Jump to content
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Rusty A-Model Coupe


customline
 Share

Recommended Posts

Some of you may have seen this one on another forum several years ago and there's one shot in the RUST! Thread. This '30 coupe was inspired by the 1:1 I saw in a Coker Tire ad. My rendering is not an exact model  but an attempt to capture the general look of the fantastic Hemi coupe pictured below.

07018803bce3e17c54a0d469c79aa3d0.jpg.4ba80b576b21f45032e837f6ddce8e9e.jpgIMG_1810.jpg.3b49e24c4284ee2e9b0f8d88794fbfd6.jpgOKIMG_1812.jpg.00ba73eef3ca8db72a316ab8800de5ec.jpgIMG_1813.jpg.7a47fea00d7dbe5710741f1615bb93bb.jpgIMG_1819.thumb.jpg.be0fa6ec6899154e13444f12c7ca169b.jpgIMG_1814.thumb.jpg.55cc0d177c26d4e1e62770537f32e633.jpgI wanted to cap off the carbs with those little snorkels but never got around to it. I must do that.....IMG_1820.jpg.c007ee54c98bc2f936035a2a921ffa9d.jpg

IMG_1811.jpg

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, happy grumpy said:

Absolutely gorgeous, it looks close enough to me. It may not be 100% accurate but it is 100% realistic, I'll take realism over accuracy every time. You just nailed it.

I agree, nice job.  LIKE YOUR RUST!!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well weathered looking finishes. The headers remind me of some years ago I might of hand a hand in. You can only do so much with acetylene and coat hangers. The finish on the top insert looks good as well. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, espo said:

Well weathered looking finishes. The headers remind me of some years ago I might of hand a hand in. You can only do so much with acetylene and coat hangers. The finish on the top insert looks good as well. 

Coat hangers are a no-no 🤫 but oxy/acetylene welding isn't easy. I built a set of headers, way back when, using a torch.....it wasn't pretty and at the time I was welding for a living. The headers on my model look like they were found at the bottom of a creek. They do look like they were cobbled together by a kid just learning to gas weld.💩

The top is a piece of ribbon that I saturated with dull-coat and after it set I hit it with flat black and then laid it on a simulation of the top stringers and rubbed over them. 

 

 

Ders

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, customline said:

Coat hangers are a no-no 🤫 but oxy/acetylene welding isn't easy. I built a set of headers, way back when, using a torch.....it wasn't pretty and at the time I was welding for a living. The headers on my model look like they were found at the bottom of a creek. They do look like they were cobbled together by a kid just learning to gas weld.💩

The top is a piece of ribbon that I saturated with dull-coat and after it set I hit it with flat black and then laid it on a simulation of the top stringers and rubbed over them. 

 

 

Ders

I agree, but you know sometimes you do with what you have and what you know. Like my father used to tell me, a lot it seems. "You're too soon old and to later smart". 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, espo said:

I agree, but you know sometimes you do with what you have and what you know. Like my father used to tell me, a lot it seems. "You're too soon old and to later smart". 

Oh, he was certainly right about that! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

That is an exceptional model, Jim. I'm a big fan of shiny rods but your rusty coupe is so convincing ya just have to like it!  A trick I have been using for realistic megaphones is to recycle the ferrules of otherwise dead paintbrushes.  They work a treat and you get a very realistic wall thickness.

Cheers

Alan

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/1/2022 at 12:38 PM, happy grumpy said:

Absolutely gorgeous, it looks close enough to me. It may not be 100% accurate but it is 100% realistic, I'll take realism over accuracy every time. You just nailed it.

+1.

Mark

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, alan barton said:

That is an exceptional model, Jim. I'm a big fan of shiny rods but your rusty coupe is so convincing ya just have to like it!  A trick I have been using for realistic megaphones is to recycle the ferrules of otherwise dead paintbrushes.  They work a treat and you get a very realistic wall thickness.

Cheers

Alan

That's what they are,Alan, paint brush ferrules. Thanks for your interest 🙂 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...