Model Cars Magazine Forum

The Official 3D Printing Discussion Thread

On 9/28/2022 at 6:26 PM, Kenmojr said:

I found this partially completed model of a hot rod gasser at GrabCad. It is missing some parts like engine, grille, moon tank.

https://grabcad.com/library/hot-rod-model-a-gasser-1/details?folder_id=5620843

How did you get those files in Blender? They show as a proprietary file type. Thanks.

I decided earlier this year that I would buy myself a 3d printer, so I downloaded Designspark and taught myself 3d drawing whilst I waited for a good 3d printer at an entry level price and eventually prices for the Anycubic Photon Mono 4k came down so I grabbed one and a wash and cure unit as well. So after a month of printing this is what I have come up with so far.

I will mostly be using it for wheels and other small parts that I require. Here are some wheels. The tyre is also printed but I haven't done a full set yet.

zjEE16.jpg

One thing that I need lots of is fire extinguishers. Usually I scratchbuild a batch of them at a time but now I can print as many as I want.

cMckar.jpg

Bullet mirrors are a hard to find aftermarket item that I will also need several of.

y6aEx6.jpg

Some mufflers too.

DqbAYB.jpg

I have a Mazda RX3 in my future but the kit tail light units in the kit were the wrong ones so....

EMLNBv.jpg

The one single part that I have always wanted on a model was Ford Australia's Snowflake wheels so I did these once I was confident in my drawing abilities.

Rdc68w.jpg
joaxV3.jpg

I have to say that I was losing a bit of love for the whole hobby but now having a 3d printer has opened up many more options for which models to build.  The problem now is needing to spend less time printing and more time building.

Speaking now as someone new to printing if I can offer some advice to others looking to start resin printing-

Expect expense. 3d printing is expensive to start and also you will need to spend money on consumables. Resin, FEP sheets, your chosen cleaning fluid, paper towels, gloves etc all disappear quickly and it all adds up. Also If you are looking to do your own drawing an old slow computer won't cut it so you may need an upgrade.

You need space. You will have a printer, a wash and cure station, storage for consumables and somewhere you can prep and finish your parts afterwards. You will also need a bin close at hand.

Mess. Printing can be messy no matter how hard you try to keep everything clean the resin seems to find a way to get everywhere you don't want it to go.

Use low odour resin. There are plenty of warnings about toxic fumes from normal resin so find a resin with low odour and you won't have to worry about that. Use water washable resin as is has almost no smell/fumes.

Do your research but don't be intimidated or overwhelmed by the information overload that you will come across especially on YouTube. Figure out which printer set up you want that suits your needs and budget and once you start printing things you can figure out the small details such as slicing, exposure times etc.

Have fun.

Cheers

ShawnS

• Like 2

On 9/25/2022 at 5:07 PM, stitchdup said:

Is there a better site than cults for files? I'm not saying its slow but i've cut my fingernails twice since it started loading

Hey Les, Cults had a banner up this weekend stating that they were working on the slow loading issue and it seems to have worked. I finally enjoyed going through some of my fav designers sites. A couple of item pics didn't load but not a widespread problem. It was early this morning in the U.S. so I'll still have to check at a heavier traffic time here.

• Thanks 1

3D Coat is now offering a FREE version of their commercial app, 3D Coat Print. I've been using the commercial version of 3D Coat for over 10 years. It is a sculpting app like ZBrush but also does texturing & uv mapping like Substance Painter.

Download available at link below :

https://pilgway.com/product/3dcoatprint

Youtube videos on 3D Coat

Whoa!  Trying out 3DCoat has been on my to-do list for a while now (for concept art, not for 3D printing though), so this is very interesting. It will allow me to familiarize myself with the toolset. Later I may decide to spring for a subscription for the full-featured software; no doubt this is their goal. Thanks for the heads-up!

