Model Cars Magazine Forum

Rusty A-Model Coupe

customline

Some of you may have seen this one on another forum several years ago and there's one shot in the RUST! Thread. This '30 coupe was inspired by the 1:1 I saw in a Coker Tire ad. My rendering is not an exact model  but an attempt to capture the general look of the fantastic Hemi coupe pictured below.

07018803bce3e17c54a0d469c79aa3d0.jpg.4ba80b576b21f45032e837f6ddce8e9e.jpgIMG_1810.jpg.3b49e24c4284ee2e9b0f8d88794fbfd6.jpgOKIMG_1812.jpg.00ba73eef3ca8db72a316ab8800de5ec.jpgIMG_1813.jpg.7a47fea00d7dbe5710741f1615bb93bb.jpgIMG_1819.thumb.jpg.be0fa6ec6899154e13444f12c7ca169b.jpgIMG_1814.thumb.jpg.55cc0d177c26d4e1e62770537f32e633.jpgI wanted to cap off the carbs with those little snorkels but never got around to it. I must do that.....IMG_1820.jpg.c007ee54c98bc2f936035a2a921ffa9d.jpg

IMG_1811.jpg

• Like 6

35 minutes ago, espo said:

Well weathered looking finishes. The headers remind me of some years ago I might of hand a hand in. You can only do so much with acetylene and coat hangers. The finish on the top insert looks good as well. 

Coat hangers are a no-no 🤫 but oxy/acetylene welding isn't easy. I built a set of headers, way back when, using a torch.....it wasn't pretty and at the time I was welding for a living. The headers on my model look like they were found at the bottom of a creek. They do look like they were cobbled together by a kid just learning to gas weld.💩

The top is a piece of ribbon that I saturated with dull-coat and after it set I hit it with flat black and then laid it on a simulation of the top stringers and rubbed over them. 

Ders

1 minute ago, customline said:

Coat hangers are a no-no 🤫 but oxy/acetylene welding isn't easy. I built a set of headers, way back when, using a torch.....it wasn't pretty and at the time I was welding for a living. The headers on my model look like they were found at the bottom of a creek. They do look like they were cobbled together by a kid just learning to gas weld.💩

The top is a piece of ribbon that I saturated with dull-coat and after it set I hit it with flat black and then laid it on a simulation of the top stringers and rubbed over them. 

Ders

I agree, but you know sometimes you do with what you have and what you know. Like my father used to tell me, a lot it seems. "You're too soon old and to later smart". 

That is an exceptional model, Jim. I'm a big fan of shiny rods but your rusty coupe is so convincing ya just have to like it!  A trick I have been using for realistic megaphones is to recycle the ferrules of otherwise dead paintbrushes.  They work a treat and you get a very realistic wall thickness.

Cheers

Alan

4 hours ago, alan barton said:

That is an exceptional model, Jim. I'm a big fan of shiny rods but your rusty coupe is so convincing ya just have to like it!  A trick I have been using for realistic megaphones is to recycle the ferrules of otherwise dead paintbrushes.  They work a treat and you get a very realistic wall thickness.

Cheers

Alan

That's what they are,Alan, paint brush ferrules. Thanks for your interest 🙂