Model Cars Magazine Forum

¬ 'Spatula' Type Plastic Scraper ¬

Ever since watching a tutorial regarding ejector pin marques on Luka Cee's YouTube channel last night, I've been on a quest for a plastic scraper. 

He mentions that Tamiya makes one, and that the one he's employed for the video was a Squadron piece. 

I've found the Squadron piece ( Squadron Products SEAM SCRAPER [SQU10203] - HobbyTown ) and seems like no one has it (i.e., 'out-of-stock') . I've had no luck finding the Tamiya scraper... 

Is there another alternative? 

I've been using different X-Acto blades for scraping ejector pin marques, but am not comfortable with that approach. I'd rather have a tool that's specific for that use (better control and a 'cleaner' edge on the business end).

Thanks much.

3 hours ago, Sandboarder said:

SMS do a ceramic scraper

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/www.scalemodeller.com.au/products/ceramic-scraper%3fview=amp

The other tool you linked looks like a clay shaping/sculpting tool. 

3 hours ago, Dpate said:

The SMS Ceramic scraper is what you want.  Safer than a x-acto you can't cut yourself or gouge the plastic.  It's pricey but worth every penny. Haven't touched a X-acto blade since owning the SMS ceramic scraper.  

Thanks to both of you for your replies. 

should have specified that, when I'm talking about employing an Xacto for scraping ejector marques, I'm using the 'atypical' blades (e.g., not the Number 11), 

I'm looking for an in es. hand-held 'planer' or scraper; a tool which I may use to pull-towards me whose scraping surface is 'flat'(bevelled ?).

Here's the Luka Cee tutorial featuring the scraper

5 hours ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

I've had decent luck with the Xacto #10 blade. Not pointed, so no gouging. You can scrape a little below the surface and then fill with putty, or cut low to the surface and slice it off. Easier than the #11

20220202_222129.png.244a174c42ad4651979ded814f8e915e.png

I've always liked that #10 blade for many functions.

14 hours ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

I've had decent luck with the Xacto #10 blade. Not pointed, so no gouging. You can scrape a little below the surface and then fill with putty, or cut low to the surface and slice it off. Easier than the #11

20220202_222129.png.244a174c42ad4651979ded814f8e915e.png

That's exactly what I've been using. I just don't trust my arthritis anymore (haha) as I've slipped-and-gouged too many times with that blade.

Thanks ne'er-the-less for the suggestion.