Model Cars Magazine Forum

My 11 1/2 year oldest build

Eric Macleod

First off this is not automobile related but I thought you all would appreciate this effort.  My daughter Olivia builds room dioramas. This is her most recent build. Every one of them has gotten better, neater and more precise.  I think she has a very bright modeling future.  Her dad (me) is very proud of her. 20220203_215358.thumb.jpg.4b8748eafcaa449cf7af7a6608a821eb.jpg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, cobraman said:

Looks nice, good work. Does she have one of the doll houses that dad builds and paints ? I built a 10 room 3 story one for my sister years ago. Took me the better part of a year.

No. This is 100% her. The only thing I have done for her is to show her how to prop things in place, or clamp them so the dry as she wants.

On 2/5/2022 at 9:22 AM, Anglia105E said:

I can see from that photo that your daughter clearly has great potential , and her skill must be directly inherited from her father. There is a lot of detail packed into that small space !

David

Thank you everyone.  I've shared these posts with her and she just grins.  David, you are right. I don't know the scale of her model for sure but I would have to say around 1/32 or so. Clearly it is small as the whole diorama is about a 4-5" square, at most.

That's really creative for someone her age! She has a good eye for composition, color, and details. The objects she used show careful consideration of placement and purpose. These are exactly the qualities you'd see in a good still-life painting. When I studied painting in college, we learned that a good still life painting could tell a story with simple inanimate objects. You can convey life without having a single living thing in the picture, and in fact, SHOULD appear that everyone has just stepped out of the picture's view. This captures that feeling, which is what makes it so impressive to me. Bravo! You have to be a proud dad! Now, just don't let these comments go to her head, and make every one better in some way from this one on!

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/9/2022 at 1:13 AM, Eric Macleod said:

Olivia responded "they are all really nice." I find she is advanced in her modeling skills far beyond where I was at her age. It won't be long before she is raiding my kit stash...and I ap pretty okay with that. 

Good idea to let her reduce the size of your kit stash !

David

• 3 months later...

Great job, by her and yourself. Getting kids into art is a must. My daughter is 26 and still paints and draws. May your daughter continue her talent on into her golden years.