Rod & Custom magazine that helped with the reference's in building this wild dragster. There are also some misc. articles on the web. I started the build in May 2021 and just finished today (January 30, 2022). I tried to wire & plumb it accordingly. Thanks for looking, Jr. Roberts

DSCN2476.JPG

DSCN2468.JPG

DSCN2442.JPG

DSCN2451.JPG

DSCN2453.JPG

DSCN2470.JPG

DSCN2469.JPG

DSCN2460.JPG

• Like 1

Beautiful work of an amazing piece of nostalgic history.  Just have to believe the torque-steer on that front drive axle would be overwhelming.  One thing I would like to mention is that you may should have switched the exhaust manifolds from side to side on the two front engines to allow the openings to point toward the rear. Still, some very masterful modeling.

Hi TarheelRick, 

Thank you for the compliments on Quad AL, I decided to make the front exhaust point forward as the carburetors are in the middle, Unlike the real one i was thinking of a fire hazard. I forgot to mention there are 96 exhaust pipes (i ordered these 4 at a time from Shapeways 3 D printing). 

Thanks again to everyone for the kind words.

Jr. Roberts 

Simply increadable,  both the model and the real car.  A great recreation that really captures the feeling of the actual car as well as a good dose of the lunacy involved  LOL.  A very ambitious project  well done. Hard to believe they are making close to the same horsepower now with only 8 cylinders and 500 cubic inches.

• 2 months later...