• Like 1

So, can someone help a non tech guy out and explain just what I need to do to have parts printed that I’m pretty sure do not exist in scale anywhere? Are there folks out there that create the print files? And how would I find these people if they do exist?🤔

20 minutes ago, Fantom said:

So, can someone help a non tech guy out and explain just what I need to do to have parts printed that I’m pretty sure do not exist in scale anywhere? Are there folks out there that create the print files? And how would I find these people if they do exist?🤔

This thread is a great place to start. Lots of resources here. Plus, have a look in the aftermarket sections here on the forums. There are people who are assisting with design work.

What exactly are you looking for?

Once you have found a file to print, there are commercial printing services out there. Or if asked nicely, some of us here have done printing for others. :)

56 minutes ago, iamsuperdan said:

This thread is a great place to start. Lots of resources here. Plus, have a look in the aftermarket sections here on the forums. There are people who are assisting with design work.

What exactly are you looking for?

Once you have found a file to print, there are commercial printing services out there. Or if asked nicely, some of us here have done printing for others. :)

I’m looking for some ac  and alternator brackets for a 1/8 trans am. I wouldn’t even know where to begin 

8 hours ago, crowe-t said:

Which glue is a better bond for PLA parts, CA or Epoxy?

I use both, but CA is my go-to. I use epoxy for parts that need a really strong adhesion. I used it to put the two sections of my Karmann-Ghia body together, and I'll use it for a chassis sometimes.

When using CA, I almost exclusively use the gel.

how do you guys get lychee to work. i get a file loaded and it crashes every time. I've tried multiple files but every time it crashes. I've tried both computers, with nothing else running but it just wont play nice.  I just want to do my first print. i've tried reinstalling and updating but nothing is working. is there another free program that works? I'm happy to buy the program when i get comfortable with printing but right now all i want to do is print something. it was working finefor the past week until i set up the printer today

On 10/12/2022 at 4:13 PM, stitchdup said:

how do you guys get lychee to work. i get a file loaded and it crashes every time. I've tried multiple files but every time it crashes. I've tried both computers, with nothing else running but it just wont play nice.  I just want to do my first print. i've tried reinstalling and updating but nothing is working. is there another free program that works? I'm happy to buy the program when i get comfortable with printing but right now all i want to do is print something. it was working finefor the past week until i set up the printer today

Hey Les, I can't help you but I use Lychee exclusively and its never happened to me. I also suggest reinstalling if you haven't already. Good luck!

On 10/12/2022 at 4:13 PM, stitchdup said:

I apologize that I missed the part where you said you tried reinstalling with no change. 

Chitubox has a free version. I've used it several times with no problems.

Did your printer come with a slicer on the included thumb drive?

39 minutes ago, stinkybritches said:

I apologize that I missed the part where you said you tried reinstalling with no change. 

Chitubox has a free version. I've used it several times with no problems.

Did your printer come with a slicer on the included thumb drive?

yes but i've been learning on lychee and i like how it works/displays. The included slicer i found not as nice to use. I think the problem is my laptop not being specced enough. I can get it to work until the slicing starts, then it crashes if the layers are 0.01 but works on 0.05. I'm looking into upgrading or replacing my laptop now.

• Like 1

Maybe it was luck, but our PC crashed just before I bought my printer. It was older, so we knew we needed to upgrade. And since I knew I was going to need to run the printing software, I made sure it could handle it. 

Have been using the free Chitubox with zero issues.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, stitchdup said:

... I can get it to work until the slicing starts, then it crashes if the layers are 0.01 but works on 0.05. I'm looking into upgrading or replacing my laptop now.

0.05 is more than good enough for parts in 1/24 and 1/25 scale. I've stopped trying to print below 0.05 microns. Siraya Tech (the only brand of resin I use anymore) recommends not to go below 0.025 with their resin. They say that you will still be exposing the previously cured layers if your layers are too thin. The thinner the layer the more critical the exposure time. Over and under exposing can change the dimensions of the part dramatically.

Play around with the AA and blur to combat visible later lines. How the parts are oriented on the build plate also plays a big role.

Here is a great video about getting a smooth surface using angles and AA.

Edited by stinkybritches
messed up
  • Thanks 1